The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Old school help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Old school help
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted February 27, 2011 07:31 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjCj-MMtccM

My grandpappy used to have a team of Belgians, long before I was born. Seen pictures of them. Beautiful critters, especially up close.

[ February 27, 2011, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted February 27, 2011 07:50 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy crap! Thats honest to goodness horse power right there:eek:

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted February 27, 2011 08:15 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
That video brings back some old memories. My Dad was dragged for about a mile by a team of Belgium's. He got his leg tangled in loop of a cable that he had hooked to a dead tree he was gonna bring home for fire wood. I saw the team come running over the hill dragging this tree, and my Dad was bouncing up and down like a rag doll. The team slowed when they neared the corral, but gate was closed, so they made a right turn and started north. I ran up and threw my arms over the check reins, and they stopped. Ya know, I have an old photo downstairs of me riding one of those horses. Maybe I will scan that photo and try to post it on this board. Something to keep me busy tomorrow.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 28, 2011 12:40 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
A few years back, I was up on the Kaibab, hunting deer & ran into a guy who was skidding logs down onto the road with a pair of draft horses. It was really something to watch. Two big horses, a guy on foot handling reins, & a huge log, all going downhill under control.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
fgf4
unknown comic

Icon 14 posted February 28, 2011 01:17 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome!

As a kid I baled hay with the Farrell brothers... their dad, Barry ran the Clydesdale barn at Grant's Farm in St. Louis so I got to be around some of the biggest and the most gentle giants of the horse world.

It's great to watch a "hitch" working!

IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted February 28, 2011 06:53 AM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
My uncle worked at Grants Farm too. August Bush lived there in his mansion. Some of the kids also. Neat place. the employees had to sign a privacy waiver so they didn't disclose what they saw happening there with the Bush's and their friends and all.

My uncle didn't drink, so he gave me all the free beer allotments, that was pretty cool too.

[ February 28, 2011, 06:55 AM: Message edited by: DanS ]

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted February 28, 2011 07:03 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, here I am on the back of one of those work horses that drug my Dad. Photo was taken in 1947, which was about three years before my Dad was dragged.
 -

--------------------

Possumal
HONORARY CALLS FORUM MODERATOR edit: AND TOKEN LIBERAL
Member # 823

Icon 1 posted February 28, 2011 07:23 PM      Profile for Possumal   Author's Homepage   Email Possumal         Edit/Delete Post 
Great picture and story, Rich. Thanks for sharing.

--------------------
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Posts: 781 | From: Nicholasville, Ky. | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted February 28, 2011 07:31 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Great pic, Rich. So how badly was your dad hurt? Sounds like you had a good head on your shoulders at that age to know to get them stopped.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Baldknobber
Knows what it's all about
Member # 514

Icon 1 posted February 28, 2011 08:04 PM      Profile for Baldknobber   Email Baldknobber         Edit/Delete Post 
You're a relic Rich!!LOL I have a pic of my dad on one of a team in NM when he was a kid and my Grandad farmed cotton and alfalfa.

--------------------
JTBMO

Posts: 202 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted February 28, 2011 09:43 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess that I mostly wanted you guys to see that I was just as handsome back then as I am today. [Big Grin]

See Dog,
All I knew for sure was that I had to get those horses stopped. The reins form an X shape where they cross between the necks of the horses, and makes a natural place to throw your arms over and just hang there. There was no time to get scared, it happened too fast.

Dad remembered that he lost consciousness a few times during the dragging incident. I remember that his clothing was pretty much torn up. and there was some blood, but no broken bones. One of those tall engineer boots had a long hole worn through it from the cable. First words he said after he stood up were: "If I live through this, I'm gonna shoot BOTH of them son of a bitches".

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2011 12:59 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
"If I live through this, I'm gonna shoot BOTH of them son of a bitches".

LOL! Ain't that the truth..Horses will bring out the worst in ya that's for damn sure.lol

With Horses it ain't "if" you're going to get hurt it's just a matter of "when". lol

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cayotaytalker
DOES NOT TEACH/SUSPECTED OKIE
Member # 1954

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2011 07:38 AM      Profile for Cayotaytalker   Email Cayotaytalker         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich,thank you for this post. Rich you do look about the same,you just lets just say have alot more character.Rich did you ever learn to harness that pair of horses? And if so do you remember how?
My dad could harness two mules that was back in the late 50s early 60s. I find these snapshots into ones personal history intersting.

--------------------
Now thats prime coyote country!

Posts: 403 | From: LasVegas Nevada | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2011 08:57 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Cayotaytalker ,

I watched my Dad slap a harness on a horse a few times, but I wasn't tall enough to hardly reach the back of a workhorse, let alone strong enough to throw a harness on one of the buggers. I did learn how to secure a saddle cinch that had no real buckle. Just a leather strap through a dang steel ring ya see. Hey, those work horses were trained real well. After the blizzard in 1949, Dad hitched his team of Grey's to a wagon and I rode into town with him. The .30-40 Kraig was laying on floor of the wagon box when he stopped in front of the bank. The horses were not tied, just standing there on their own when Dad got out and walked into the bank. Two town boys came and threw snow balls at the wagon, but the horses were not spooked. The thought struck me that maybe I will pick up the Kraig and point it at those guys, but I didn't. I now believe that the horses were used to the sound of ears of corn hitting the wagon box during corn picking time, which would explain why the snow balls didn't spook them.

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters