The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » GREASEWOOD?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GREASEWOOD?
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2011 02:21 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
We had an interesting conversation a couple days ago, up in Nevada.

Scott was looking at the vegetation, noting all the sage and another bush that was growing primarily next to the roads, white, not leafed out, maybe 2 foot tall and he said they called it "greasewood" where he came from. After he got a closer look, he changed his mind, but neither of us knew what it was called?

So, we radioed DAA, who was close by, and asked him to describe greasewood. About all I remember of that conversation was that he said, "stickers".

Well, I have a pretty fair idea of what greasewood, (or also called creosote), looks like. I have a pic here that gives an idea. It generally grows in "forests" where it somehow prevents other plants from growing in the vicinity, like maybe it poisons the ground, but that's just a guess?

Then, last year, I was talking to Randy Shaw and he called greasewood, "midland bush" because the first time he ever encountered it was around Midland, TX. I told him at the time that it was all over the southern deserts, very common bush and some of them can easily be 100 years old.

Here's the pic: (oops, I have to upload it first, don't I?) BRB

edit:

-

anybody want to share what you call this stuff, locally?

Good hunting. LB

edit: it definitely does not have stickers or any kind of spines or thorns

[ March 24, 2011, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2011 02:53 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
That particular plant your squatting by is Creosote, called other names, by fellas in other locales, but correctly is named creosote. Ive heard it called greasewood around here too, but actuall greasewood is a smaller plant, looking nothing like creosote.
As an aside, creosote grows in "colonies" like you suggested, some of them huge,and if I recall correctly, some of the oldest living things on the planet along with a certain species of bristlecone pine are creosote, one being pegged at something like 11,000 years old.....it's tough stuff!

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2011 03:02 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
We have a ton of it up the the Sierras here where Im at. Creosote is what I was always told it was. Has a particular smell too. It grows in large patches, around rocky country. Its always good for calling grey fox from and around for whatever reason.
Mark

[ March 24, 2011, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: Lone Howl ]

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2011 03:58 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I don't want to mislead anybody. I call it creosote myself, but, in the context of the conversation, the word "greasewood" was used and I have long heard those two words used to describe the same plant. But, yeah, it is creosote, to me, and always has been.

I guess the question is: what is variously called greasewood in different parts of the country? I had to drive a hundred miles south from where we were before I started seeing any creosote, then I stopped and took a pic with my cell phone and sent it to Scott. He has not replied, yet.

But, he has something up north that he calls greasewood, so I was just curious as to where that name occurs and what it looks like? One thing I am fairly sure of, creosote does not grow too far north, at least in Nevada. Sage is pretty much the dominate shrub over most of Nevada.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

furhvstr
Knows what it's all about
Member # 1389

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2011 04:32 PM      Profile for furhvstr   Email furhvstr         Edit/Delete Post 
Up until this past season when I took a guy out calling that used to work in land management field I thought that the two (greaswood and creosote)were one in the same. He pointed out some Greasewoods and named just about every other plant that we walked by (up around Mono lake)
The creosote is the plant that when viewed from above can look like a large ring of plants that started out in the center as one plant and the roots spread and sprout up over and over. The fact that they all originated from the same seed is why some believe that the creosote may be the oldest living organism.
Leonard- The "King Clone" (nearly 12k years old)is not too far from you and me east of Lucerne valley
I know two things about them for certain: they can sure pucture the sidewall of you truck tires and they don't work for crap for covering your cage traps.
ML

[ March 24, 2011, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: furhvstr ]

Posts: 144 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2011 05:36 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Tell us about the coat you are wearing Leonard.

Is that the standard M65, color tan?

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2011 06:21 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, desert style, with liner. Very warm. It's also (like) two sizes too big for me so that I can wear a bunch of stuff under it. I like it, a lot.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2011 06:41 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I finally got around to googling greasewood.

http://www.google.com/search?q=greasewood&hl=en&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=_fyLTfPTCI20sAPIwaSUCQ&sqi=2&ved=0CEgQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=1010

you have to get down to page 6 and 7 before they start talking about creosote, but the other pics seem to cover just about every bush in the desert. In other words, "greasewood" appears to be a generic word for a lot of different shrubs.

In any case, I will not use the two words interchangeably, but out here, there are many people that call creosote; greasewood.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2011 08:05 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
There you go leonard! fight the good fight, call it what it is, creosote. To many terms get used for shit that just isn't named, what its called, such as clips for magazines,horns for antlers, and a list of others.
Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2011 05:03 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Its actually laureaa tridentata But I have always called it creosote that is the common name.
When I used to race motorcycles in the deserts we all called em pucker bushes for obviuos reason.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2011 07:44 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I was going to say that. We always called it; laureaa tridentata but some of these blockhead coyote hunters insist on calling it creosote, so I just go along with it. Thanks for reminding us, Paul. [Roll Eyes]

edit: if it's so damned obvious, why can't I figure out why crazy bike riders call it pucker bush?

Good hunting. LB

[ March 25, 2011, 07:46 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2011 06:24 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
At 60 mph the pucker factor is increased in direct relation to the density of the creosote!

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2011 08:10 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
So you are one of those that tear up the desert, (@60mph, no less!) for which we innocent hunters receive the blame, just for parking off to the side of a two track? I knew it!

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters