The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted July 02, 2011 03:46 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen that one before, It was just on AMC. Wow pretty good show, had the Duke and Jimmy Stewart in it.

I have Red River on VHS, might have to fire it up next..

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 02, 2011 04:05 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have watched THE SEARCHERS maybe 25/50 times? Red River was good, not AS good.

gh....lb

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted July 02, 2011 04:07 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
The searchers ?

(Edit) just googled. 1956 film. Don't think I've seen it. Will have too check out.

I thought you were talking about the band.. [Wink]

[ July 02, 2011, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 02, 2011 05:00 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
My god, we have a whippersnapper among us!

gh....lb

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted July 02, 2011 05:26 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Be sure to update your Facebook, MySpace and Twitter with this info, Dave!
"SILENCE! Whippasnappa!" My favorite part of Wizard of Oz. I love that movie, don't care what anyone thinks [Smile]

Edit: Then a bit after Oz says that... The Cowardly Lion runs the entire corridor and leaps through the air and crashes through a window. (My kid's favorite part)

[ July 02, 2011, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: smithers ]

IP: Logged
MI VHNTR
I'm not shaving 'til Obama's gone!
Member # 3370

Icon 1 posted July 02, 2011 07:40 PM      Profile for MI VHNTR   Email MI VHNTR         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got just about every John Wayne movie made on DVD, including The Searchers, Liberty Valence, True Grit, etc. They sure are so much better than the trash that passes for movies today.

--------------------
The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon

Posts: 394 | From: MI | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted July 02, 2011 08:11 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a trunk full of John Wayne VHS. Sure wish they were on DVD. Never saw a JW movie I didn't like. Always had a life lesson in every one.
A couple of my favorites are McClintock and Wake of the Red Witch.

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted July 02, 2011 09:17 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife is a HUGE Wayne fan, shes 38 years old, none of her same age friends like him, some dont even know who he was, sad. We watch the western channel all the time, something very comforting in those old westerns for me.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted July 03, 2011 08:05 AM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
Somewhere I have a list of movies.

John Wayne died in 8 films for definite, and a further two, depending on how you want to look at it.

"Central Airport"
"Reap the Wild Wind"
"The Fighting Seabees"
"Wake of the Red Witch"
"The Sands of Iwo Jima"
"The Alamo"
"The Cowboys"
"The Shootist"

He was already dead at the start of "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance", and most of the film is a flashback to when he was alive. It is just stated that he died, but there is no actual death scene.

In "The Sea Chase" it is left to the audience to decide whether or not he died. The romantic among us like to think that he and Lana Turner were able to escape from the sinking ship at the end of the film, but it is not made clear.

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
tlbradford
Rimfires are MAGIC on COYOTES! If you do your part
Member # 1232

Icon 1 posted July 03, 2011 11:08 AM      Profile for tlbradford   Email tlbradford         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my personal favorites is The Quiet Man.

--------------------
"Dan Carey ain't that special" - LB

Posts: 423 | From: Spokane Valley, WA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted July 03, 2011 01:40 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
I liked True grit and Rooster Cogburn movies. Didn't care too much for McQ or whatever that was was where he was a modern day detective.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted July 03, 2011 02:18 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Another good guy flick, is Death Hunt, with Charles Bronson and Lee Marvin..
Cayotaytalker
DOES NOT TEACH/SUSPECTED OKIE
Member # 1954

Icon 1 posted July 04, 2011 06:27 AM      Profile for Cayotaytalker   Email Cayotaytalker         Edit/Delete Post 
Here are a few of the flicks I enjoyed.

1961 The Misfits
1964 The Rounders
1975 Cogburn
1992 Unforgiven
1948 The treasure of The Sierra Madre
1971 On Any Sunday (Dirt bikes)
1963 Hud
1971 Vanishing Point
1972 J.W. Coop
1972 Junior Bonner

There or tons of others that I just can not think of the names.

As for the movie The Misfits, The Rounders, J.W. Coop, Junior Bonner and even the movie Hud.
Is I like them because they are about Vanishing America. Or the vanishing way of the cowboy.

Edit for spelling

[ July 04, 2011, 06:30 AM: Message edited by: Cayotaytalker ]

--------------------
Now thats prime coyote country!

Posts: 403 | From: LasVegas Nevada | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Possumal
HONORARY CALLS FORUM MODERATOR edit: AND TOKEN LIBERAL
Member # 823

Icon 1 posted July 04, 2011 06:59 AM      Profile for Possumal   Author's Homepage   Email Possumal         Edit/Delete Post 
Just got through watching "The Professionals", with Burt Lancaster, Lee Marvin, Jack Palance, Robert Ryan, Claudia Cardinale", a real classic Western.

Uncle Jay: They have software out that you can convert from VHS to DVD, or there are a lot of places that will convert them for you. Roxio offers Easy VHS to DVD or here is a link to a place that will convert them for you:

http://www.vhs-to-dvd.com/

--------------------
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Posts: 781 | From: Nicholasville, Ky. | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted July 04, 2011 08:18 AM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
I like ole Burt in Valdez is coming.

Damn I am feeling old when you say the 38 year olds don't even know who the Duke is!!!

I can still remember the tiny theater by my grandparents house. It's gone now, but I got to watch, True Grit, and gobs of movies that were new in the late 60's and 70's.

At work, we joke about the scene in Mel Brookes movie Blazing Saddles.

Randolf Scott !

another legendary cowboy actor.

[ July 04, 2011, 08:19 AM: Message edited by: DanS ]

--------------------

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted July 04, 2011 08:31 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
I have always liked John Wayne also. I didn't care much for Burt Lancaster until I saw him in the movie "LAWMAN". I now own a DVD of that movie.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 04, 2011 09:02 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I HEARD THAT RANDOLPH SCOTT WAS GAY? 0ops! (excuse caps)

Burt was in a bunch of memorable films right up to "Atlantic City". Anybody ever see "The Swimmer"? He always did his own stunts, was a circus performer, I think? The movie "Trapeze" should convince anybody what a talented performer he was.

Obscure movie I recommend is "The Naked Prey", with Cornel Wilde.

"Giant" is a great film, well worth your time. Is Platoon better than Apocalypse Now?

gh....lb

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted July 04, 2011 09:51 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Lancaster was a trained circus performer or something like that? Very athletic.

I liked Lee Marvin, he was a sniper in WW2 I beleive.

I just watched a short diddy by Harry Carey Jr., talking about the Duke. He said he was as honest and standup in real life as he was in his movies.

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted July 04, 2011 09:52 AM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is Platoon better than Apocalypse Now
One has Martin and the other has Charlie Sheen

--------------------

Possumal
Member # 823

Icon 1 posted July 04, 2011 10:03 AM      Profile for Possumal   Author's Homepage   Email Possumal         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe Burt Lancaster was one of our all time best actors. He played in a great variety of parts, showing his skill as an actor. He was great in Vera Cruz, Elmer Gantry, Birdman of Alcatraz, and the part he played in the Professionals was priceless. He was also great in "The Kentuckian".

There was a great movie in black & white starring Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas that took part back in the Revolutionary War times. Can't remember the name of it, but Burt was a school teacher and Kirk was kind of a rogue, but between the two of them, they caused a lot of problems for the enemy. Anybody remember the name of that one?

[ July 04, 2011, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: Possumal ]

--------------------
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted July 04, 2011 10:06 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
One of the movies I enjoyed was "The last of the dog soldiers" or something like that. Worth a look if you've never seen it, most have never even heard of it.

The Cowboys is my favorite John Wayne movie.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Possumal
Member # 823

Icon 1 posted July 04, 2011 10:08 AM      Profile for Possumal   Author's Homepage   Email Possumal         Edit/Delete Post 
"The Devil's Disciple" was the movie from 1957 with Kirk Douglas that I couldn't remember the name of before. Also, I don't know how I forgot his great role in "From here to eternity".

--------------------
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Cayotaytalker
DOES NOT TEACH/SUSPECTED OKIE
Member # 1954

Icon 1 posted July 04, 2011 10:14 AM      Profile for Cayotaytalker   Email Cayotaytalker         Edit/Delete Post 
Apocalypse now is better so is the Deer Hunter.
Platoon is good but may be a bit over the top and I do not mean the drug use.But how the movie tends to make it out as if only the poor white trash or the poor blacks were the only ones that were in the Vietnam war is not the whole truth.

And for the record I never did serve ever.
So I do not know what it was like to serve in Vietnam.

So I guess Platoon was OK.
I have heard that Oliver Stone did four tours in Vietnam.
But all I found on Stone was That he was in Vietam in 1967 and walked the the jungles of vietnam for fifteen months.

That info was wrote by Subhraijit Mukherjee.
So I don't know if it's good info or not.

But those are the ones I like.
I would like to say thanks to every one that answered the call and went to serve in that war.

--------------------
Now thats prime coyote country!

Posts: 403 | From: LasVegas Nevada | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted July 04, 2011 11:00 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
War films... Apocalypse Now is my favorite movie of all time. Platoon, IMO, is a so-so film.
Full Metal Jacket was great as well. So memorable.

IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 04, 2011 11:20 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason, (and I have a certain perspective) Full Metal Jacket did not trip my authenticity meter. From that point of view, Platoon was much more "authentic" than Apocalypse, from the standpoint of anybody who served in the U.S. Army. That doesn't mean that I think it was "better".

From Here to Eternity, wow, what a film!

gh....lb

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters