The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » First Blood

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: First Blood
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2010 07:48 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys often talk about how much you enjoy helping others find success, now I truly know how that feels.

After two unsuccessful deer seasons, and a handful of predator stands, my nephew sent word through the grapevine that he wanted me to take him duck hunting, and that he'd be up here staying with Grandma for a couple days before Christmas.

I'm working (well volunteering) on my internship hours, required for my degree, during this Christmas break, so I wasn't sure if I'd be able to fit a hunt in...

Wednesday afternoon I was able to get out of work early, so I zipped by the cornfield and was more than a little surprised to find it empty.
I called my mom's place and told the boy to "be ready in ten minutes!" and grabbed my stuff before picking him up.
To say he was excited would be a huge understatement!

-

We settled right in to the blind, no time to set out decoys or anything... we had about an hour to try and get the boy his first taste of success.

-

After a few flurries of birds, we had a brace commited to the little puddle left in the field, one dropped lower than the rest and I told Taylor to "take it!"
He made a great shot, though I backed it up to make sure the duck didn't run off into the jaws of a coyote (*and to save me a run through the deep mud in my regular rubber boots). [Wink]

-

I had more fun in this hour of hunting, with my nephew, than I have in a few years of hunting by myself. [Smile]

My Uncle taught me to hunt and call ducks, and I was so glad to be able to pass that on to another generation, somewhat successfully.
He's already trying to convince me to go deer hunting with him, next year, and I might just have to do that. [Razz]

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2010 10:29 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you, K. He does look like he enjoyed it.

Good hunting.

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
fgf4
unknown comic

Icon 14 posted December 27, 2010 10:39 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Great job Krusty!

That is one of the nastiest/muddiest looking cornfields I've ever seen! [Eek!] I've seen bean fields with more ground cover! [Big Grin]

Looks like you've got a hunting partner there... love that smile! Tells the whole story.

Nikonut

IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2010 03:55 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing that the Krusty One may have had a (well deserved) grin just as big for quite a while too. [Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2010 07:34 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Niko, you could have said: "I've seen parking lots with more ground cover".

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2010 09:06 AM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
Good job, Krusty!

I'll assume that cornfield had a little floodage?

Posts: 646 | From: Midwest | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
DEL GUE
SECOND PLACE: Mad Bomber lookalike contest
Member # 1526

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2010 10:11 AM      Profile for DEL GUE   Email DEL GUE         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like a good time was had by all!

What are you getting your degree in??

--------------------
"I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart." - Bear Claw

Posts: 588 | From: FL | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2010 12:51 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
He looks like one happy young lad!
Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2010 06:20 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
In general Taylor is a really happy kid. He can very often be found with that big grin on. [Big Grin]

People use the term "a man's man" and the boy is a man's kid, tough as nails, great athelete, and a good student.
When we stopped back by my house, to dress out his duck, he was a perfect gentleman and my roommate was more than impressed.

Yup some serious flooding had just receded to the point we could even get to the blind... it was totally under water just a week or so ago.

-

Del,

I am working on an Associate of Technical Arts (ATA) degree in Environmental Conservation (aquatic-terrestrial), with a special focus on wetland restoration.
I hope to transfer on to a four year school, and a Bachelor of Science degree (and I won't spare you guys the ironic humor, of the letters B.S. following my name! [Big Grin] ).

Krusty  -

Edit* to fix image tags

[ December 28, 2010, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: Krustyklimber ]

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters