The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Merry Christmas, guys... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Merry Christmas, guys...
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted December 25, 2012 01:47 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
We also had a white one here in NJ.

Merry Christmas!

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 25, 2012 03:00 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Dave the lefsa was good but you have to shop around to find the good stuff..
We make some dam good lefsa here but just don't have the time to get everyone together to make it..Another tradition going down the tubes.

As for "uff daa" or any other Scandic words you don't hear much around these parts except from some of the real oldies or perhaps farther north..

Edit to add. Was hopeing to take the kids ice fishing over on a pond but the temp.s are a little low to have them out on the ice...

[ December 25, 2012, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
TundraWookie
Knows what it's all about
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted December 25, 2012 05:18 PM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,
Is it Lefse, or Lefsa? I was just curious what exactly it is. It looks like a Norwegian flatbread if it's Lefse. Sounds good.

Time to go slice up the 10 pound Prime Rib for the family and chow down. Things really warmed up here, it hit 15ºF at the house and was -3ºF in town, which sure beats the -40ºF stuff we've had lately. My big Christmas gift was a Ground Source Heating system for the house and new radiant floors and flooring. Talk about a massive project for mostly the one man show. That "gift" started back in August.

Everyone have a Merry Christmas and enjoy the food and family time.

Posts: 857 | From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 25, 2012 05:25 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is it Lefse, or Lefsa?
You can go either way on the spelling... [Smile]

Guess you could call it a flat bread. Its just like a soft shell tortillas (flour tortilla).
Potatos,cream, flour,sugar are some of the ingredents.
When done its just a flat sheet you can spread butter on and then roll up and eat or you can also add some turkey, chicken or what have you...
The secrete in makeing good lefsa is in the choice of potato you use and the people that make it from batter to the griddle..

Edit to add: Fred feed that dog a little more food...

[ December 25, 2012, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2012 07:23 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
We got some flurries here, Christmas Eve, but not quite enough to blanket the area.

Tim, I wouldn't mind the dog holding a couple extra pounds on him, especially during the cold winter months. But he's always maintained a really lean build, even with ultra high protein food and additives, fed twice a day...
 -
Maybe if I kept him kenneled up & sedentary instead of runnin' him for miles everyday, he'd soften up?
 -

Hope everyone's Christmas was as pleasant as ours!

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2012 08:05 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Add a little egg nog to the food dish. [Wink]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7577 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
R.Shaw
Peanut Butter Man, da da da da DAH!
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2012 08:50 AM      Profile for R.Shaw           Edit/Delete Post 
Melt some lard and pour it on the dry dog food. Waxy fat in 2-3 days.
Posts: 545 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2012 09:03 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Muscular little fella! Why is his personality docked?

Yeah, lard. One would think I have been pouring it on my Wheaties, by the look of me?

Christmas is over, always anticipated, always a relief when it's over.

Good hunting. Lima Brav 0

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Possumal
HONORARY CALLS FORUM MODERATOR edit: AND TOKEN LIBERAL
Member # 823

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2012 09:21 AM      Profile for Possumal   Author's Homepage   Email Possumal         Edit/Delete Post 
Fred, in my opinion, that dog looks just right. I wouldn't change a thing. If you let him lay around, he'll fatten up. Your way is the best.

--------------------
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Posts: 781 | From: Nicholasville, Ky. | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2012 10:18 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
And, I agree with Al.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cayotaytalker
DOES NOT TEACH/SUSPECTED OKIE
Member # 1954

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2012 11:40 AM      Profile for Cayotaytalker   Email Cayotaytalker         Edit/Delete Post 
A day late and a dollar short merry christmas to you all.

--------------------
Now thats prime coyote country!

Posts: 403 | From: LasVegas Nevada | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2012 11:52 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the votes of confidence, gents.
Randy, I've tried upp-ing his caloric intake with fatty ends, but too much gives him the runs. Might try the rendered lard, maybe that'd be easier on him?

Missed Swedish Christmas Eve dinner at mom's, but just nuked a prepared plate for lunch today, here at the shop. Moms hooked it up!!! Baked cod, stuffed sole, boiled potatos & stewed tomatoes and Swedish quiche. Some lutfisk, pickled herring, hardboiled eggs & gjetost cheese and knäckebröd on the side. Not crazy about lutfisk, but the rest was fuggin' delicious!!! Great Viking 'feel good' food [Smile]

CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2012 01:07 PM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
Fred, my kemmer has the same body condition. I just make sure she has enough calories to maintain body condition. The fat will do you more harm than good if you are feeding a good dog food. It will coat the digestive tract limiting nutrient absorption...thus the runs. Extruding dog food has allowed the use of animal byproducts to be used as primary sources of protein and fat(energy). Other plant products are still vital, especially with fiber sources, they slow the digestive tract allowing more absorption. If your dog is as active as mine, his conditioning is fine. The only thing you might could do is try to avoid a negative energy balance by supplementing a lean protein source between feedings.

Maintain

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
DiYi
Wears wife's pink panties under his camo for good luck. (yeah, right!)
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2012 01:19 PM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
Aaah,warms my gastro-intestinal tract to just see the word 'lutfisk'(being Norwegian,I prefer 'lutefisk')again.

I used my annual portion of it wisely this year.We were pestered by a pair of skunks under our house so I threw my Lutefisk under there.It got rid of the skunks but now we've got Swedes instead.Uff da! [Eek!]

[ December 26, 2012, 01:21 PM: Message edited by: DiYi ]

Posts: 623 | From: SoDak | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2012 02:37 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
We have none of this honky soul food around here? As far as I am aware, our ethnic food consists of Italian, Mexican, Chinese and maybe the odd French restaurant?

In fact, just a couple blocks away is a well known Italian Market called Claro's. I personally know people that travel 50 miles from Hesperia to buy stuff at Claro's. They may not know where Upland is, but they know where Claro's is: go figure.

But, that's it! Not even a Jewish Deli around here, that I know of? All Scandinavians are in short supply, as is Polish, of course. I wouldn't know Polish food if you shoved it down my throat, but my wife's cousin from Chicago visited here once and made some kind of mashed potato dish with seeds in it, could have been caraway seeds. When we went back there for an ethnic wedding, the pollacks didn't even look like me and were decidedly standoffish; perhaps because everybody kinda hates Californians?

We used to get Easter hot cross buns from local bakeries when I lived in Minneesota, as a kid. All the markets had dried whitefish in barrels and they sold pickled herrings and kippersnacks whatever they are, I forget? I have not seen a pickled egg since I left Minneesota in the mid 50's. They still have them? How quaint!

But, all the people in Minneapolis that I knew were Norwegians or Swedes, maybe a few Fins, some Germans. Anderson has to be more common than Smith, in the phone book. I never went to school with a black person though? Never knew any, no neighbors. First I saw was in the Army. One of my mom's sister's, Aunt Rita knew a black woman; that was notable, of course.

I can't say I know any, even now? There is one black family in the neighborhood, but they have Beemers and Mercedes. And loud parties.

I googled Bosinski once, thinking I was related to every one, and not that many, either. Turned out, there is over 50 in New Jersey alone! (I am ¼ Polish, the only word I know is Warsaw) But, they are all Catholic. Poland is more Catholic than Italy, by quite a bit.

Good hunting. El Bee

[ December 26, 2012, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2012 04:15 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Fred does your dog have any grayhound in its blood line??? Last two pic.s look much better.

Thats reminds me Leonard I need to have the wife pick up some pickled herring and turkey gizzards... [Wink]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2012 04:20 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
For what, bait?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2012 04:36 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
For eating. ummy!

--------------------

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2012 05:11 PM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the advice, Geordie. I do supplement his daily meals with a Tbsp. of this pumpkin additive It's really helped him to digest the ultra high protein, grain free kibble he's on. I'll step up the mid-day treat allocation with something worthwhile. Maybe make him some homemade deer/beef jerky treats???

Tim, Pokey is 88% Kemmer Mt. cur, 6% Plott hound, 6% Redbone hound. No greyhound at all, but that little fucker can get gone in a hurry...

Leonard, shitty parts aside, there is no shortage of quality ethnic fare to be enjoyed around these parts. You name it, there's an authentic place to enjoy regional specialties within a very reasonable distance. From Polish to Pakistani, street vendors to fancy dining...the availability and selection of excellent food here is a real treat...

[ December 26, 2012, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2012 05:18 PM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
And DiYi, I've wondered whether that stinky crap would attract, or repel an animal... LOL
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2012 06:36 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
My point, Fred, was that when people drive 50 miles for genuine Italian food and grocery items, you know you have a problem. But, they do it....'cause they have to, if they want it. This ain't New Yawk, far from it. I understand you can get a pretty fair pizza out your way?

Good hunting. El Bee

PS, I'm trying to run those numbers and I think it might be slicing it pretty thin; 6% Redbone? How do they do that?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Prune Picker
AR Forum Assistant Moderator-handgun GURU and dispenser of sage advice
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2012 07:09 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
The best Italian food i have ever ate was at Giovanni's, on the boardwalk in Yarmouth England.
Best pizza ever, Two Brothers Pizza in Huntington Beach Ca.
Best BBQ, JD's BBQ in Ada Oklahoma & Anchorage Alaska. Also served once in Luanda Angola.
Best French, probably a french roll on a Air France flight over the Atlantic heading west.
Best Steak, My house in Nowhere Oklahoma.

--------------------
mike

Posts: 1265 | From: "Oklahomie" | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2012 07:38 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Best Burrito, the Hollenbeck at La Tapatio in City Terrace, LA.

Second best, Carne Asada Burrito, Legends, Upland

Best Chile CheeseBurger, Origina Tommy's on Rampart, LA

Best Sicilian deep dish pizza, Grazianos, Upland

Best Breakfast only restaurant, (home of the seven egg omelet), Red Hill Cafe, Rancho Cucamonga (closes at noon, sharp!)

Best New York Strip, Ruth's Chris, many locations

Best prime rib, best horseradish, Lawry's LA

Best Double/Double, In N Out Burger many western locations (sorry Okies)

Good hunting. El Bee [Wink]

edit: best after dinner cigar, Partagas #6

[ December 26, 2012, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Prune Picker
AR Forum Assistant Moderator-handgun GURU and dispenser of sage advice
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2012 08:37 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I had a Tommy's something burger, excellent.
We have a few What a Burger's in Okie land and they are a distant second choice to In & Out urges. Fisherman's Warf in the gay bay have some really good seafood but i forget the name of the place.
For all around food choices, Calif probably has the best food. The best Mongolian BBQ is from a place in Costa Mesa, who's name i can't remember.
And there use to be a trashy looking resturant in down town LA on 7th street open 24 hrs, and i cannot remember it's name but it had a heck of a breakfast menu.

--------------------
mike

Posts: 1265 | From: "Oklahomie" | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2012 09:25 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I just remembered.

There is a Japanese diner real close to L.A. City College. Very small, they only have room for 7 stools ? at the counter, otherwise you can order at the takeout window. Or stand behind somebody on a stool, the round ones you see at Drugstore counters. Back when there used to be Drug Stores. And Soda Fountains. Hell, they probably still have them in Flyover Country, for all I know?

What they have is the best Teriyaki Steak with clump rice I have ever eaten. It's quick and inexpensive, in fact, I don't know how they do it? Hope it's still there?

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: when I go to Legends, which is only about four blocks up the street, I get 2 Carne Asada Burritos at the drive up. One for now and one for later, They are 8 bucks a piece, and you can't eat two, at once. I have one in the fridge, right now.
edit: same with the tacos. No shit, you can only eat one! Figure that one out?

[ December 26, 2012, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters