The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Remember, this weekend/CONTRACTORS (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Remember, this weekend/CONTRACTORS
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2011 02:02 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Any contractor horror stories and I know there are many, right JD?

Next weekend; Dan Carey (woo hoo!)

Bring yur lunch. El Bee

[ July 09, 2011, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2011 06:09 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been a contractor for as long as I can remember. Dont be baggin on the brotherhood! rotflmao [Big Grin]
Edit for spelling

[ July 09, 2011, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
JD
HONORARY OKIE .... and Tim's at fault!
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2011 06:27 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, or we'll kick your door down and shoot you 72 times with a brad nailer. Bitch! [Smile]

--------------------
Jason
--------------------------------------

What do Obama & TA17Rem have in common........both are clueless asshats!!!

Posts: 1456 | From: NE. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2011 06:39 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I bet you think you're hot shit, don't ya? You expect discounts on everything and then stiff your subcontractors, right? Your appraisal method is the rule of ten? Whatever it costs you to do the job, you jack it ten times, twenty if you think you can get away with it. There is so much fat built into your bids it's like winning the Lotto if the sucker agrees to pay what you want. Yippee!

But, I know exactly how to deal with CONTRACTORS and the brotherhood. If you're nice, I may tell you how it works.

gh....lb [Smile]

edit: edit for spelling? WTF? You misspelled "contractor"?

[ July 09, 2011, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

JD
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2011 07:49 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
You don't know shit, it's all a bluff and I aint buying, besides you can't even spell contractor let alone the idea of outsmarting one.

--------------------
Jason

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2011 08:13 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah? Let's talk honesty! That's spelled: h o n e s t y.

How do you feel inside, when the public thinks all you do is cheat them? Substandard material, roofs collapse, bribe inspectors?

Can you sleep at night knowing everybody hates you?

gh....lb

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

JD
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2011 08:32 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, because I know that not everybody hates me, I have many repeat and regular customers, I never use substandard anything and I always follow code and many times overkill beyond that so no need to bribe anyone.

In 20 years I can count on 1 finger the number of customers who have expressed to me that they thought I did poor work and that 1 still owes me an apology for being a total bitch and accusing me of being responsible for a leak in a tile shower that indeed turned out to be a plumbing leak, the plumber acknowledged the problem and fixed it promptly, no apology though.

This makes me think that maybe contractors aren't all that bad after all, I think it's a matter of high strung customers who are quick to fly to conclusions and pretend to know stuff that they can't begin to comprehend and have an unbased paranoia that everyone they hire is out to screw them, probably more common on the west coast, I hear they're all crazy out there. [Smile]

--------------------
Jason

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2011 08:54 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, case closed.

Let's move on to Dan Carey.

gh....lb

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2011 08:56 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't eeeeven try and paint your customer as a turd! You know dang well that you caused the leak with the vibration from the hammering in the kitchen. We know about the deal made with plumbers, the game is up!
Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
JD
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2011 09:06 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
Damn, I thought I had gotten away with it. [Smile]

--------------------
Jason

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2011 10:01 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Be careful, Tom. This guy is worser than ......you know who? Just agree with whatever he says, no matter how ridiculous and self serving. We can't afford to lose another one.

gh....lb

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2011 06:28 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, JD, that's what you have to say for yourself, but how about every other contractor in the country? You surely must have something to say in their defense?

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ken
will be missed
Member # 3065

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2011 07:16 AM      Profile for Ken   Email Ken         Edit/Delete Post 
I can clearly see how you contractors are covering for each other, I know about these things.

YOU PEOPLE need a code of ethics, you all have been taking advantage of the uninformed,unknowing,uneducated public for decades.

ALL because you can't get free donuts,coffee, and half off at your favorite eatery!!

You really want to paint the customer as the "turd", but they have tape recorded you at work, they have the evidence to prove your crooks.

Your 15 man framing crew assualting a house no longer scares anyone.

I just went down to Home Depo and bought a new portable high impact nail gun that shoots 600 nails per second.

Bring your ass to my house, I WON'T be in my underwear when you and your crew arrive.

Don't keep trying to sidestep the facts JD!!! [Big Grin]

[ July 10, 2011, 07:30 AM: Message edited by: Ken ]

--------------------
I am 5'10",an asshole 220% for sure. Former dirty deed doer for PM. Corrupt too! My name is Festus.

Posts: 281 | From: High Desert | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
fgf4
unknown comic

Icon 6 posted July 10, 2011 07:27 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Do any of you out there really know what's behind that drywall or tile?

You would be surprised at what gets covered up!!! LOL Did some electrical contracting when I was younger... nails through wiring and pipes and well, if you can't see it you just don't know! [Eek!] [Razz]

I'm sure JD does good work or he wouldn't be able to afford to run with this crowd! [Big Grin]

[ July 10, 2011, 07:27 AM: Message edited by: Nikonut ]

IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2011 09:21 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
In the banking business, we know usually who has a good reputation and who doesn't.

When my wife and I moved to our present home in '02, we undertook a pretty major renovation project.

I hired one of our bank customers not on a contract basis, but time and materials basis thinking I was going to save some money.

At any rate, we shut the guy off about 80% through the project due to the fact we were about 50% over budget. His crew did great work, just slow and dragged things out.

He also used his brother in laws, (HVAC and plumbing), for the subs. I ended up having over $600.00 in knives from my collection being taken by someone in the B-I-L's crew(s).

Not a great experience for us.

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2011 10:19 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I was over @ the contractor.com forums, and posted my frustrations, over my home build.

Drywallers, refusing to work in temps, 15-25 degrees below freezing. ect..The builder dragging his feet on adding the brick fascia to the front of my house for months ect. Even though he was paid.

Man, those cats pile-drived me.. [Mad]

I've never seen a group stick together like that ? Hmmmmmm

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2011 10:40 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
If you think that's something, try over at coptalk!

edit: if you can get them to do it, write a performance clause with penalties and completion dates.

[ July 10, 2011, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

CCP
Knows what it's all about
Member # 913

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2011 10:50 AM      Profile for CCP   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Home contractors are the worst of the worst. I have been a Plumber for 27 years and I have held an Electrical and mechanical contractor’s licenses also in the past. Why are Home contractors the worst? Well they rarely pay their subs and when they do it is partial and late. They have no problem screaming to get you out there but when it’s job done they can’t be found to collect.

I think they should have to prove to the building dept they have the funds to pay subcontractors BEFORE they start a project. This would also help the home owner in getting faster quality service and speed up the whole building process. When I was in business and now being a project manager for another company I never sent the best crew or was in a hurry to get them to a job I knew I was going to have to wait till the broke ass contractor got his money.

I do all commercial work now ranging from dept stores to schools. Unfortunately with the construction slump most of the country is in some house plumbers and house contractors are getting into commercial and we are running into some of the same problems on our smaller commercial jobs.

Believe me I could go on but on another note there are a few good ones out there that I look forward to doing their work and never have a problem. The problem is they are only 1 out of a 100.

Posts: 117 | From: SouthEastern united states | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2011 11:24 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
We bought some linoleum from a major store, in town. I didn't think twice about it until I got home from work that night and found out that the installers did a great job but left a bare border in the bath, kitchen and dining area. Just like they always did with new construction where somebody came behind them and installed wallboards and baseboards.

I was fit to be tied that they used out of work new construction installers without an ounce of common sense. However, I let them off the hook by allowing them to cover their mess with different baseboards. I also questioned how my wife didn't figure it out, but she was an angel so I was gentle with her.

gh....lb

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2011 11:35 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
The guy across the street bought an outrageously expensive front door and lockset from Home Depot.

They pounded out stucco and installed their Oak and left this man with exposed demolition and he couldn't lock the front door for about six months. Patience bordering on stupidity, and finally fed up, he had a lawyer contact Home Depot, and they hired a decent finish carpenter and actually summoned a factory locksmith from San Francisco to fix the fancy hardware.

But, in the ensuing six months, Home Depot sent out numerous craftsmen and managers who looked at the job and left without doing anything. It was comical and if it were me, I would have been a basket case or in jail long before the situation was resolved.

gh....lb

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

JD
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2011 11:39 AM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
CCP, Unfortunately your post has a lot of truth in it, I've been approached several times by larger residential contractors and developers asking me to work as a sub for them.....no thanks amigo, getting paid 90 days late is not what I consider a good deal, within 30 days is fine, immediately upon completion is better.

Most home contracts are based an a draw system, typically 3 draws throughout the build at different stages which is fine unless there are delays such as weather, then you have subs pissed off because the money isn't on time.

I solve that problem with a 30 day draw and thats the only choice I give a customer or bank, it's written in the contract and at the end of the month I sit down with all the paper work and bills and show the customer and or banker exactly where we are and who gets paid for what and NOBODY including myself gets paid in advance for anything.

No way in hell will I stick up for all contractors.....a fair amount of them aren't carpenters nor do they have any construction experience but they are damn good at being criminals........BUT....there are many, who like me, prefer to be able to go through life without looking over their shoulders to see who is going to try and run them down next.

You know what really pisses me off are these fuckers that prey on old people and take their life savings after scaring them to death with lies about all the problems with their homes. A couple of these jack bags showed up at my grandpas house fillin him full of BS and he threatened to pay them with a load of rock salt from a 12 ga. if they didn't get off his property.

--------------------
Jason

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2011 12:26 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I know a woman who asked me for some advice. She has a contract with some company that comes out and inspects once a month for anything wrong with her house.

Well, apparently there have been a whole series of scare tactics used, the latest was when they opened her service panel and told her it was so dangerous that she shouldn't spend another night in the house until it was fixed.

Well, I know a thing or two about electrical stuff and took a look at her concern. Yes, the house was almost forty years old, but in all honesty, I could not find a single problem, age or improper or any code violations, whatsoever! I told her to terminate the inspection contract ASAP.

Half convinced, she still asked her son to look at it, who actually is a working electrician. Of course, there are electricians and there are electricians. He knew nothing about motor control or PLC's or anything besides 277V commercial lighting and didn't know a hickey from a Waldorf salad, but he found nothing wrong either. Why I bothered, I don't know?

gh....lb

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2011 06:19 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Remember, next weekend it's BUNNY HUGGERS AND GRIZZLY LOVERS!

gh....lb

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

tlbradford
Rimfires are MAGIC on COYOTES! If you do your part
Member # 1232

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2011 09:04 PM      Profile for tlbradford   Email tlbradford         Edit/Delete Post 
No defending the brotherhood with us cutthroat contractor's. We badmouth all of our competition and start rumors all the time. I will say this. It is easier to do a job right the first time, take care of any problems immediately, and don't nickle and dime them to death.

Although I don't shop at Home Depot, I will tell you that they have donated about $10,000 in materials to a small town Veterans Memorial in Tonasket, WA. and have pledged another $20,000. I was surprised to hear that from my father-in-law this weekend.

-Bradford Construction Inc.

--------------------
"Dan Carey ain't that special" - LB

Posts: 423 | From: Spokane Valley, WA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2011 09:06 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Bunny huggers, grizzly lovers and people that ask, "Did ya catch anything?" When you tell them you were hunting.
IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters