The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Wolf Attacks guy on Snowmachine (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Wolf Attacks guy on Snowmachine
TundraWookie
Knows what it's all about
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2012 07:52 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting article on a guy who was attacked by a wolf while out on his trap line riding his snowmachine.

http://newsminer.com/view/full_story/21 161974/article-Wolf-attacks-trapper-on-snowmachine-near-Tok?instance=home_news_window_left_top_1

[ December 18, 2012, 07:56 AM: Message edited by: TundraWookie ]

Posts: 857 | From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2012 09:35 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
That's wild! (literallY)

I thought the article was going to read the guy took a Glock 10mm pistol out of a shoulder holster and shot the wolf,

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2012 09:51 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
It is amazing that the guy didn't have a pistol. Most trappers tend to have a small pistol for dispatching critters strapped to their snowmachine handles.
Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2012 10:27 AM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you. I shared it with my wolf "loving" friends.
What is your bet rabies or a starving lone wolf?

Posts: 599 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2012 10:29 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
That's what I thought. Anyhoo, the guy is lucky he didn't get knocked off the machine. He would have been a goner.

He did the right thing by jumping on the wolf. He must have knocked the wind out of it.

He was lucky.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2012 11:07 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually think a full grown man would stand a pretty fair chance, wrestling with a wolf. You would have to neutralize the head and choke it but blows would also be effective. All of it would be less effective against a brown bear or lion because of the size and/or the claws, but with an animal like a wolf, desperate times call for desperate measures. In a fair fight to the death, I'd put my money on the man.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2012 11:28 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
I think man vs wolf on decent ground would favor the man. In powdery snow, I think the wolf might have the advantage. This would have to be a big wolf though, not a 80 pounder. Add one more wolf and the guy is a goner.
Patterson
19.6 miles down the Yellow Brick Road from THE EMERALD CITY
Member # 3304

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2012 12:16 PM      Profile for Patterson   Email Patterson         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you guys seen the movie "The Grey" about a plane crash in AK and a pack of wolves eating the survivors. A lot of it is pretty far fetched and not even close to true but its pretty neat movie for a predator guy I guess(compared to other junk out there).

The whole movie I was thinking of what I would do if attacked. I agree one on one a guy that has some sense, mobility, and stamina could fight one off. Add another one though and it would be pretty damn tough. In my opinion you would have to let let it have one of your arms to occupy its mouh though to keep your head/neck safe and still have one arm to gouge eyes or choke/punch.

Posts: 236 | From: Kansas | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2012 01:24 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the most effective approach is to choke it out.

That movie, I suppose everybody has their own opinion but I thought it was phony as hell, I watched it but couldn't take it serious. Seemed to me, written by somebody with a romantic attitude that had probably never actually spent a night in the woods, much less had ever had any experience with wolves or hunting. I compared it to the one where the genetically altered shark was stalking people. Laughable.

Of course, actual realistic wilderness adventure would not sell, gotta have a "WOW FACTOR". That one with Charles Bronson, chasing the Mad Bomber seemed kinda realistic.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2012 03:43 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
"The Edge" was a good one. That was where Anthony Hopkins and Alec Baldwin were stranded in the AK wilderness and were being stalked by a brown bear.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2012 05:35 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a matter of opinion, 49. I didn't think it was very credible at all. What did you think of WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2012 07:05 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard. I think you are talking about "Death Hunt"..
www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcZhmyd7D7A

Always enjoyed that one over the years.

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2012 07:16 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That's a matter of opinion, 49. I didn't think it was very credible at all. What did you think of WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS?

I had to look that one up...lol.

Anyways, I like John Wayne and Natalie Wood in "The Searchers." I also liked "3:10 to Yuma." Then there is the old spaghetti western classic with Clint Eastwood, "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly."

Alaskan Yoter
Member # 169

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2012 10:54 PM      Profile for Alaskan Yoter           Edit/Delete Post 
I read that also Tundra, and wondered the same about the pistol. Most trappers I know have pistol mounted on the machine somewhere incase they run in to bear up late or up to early.

Interesting story none the less.

Posts: 235 | From: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2012 06:16 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
"The Grey" was the worst movie I've seen in recent memory. Easily, the most disappointing! Thought Liam Neeson would have been decent, coming off "Taken". And the trailer looked good. But the plot was so beyond ridiculous that I just couldn't swallow it. If I'da seen that in the theater, I'da walked out...

BTW, feed an attacking dog your weakside arm and stab that fawker with the EDC knife you carry on your strong side. Aim for throat/ribs, whichever angle is easier. Up into the throat, across into the neck/ribs. If something is hellbent on eatin' ya, give it something non vital to chew on while you pigstick it.

You guys do carry a little pocket blade, dontcha???

Back to the wolf deal. If I had to guess about a gun, that trapper mighta had a rimfire rifle tucked away somewhere under the cowling of this sled. At those low temps, keeping a gun handy (exposed) would be a surefire way to freeze that fucker solid, rendering it inoperable. Same for a pistol tucked away. So, I really can't fault the guy for not getting to a rifle/pistol quickly and getting some lead involved...

[ December 19, 2012, 06:21 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2012 08:05 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the trappers I know who run long lines away from the "grid" carry a small rimfire revolver and another larger (usually .44mag) revolver. The rimfire is for dispatching animals in traps and the .44 is for the incidental moose that gets caught in a wolf snare. The rimfires are typically readily accessible and the .44's are in the box on the back of the machine. I keep my rifle on my back on the machine and have not had any problems with it freezing up. Of course, I had to run a gallon of Brake-Kleen on the thing to get rid of any grease, but the thing fires in the cold. What is tough is making sure the guns don't freeze up when truck hunting. Going from at times -40ºF to a warm 80ºF truck tends to want to put the moisture to the steel of the guns. I've found that keeping a good seal of electrical tape on the end of the barrel and putting the rifle to the lowest spot in the truck floor really keeps the moisture problems from arising. Sorry, that was a bit off the topic, but basically my "lessons learned" pointers on keeping a gun shooting in the cold. It's those blasted machine guns that are tough in the cold. Too many nooks and crannies for that spindrift snow to pack into... I hate that...

Apparently the guy that was attacked by the wolf is a phenomenal wolf trapper.

A few years ago I was duck/moose/goose hunting and ran up a small river with the jetboat to an area to help celebrate an old timer's 80th birthday party. I started talking with him and he broke out some of his old trapping photos. Here's one that I took a digital of with a few wolves. As I spoke with him, I was amazed by the miles of trapline and number of wolves he had killed. He's one tough dude for sure.

-

ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2012 08:56 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
I clean a lot of wolf skulls and I don't think most folks appreciate just how big and powerful they are. Their heads generally run bigger with bigger canines than most black bears. Black bear skulls aren't bigger until they hit around 19". Here are a couple comparison photographs to help you guys understand just how big these sucker's are. The smaller skull is from a very large mature male coyote. My point being if a mature wolf is dead set on killing you and you are unarmed I'm pretty sure the wolf will win.

-

-

[ December 19, 2012, 08:57 AM: Message edited by: ursus21 ]

Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2012 09:41 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome skull pictures Troy, thanks for posting those. It is amazing to me that wolves will crack a moose leg bone. That's some serious pressure! No doubt if they got a guys arm deep inside their jaw, they'd cause a potentially fatal wound in a hurry.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2012 10:04 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree with what Ursus just said.

From time to time I have come across prints and wondered, Wow! maybe that's a wolf? Not often, but occasionally you come across a print that appears larger than usual.

That all changed on my two trips to Canada. When you see tracks of a large male wolf, they look unbelievably large, compared to a coyote. Then, there is the scat. Man size turds full of deer hair. Damn, we came close last time and I think about it often, did we do the right thing? Same with the first time, we made the decision to come back in the morning and there were tracks all over where we were standing the night before, locating.

It takes time and a little luck to bag a wolf. The last one we saw was black and by himself. He kinda pulled a sneak when we did an end around and we never saw him again. I'm sure as hell not a wolf expert, but in a hand to hand fight, with heavy winter clothes on, I think it would be hard for a wolf to actually win, maybe 8 out of ten times, it's going to be a draw, but the other 19 of twenty times, the wolf will not want anything to do with a human.

And, Albert has the teeshirt/pelt and skull. Damn, they are impressive! His is a natural coyote color which is what I would prefer, if I had a choice, but ursus is right, the skull is every bit as big as a bear. And, then some.

Good hunting. El Bee

[ December 19, 2012, 10:07 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2012 10:15 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Impressive, indeed! I don't doubt one bit that a wolf could snap a moose bone, if allowed to knaw on it for some time.
But, look again at the damage that the trapper guy sustained. Wolves kill large prey by rippin' & tearin'. Rippin' & tearin', then subsequent blood loss. That guy's arm got torn at, not crushed. Bone crushing bite pressure is used only after the critter is long dead, to extract nutrients from the marrow. A wolf knows better than to use too much pressure on a crippling first bite. That's nature's way of taking care of it's meat gitters...

Point being, dogs in general, and wolves in particular, don't inflict bone crushing bites as their first assault. They just don't kill that way. Look at the guy's arm, that was a tearing bite. I'm sure it didn't feel good, but there just ain't enough pressure from that kinda bite to be breakin' bones...

TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2012 10:32 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
You are correct knockemdown, they tear and hamstring animals to take them out and then do the heavy crunching later on. I was just saying that if they did happen to get a mouthful on an arm and crunch down hard, it'd be a serious puncture that would likely get into life sustaining blood supply lines. By that time though the tearing and bleeding would already be done and they'd have you on the ground for a feast. I'll try to shoot any that get that close and watch my back when riding the machine.

I was curious in the amount of pressure generated by canines was and happened to find this:

http://dogfacts.wordpress.com/2008/02/03/national-geographics-dr-brady-barrs-bite-pressure-tests/

Watch out for those crocs, they got a nasty bite!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2012 10:41 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm not sure he was trying to say that, Fred. I agree with you, but on the other hand, if you shoved you wrist into a gaping mouth, I wonder? Still unlikely?

And, the guys wound appears to be slightly more than a scratch. A wolf, as far as I know attempts to pull the quarry down, by snapping at the hindquarters, or in this case, at an arm. I don't think it was an attempt to snap his arm, it was more likely what they do to immobilize prey, grab where ever they can get a hold, and an arm is a great place to do that.

I think that is great information, revolvers are the order of the day in the frozen north. I can see where it might be difficult to get at a firearm....which is why (personally) I would have a cross draw shoulder holster inside my parka instead of in a box behind me.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2012 12:17 PM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
If you read the article and dissect what the guy said about the wolf.
"he was “putting along” on his Ski-Doo Tundra on Thursday afternoon, coming down a frozen creek, when he saw the wolf out of the corner of his eye."
“I turned in time to stick my arm up,” said Grangaard, who was trapping with his father, Danny, in a remote area off the Taylor Highway known as Ketchumstuk. “A single black wolf grabbed my arm and started jerking on me.”

Typically, if you're running a frozen creek, the banks of the creek would allow a wolf to come at you from a higher elevation. In this instance, the wolf came in from the front/side to make the attack, hence the guy was able to see the wolf. I'm surprised the wolf didn't come in from the rear to make the attack. Chances are the wolf just saw that guys upper body and Marten hat moving along, which really looks like a "prime", easy meal. I would really like to see a photo of the scene where this took place. If the wolf dropped down onto the creek and came in, the thing had a really good look at the snowmachine, which is even more surprising.

TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2012 12:24 PM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Follow up to my last post. I spoke with the author of the article and he helped clear up the details of the creek. It's a really small creek with woods close to the banks. It's not a high, cut bank river, which is surprising. The wolf basically ran out of the treeline and made the attack. The thing saw the machine and driver and simply went for him. It's too bad they didn't get the wolf to test for rabies.
knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2012 12:55 PM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm just glad the fella is OK!
And I know full well how easy it is for me to be "armchair QB-ing" a wild animal attack, LOL!

Heck, if that wolf got him pulled off the sled & to the canvas, it'd prolly be transitioning quickly from the arm, to his head/neck to make a killing bite. That's what them long canines are for, poking holes through windpipes, major blood vessels & neck vertabrae. All dogs kill critters the same way, and it don't take much bite power to incise the neck/throat.
And that's why its so important to keep your feet under ya during a dog attack! Once you hit the ground, you're in deep shit. Especially with a critter the size of a wolf! Again, glad that fella is OK, heckouva tale to share!!!

Tundra, there's a dude on YouTube, named "The WildNorth". He's a native of the NWT and shares some great home vids on trapping & stuff from up there. I really enjoy watching his vids of his subsistence lifestyle, waay back in the Taiga forest!
Anyhoo, that dude carries a .17HMR on his sled when running his trapline, which is how I surmised about keeping it protected under the cowling.
Interesting vids, if ya have the time...

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters