The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Coyote season (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Coyote season
Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted May 31, 2011 08:28 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich,
You are the one that brought the topic up again. Along the way you attempted to document a history that was incomplete and not quite historical. I didn't think it was all that dificult to cypher.

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted May 31, 2011 08:51 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm hoping that Tim is right about the way this works
Rich not sure on how anything works.. The thing is why go dig up a dead horse and beat it some more, its not going to solve anything or change the way some people feel or think..

Why not just burry the hachet and move on...
Tell you what, you have Gary C. send me a E-mail makeing a peace offering and I'll do the same and you do likewise with Leonard, Cronk and anyone else that comes to mind.. [Cool]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted May 31, 2011 09:06 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Mr Nistetter, regarding the coyote behavior dvd.

Who pulled the trigger on the coyote pup, you or Mock ?

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jay Nistetter
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted May 31, 2011 09:15 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
Which pup? There were two.

--------------------

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted May 31, 2011 09:26 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
I guess, that I missed the second one ? that may have been about the time I pushed the stop button.

So who did it, or to them ?

[ May 31, 2011, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Jay Nistetter
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted May 31, 2011 09:34 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
Dave. Obviously you didn't like what you saw. Would it change your opinion of me if I told you that I shot the young coyote? It was late August when that film was shot.

--------------------

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted May 31, 2011 09:44 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't matter, I asked a very simple question. And would appreciate a simple response.
Jay Nistetter
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted May 31, 2011 09:49 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
Alright. Mock was the triggerman. Just curious where you are headed with this. Is that a fair question?

--------------------

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted May 31, 2011 09:59 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not headed anywhere with this, I just wanted to know. BTW shooting pups is bullshit, I don't care what time of year it is.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 31, 2011 10:32 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
There's an enlightened opinion. I have shot a number of young coyotes. A simple question, why is that bullshit? Are we supposed to check I.D.?

gh/lb

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31463 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted May 31, 2011 10:52 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm referring to a coyote that would appear to be a few months old..And yeah I call that bullshit.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 31, 2011 11:10 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my position on the slippery slope, since there are some people that question killing anything you don't intend to eat.

As long as the coyote is a non-protected animal, there are no rules governing which gender should be killed and when and if so, who is entitled to kill such animal, for what reason.

To pass judgement on somebody, like Jeff Mock, a person I have no intention of supporting, is opening the door to a lot of conditions, non of which are enforceable, nor are they logical.

Is opposition because of an ethical position? Many of us, including me, voluntarily respect the denning season, which for me is usually sometime in February, until about August. At that time, any coyote any sex, any age is fair game.

If someone has a problem with the conduct of another hunter, I think the standard fall back position, is it legal, should prevail.

If not, I can see a point in time where a game warden might inspect a kill and maybe weigh a coyote and issue a citation for violating the minimum age.

There are regulators that are ready and willing to have you check in your coyotes and affix a tag. We have a certain amount of freedom with respect to bag limits and such. If those of us complain about what others do, the hammer could come down on what the complainer does, just as easily.

I do not like the specter of regulation for anything coyote. If the agreement with the Devil is allowing some regulated night hunting while, at the same time imposing a mandatory season on coyotes, that would be foolish and stupid, in my opinion.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 31, 2011 11:16 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm referring to a coyote that would appear to be a few months old..And yeah I call that bullshit.
I didn't have a dog in this fight until I see someone acting judgmental. That's what I call BULLSHIT.

If you want to start a quarrel over such a petty issue, take it somewhere else, Amigo.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted May 31, 2011 11:23 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Not a problem. It is your board run as you so desire.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 31, 2011 11:27 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
YES, IT IS AND I INTEND TO DO JUST THAT. YOUR OPINION IS DULY NOTED. NOW DROP IT.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted June 01, 2011 01:37 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
The way I read RH's posts, they are a way to get some to bury THEIR hatchets.

Just my Dr. Phil analysis of the written word. Events may differ slightly from the other reader's POV.

Whether it's the coyote reg posts or the Leonard posts. They are written, I think, as part of a process. A process that leads to healing... healing... HEALING old wounds! People, open your hearts and let the sun shine IN! [Smile]

Ah, whatever, be stubborn...

IP: Logged
fgf4
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted June 01, 2011 02:39 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't really have a dog in this fight either but I think we are walking the same line just on other sides of it. I don't shoot baby rabbits, birds,kitties or even coyotes even if it is legal... if that makes me judgemental than I'll call bullshit also.

Leonard, it's ok to run this however you want and I would never expect less from you. I'm just trying to point out that you are being just as judgemental.

All of us should have more concern for how we look to non hunters than to bring possible attacks upon any of us by our actions.

If it's legal, it's legal... doesn't always make it right. I will respect your wishes now as well, I've said my piece. and am at peace.

Nikonut

Jay Nistetter
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted June 01, 2011 04:03 AM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
WOW! So when does a coyote become fair game?
What would be the telling characteristics?
Weight? Height? 4 months? 5 months?
I have seen pup-size coyotes in mid-November.
When is it OK to take down a coyote?
Does location have any bearing?
How about the shooters age or gender?
It’s not like anyone is out there trophy hunting.
Is it bullshit because I use a 450?

I’m not calling bullshit on my partner because he makes a shot on a small coyote and I wouldn’t call bullshit if he chose to not shoot either. I wouldn’t call bullshit on my partner for shooting a spike bull elk, first year dove, 60 pound lion or doe deer either.

I’ll tell you what bullshit is. Why is it OK for every swinging D recreational hunter to violate his self-imposed season to shoot coyotes and become Mister ADC Man when a rancher or farmer tells them to shoot coyotes? I shake my head every time I hear the justification… “I was doing ADC work. Otherwise I wouldn’t have gone out there to shoot coyotes.” Or how about… “Normally I don’t shoot coyotes during the summer but the rancher called and ….” We’ve all heard the fallback excuses for taking coyotes during those “offensive to others” times. These types aren’t doing ADC work. I have no friggin idea what it takes to do ADC work nor do these people. All they are doing is jumping at the chance to go shoot coyotes during times they normally don’t.

The other thing I have issues with are those that claim that they lay off the coyotes during the summer so that there’s more targets for them during the fall. That’s not an example of respect OR ethics. That’s self-serving. Why is a September coyote fair game and an August 31st coyote not? The chest-pumping proclamation by those that don’t start shooting coyotes until October baffles me. To them, that extra month must mean that the young coyotes have achieved all of their life experiences.

FWIW - Do I typically hunt during the summer? I would guess I shoot 2 or 3 coyotes during that time of the year. It basically boils down to opportunity aligned with energy and desire. I would much rather go bowfishing or cat fishing.

--------------------

TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted June 01, 2011 05:51 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
“Normally I don’t shoot coyotes during the summer but the rancher called and ….”

So Jay, what would you do if the guy who lets you hunt on his property comes by and says I want em gone?

I don't have any fantasies of doing ADC work, I know I'm a recreational caller. I quit around the end of Febuary for my own reasons. But like I asked what do you do when 2 landowners come in and one has a predation problem, which I told him wasn't after talking to an ADC man here, the other liked the way I kept em thinned out when I was hunting.

Self serving? Hell yes, the latter guy has another 5000 acre ranch I'm hoping to get on.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jay Nistetter
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted June 01, 2011 06:18 AM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, if I'm asked, I'd try. He's the boss. I make sure that the owner or bossman knows that I am not an expert or ADC man but would shoot all the coyotes I could if that's what he wanted.
No guarantees. No promises. I usually throw in the comment that I am generally a 70+% shooter on coyotes I call in. I tell the guy the truth and they know if you're shining them on or not.

I would also explain that my distance from his property and opportunity to hunt it may not be timely or enough to be effective other than possibly one, two or three coyotes I could shoot if conditions are good. Trust me... One or two coyotes in the truck are golden no matter how good you are.

The most important part is to not promise more than you can deliver. If after listening to the owner it may be such that he really needs a pro or trapper to come in. Tell him so. Give a name if you can and follow up saying that once the problem is cleared up that you would still be interested in the possibility of hunting his place.

I mean you don't want to take a poorly running truck to the shop and pay someone NOT to fix it. You would much more respect a mechanic who tells you that he thinks it's over his head and you should probably take the truck to s0-and-so place.

And YES. It is self serving but Not measured in days or a few weeks. Your goal as is mine is to possibly keep hunting the property and even let the relationship grow to include other hunting opportunities.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted June 01, 2011 06:52 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So Jay, what would you do if the guy who lets you hunt on his property comes by and says I want em gone?

Not Jay but I'LL give you my take on the subject.

First off you could ask the rancher if you could come in and remove them at a later date and when doing so spend a little more time on the ranch and produce a few good numbers for the rancher to see. You could also exsplain to him the coyotes willbe a little easier to call later in the fall rather than on the hot days of summer..
You could also tell the rancher you are putting up the fur to help pay for youre exspenses and the best time is when the fur primes up in the fall..
I call on over 30 different ranches and never had a problem getting back on them due to the time of year that I call them, I have to share these ranches with anyone else that asks and I have never lost any permission due to the time frame I'm there. But when I do call these ranches I put up some good numbers and that seems to keep them happy... On another note I would say over half of the ranches I hunt could care less as long as the coyotes have'nt been causeing any problems...
I do have one ranch where the rancher likes to have alot of mule deer around for hunting himself and for friends and he asks me to spend a little more time on his ranch when possable, and he lets me do it with-in my time frame which is late fall and mid to late winter.. The main thing here once again is to take out some high numbers if they are there to begin with... When I'm out to Pierre in July or sept. I will call his ranch and take a few adults off from it, at this time the pups are old enough to care for themselves and also makes for some easey calling come winter when I get back out there...
There are ways around it you just have to come up with one that the rancher will agree on...

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted June 01, 2011 07:30 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
TA, if the problem is immediate, most ranchers would expect an immediate response, or find someone else that could accommodate them.
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted June 01, 2011 07:37 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
"Like I said, is this really what you want to spend your time focusing on? Your choice, but speaking for myself, it's getting old. I've got enough drama in my real life to deal with right here."
-----------------------------
Cdog,
Have you been blinded by your devotion to Higgins or what? Look who started the thread, look who dug up all of the shit. Place the blame on the delusional idiot that started it. I come here to get away from trouble making idiots like him. Why Leonard still alllows this nut to post on his board is beyond me.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bofire
READ MY LIPS!
Member # 221

Icon 1 posted June 01, 2011 08:10 AM      Profile for Bofire   Author's Homepage   Email Bofire         Edit/Delete Post 
Well my opinion: I'd shoot a "pup" do not care what any of ya think. If they are too small to kill a fawn now, they won't be for long.
I'd consider it a privilege and great learning experience to hunt with Rich, Rich, Jay or Leonard.
I like this board for it being open. If ya'll do not like a thread, DO NOT READ IT. That is how I treat TA17's posts, it is really easy.
Carl

Posts: 322 | From: Wild West | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Oracle
PAKMAN
Member # 3839

Icon 1 posted June 01, 2011 08:14 AM      Profile for Oracle           Edit/Delete Post 
jay nistetter, i find it extremely disappointing that you run with that jeff mock character, i used to think better of you. mock and his backroom pee pee touchers are a HUGE reason there is bickering and dissention among the ranks of predator hunters nationwide.

what is the term, divide and conquer? mock and his masturbators are sitting back in their little cubicles getting the jollies on watching the likes of higgins, cronk, lance and others go at it here.

I would recommend that you go see mock about a kantrina flooded out '04 lexus, though LOL

obviously no real hunter would have the time or make the time to be a moderator or director on the internet,so that excludes the mock fest phonies, lets move on to the genuine article.

just because something is legal dont make it right. if you are passionate about predator hunting you certainly would be against killing pregnant-milking bitches or small pups. if you're that ignorant to not realize that doing so pretty much puts you out of a job come fur season, theres no help for you.

cronk, youre being an ass, no different then your behaviour on the predatormasters call makers boards. righteous indignation or just plain calloused hatred, not sure about you yet but will figure it out

Posts: 6 | From: Tulsa | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters