The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » followup (pics)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: followup (pics)
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2011 01:33 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I was talking about something or other and said that you guys (you know who you are) that are doing all the chest thumping and/or whining....don't know how good you have it these days.

Well, I dragged out and dusted off these relics for you to look at. Believe me, nobody helped and there sure as hell wasn't an Internet where you could cry about nobody helps me, etc.

These are of an aircraft battery with spill proof caps inside the box I made by hand and the Motorola 8 track tape deck which was actually state of the art at the time.

-

-

Good hunting. LB

edit, well, I copied the wrong photo and duplicated one instead of three different pics, but you get the idea with the two remaining.

It was just a different world, back then and you had to be inventive if you wanted to do more than sit beside a bush with a hand call.

edit: the other outlets were for plugging in a spotlight. We had a pretty good backpack sitting in the corner that we could put on and walk up a cat without any fuss, at all. I know it seems primitive, now days, but this was HOT SHIT in 1970.

[ January 28, 2011, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TundraWookie
Knows what it's all about
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2011 01:42 PM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Tell the truth Leonard. That was an early FoxPro that you took the label off of? I wonder if those 8 tracks would've snapped in the cold? Pretty creative stuff there. We got it easy today, no doubts about it.
Posts: 857 | From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2011 01:50 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
The 8 track tapes themselves were a problem, they wound themselves up tight. It was better to remove at least half of the tape when we eliminated the auto changer, which was a piece of silver tape.

The only thing in the machine itself, that ever broke was the $10 rubber band and we could usually fix that with a piece of electrical tape.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2011 03:02 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
(this is what I was talking about)

posted January 24, 2011 11:55 AM
I may not be self made, because I didn't hammer my plowshare into a shooting iron, or put an engine on my wagon, but starting out, there was damned little information out there. I had to learn it the hard way, trial and error.

You should have seen the aircraft battery we used to bring along, just incase we needed to walk up a cat. I still have it. It's inside an aluminum case I built for it, had a carrying strap and a handle made out of half inch EMT. I bet that battery helped me kill (what?) a few dozen bobcats that I would have had to leave alone because they were just not coming a step closer.

Take mist, for instance. Back in the day, we used to buy a couple filets if fish and let it bake in the sun for a couple days and then put in in one of those lettuce bags with all the holes in it and tape it to our front bumper. Compared to misting, it was a stoneage solution for downwind coyotes.

Another little item I still have is a Motorola 8 track tape deck. I built another aluminum enclosure and mounted it with two speakers, drilled a gazillion holes in the sides and it had a plug because that aircraft battery with the neat spill-proof caps also had a receptacle on top. A regular 110V but it worked just fine for 12vdc.

Nowadays, people can't imagine this because there is so much commercial stuff available. My wife told me that I was nuts not to market these and other things I had to quite literally, make by hand. For one thing, if it gave me an edge, I wasn't about to share it with anybody and besides, I thought the market was limited to less than a thousand people and I knew most of them personally.

Then there was the lights. God, I have made so many lights. Some people, it was a cottage industry because others were not very good at building stuff, and a light was one thing that was indispensable, if you were going to hunt the best part of a weekend.

There is a man who had a business building radios for all the Baja 1000 mile racers. So, naturally, the lights he made incorporated an array of buttons and toggle switches for communicating with the driver; where to turn, where to park as well as commands for after a stand, start the engine and go ahead were separate because a driver can get antsy and drive away with a rifle sitting on top when the guy in the back isn't quite ready. All the buttons had little lights on the dash so a driver could see them and know instantly, what the guy in back wanted him to do, turn around, back up, TURN THE FRIGGIN ENGINE OFF, I HAVE A SET OF EYES THAT JUST LIT UP AT THE SOUND OF THE ENGINE STARTING.....I'm sure there was a button for that?

I have said it a number of times. You guys don't know how easy you have it. Literally. There is nothing you need that you cannot buy. You know what? We had a difficult time finding CAMO! There just wasn't hardly any available. Now look at it.The market is flooded with any type of camo your little pampered heart desires; including SNOW CAMO. Back in the day, I used to wear a green plaid shirt that worked quite well and I didn't feel stupid because I wasn't dressed properly.

Oh yeah, we have to stay ahead of the curve. Don't make me laugh.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

CatTracker
Member # 3526

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2011 04:45 PM      Profile for CatTracker           Edit/Delete Post 
I must be getting old... My dad had an old portable record player that he toted around with some floppy Burnham Brothers records back in the good old days. The sport has definitely evolved...
Posts: 38 | From: NM | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2011 03:00 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
How much did all that weigh Leonard?

My father used to drive us around in his 1975 Cadillac playing the Carpenters on the 8 track.

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Clank
Member # 3687

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2011 05:40 AM      Profile for Clank           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember 8 tracks but thats about it .

I guess i am just a young pup.
I think i would have stuck with the hand calls instead of toting that thing around.

Posts: 45 | From: IL | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
NVWalt
Does not claim to be overly bright!
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2011 08:01 AM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember getting my first Johnny Stewart record player and thought that was the shit because you didn't need to use a hand call.
Making rubberband calls out of wood that looked like those Burnham Bros. plastic ones and didn't even know that there were other callers where I grew up,Lompoc,let alone contests. I also remember building all kinds of wacko light systems that would work off of car batteries. You needed to make or dream up everything that you buy off the internet now a days.I thought those were the good old days, not. But one thing was for sure. I didn't run into anybody else out calling and do remember the fun I had when my parents would take me to my aunts ranch up out of Caliente and killing lots of coyotes, cats and foxes until they 1080ed the ranches around there to get rid of the grey diggers. after that there was nothing left to shoot or call as that stuff killed absolutely everything.
I must be getting old to remember stuff like that....Good calling..Walt

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Posts: 636 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2011 08:46 AM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
I ain't as old as some of you guys but I do remember how big a deal it was to get an 8 track for my car. The move to cassette was a biggie.

Seeing LB's pictures remind me of the days when you were really something when your stereo was "in-dash". Most being under-dash supplements to the factory AM radio.

Posts: 646 | From: Midwest | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2011 11:53 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Many of us old-timers kept using the 8 track long after the cassettes came out for one simple reason: you had FOUR different sounds instantly available with the push of a button. Compared to 500 sounds on a TX500 that sounds pretty lame, but I promise, it is very possible to hunt coyotes with four sounds available, without switching tapes.

I heard that thieves would take a hammer to a dashboard just to get at one of the indash players, in the good old days.

Now, even back in the sixties, 45 record players were twenty years old and if somebody picked up one at a garage sale, they knew there was better equipment available. Me personally, I have only seen one record player and at the time, it didn't look like progress, to me?

But an 8 track has many advantages. I shouldn't have to point them out? That combo above probably weighed about 25 pounds, but it was worth it to be able to walk away from the vehicle with enough "juice" to run a tape deck and a spotlight for quite a long time. This was progress, folks, cutting edge technology, for the late sixties until about 1980 or so? By then you couldn't find an 8 track tape, it was all progress, cassettes. I had a very expensive Blaupunkt cassette player that automatically reversed at the end of the tape. WOW!

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Patterson
19.6 miles down the Yellow Brick Road from THE EMERALD CITY
Member # 3304

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2011 10:14 AM      Profile for Patterson   Email Patterson         Edit/Delete Post 
Thats pretty neat Leonard!
Posts: 236 | From: Kansas | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters