The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » My Fellow Missourians:

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My Fellow Missourians:
JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2010 10:25 AM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
Two part post.

A.) We need bigger guns:

http://mdc.mo.gov/newsroom/hunter-shoots-unusually-large-coyote-northwest-missouri

B.) TA, quit flopping that WT speaker all over the place. You are running your call shy wuufs all the way down here.....

See link above.

Posts: 646 | From: Midwest | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Semp
GOLD STAR MEMBER
Member # 3074

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2010 11:20 AM      Profile for Semp           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like I need to put my .17HMR back in the closet.

--------------------
Always remember: That court appointed psychiatrist is not your friend.

Posts: 406 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2010 11:46 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
A 104 pound coyote. IF that's true & IF it's not a one of a kind circus freak type thing, that could have some interesting game management implications. [Eek!]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2010 12:25 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
I think some biologist got his "coyote" tissue and hair samples mixed up with something else. Maybe I'm wrong , but seriously a 3-year-old 100 plus lb coyote???

Could be that you guys who doubted ol'kirb about seeing(never killing)coyotes that are 3 wires high were wrong!

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2010 12:45 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not buying it, either. This DNA matching shit drives me absolutely nuts! I think it's all fake, and subject to much "interpretation", meaning that it is a matter of opinion. Yeah, the science of DNA is fabulous, but it don't work so good for determining oddball critters and where they belong toxononomically speaking.

Hmm? My spellchecker just told me I have invented another word, guaranteed to drive Dan, (the man) completely bonkers.

If you just look at it as a headline, who in the hell ever heard of a 104 pound coyote? Nobody, ever. What's that, three times normal? How about a 750 pound whitetail deer? Just shrug and say it's a big one, or are you going to consider some sort of hybred animal? Oh wait! Check the DNA. Science is always right. This is total BS.

Good hunting. LB

edit: Joe, you not only need a bigger caliber, it's not safe to let small children play outdoors with gigantic hungry coyotes in the neighborhood.

[ December 14, 2010, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2010 01:22 PM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
LB, you've got one too many "no's" in that "knew" word!

Yeah, what a crock. If it truly is a coyote it is such an unusual aberration that it'll never be seen again in our lifetime. Kind of like the guy they buried in the piano case back in 18XX.

Times Beach or Love Canal type animal, maybe?

Upper 30's is a big Mo. coyote, to the best of my knowledge.

One shred of my innocence of youth that I'm hanging on to is that I have never weighed a coyote, never had even the slightest desire to weigh a coyote, and the only thing I ever even remember thinking about the weight of a coyote (before the internet tried to tell me otherwise) is that some of em are too damned heavy to carry very far.

'Course, if I killed one that looked like it weighed 100 lbs that could all change.
Wonder if there is any money in it?

GC
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3718

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2010 06:25 PM      Profile for GC   Email GC         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm struggling with it too. It was independently tested by both the MDC and the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service and both reached the same conclusion - wild coyote. But I just have to believe that is some sort of mix breed crossed up mutant coydog of some sort. I never weighed coyotes either until a couple years ago and I began taking a Berkly electronic fish scale with me. Most weighed in the mid-30's, a couple the low 40 lb. range. In all my time I called exactly ONE coyote that I thought might have gone near 50 pounds. I had it at 25 yards and was so caught up at looking it over the damned thing smelled where I walked out to place the e-caller/decoy and bugged out so fast and at such an angle I couldn't even get a shot off. But it was absolutely huge, I called it King Kong Coyote. It was in a class of its own - and maybe it would have gone 50-ish. But 100+ pounds? I'm having a hard time accepting that as pure coyote.
Posts: 45 | From: US | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2010 08:03 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like a Huskey around the face. How much do they weigh?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Briguy
Unofficial AGENT PROVOCATEUR
Member # 3471

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2010 08:28 PM      Profile for Briguy           Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, that has some funky looking fur around the face and the ears look off. Does look a little like a Husky, but even they don't get that big. Usually 70 or so lbs...
Posts: 94 | From: El Desierto | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2010 08:29 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,

For Dan; Taxonomically, and husky. [Wink]

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2010 08:47 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone call Kirby the hole huffer and tell him his pet has been found..

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5062 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2010 08:57 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan's not going to be happy, you horning in on his turf, k.  -

The question is, why didn't my spellchecker figure out that I accidentally typed an extra "o" and an extra "n"? And, me too lazy to dispute it. Fuck it attitude.

Good hunting. LB

[ December 14, 2010, 08:58 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2010 07:48 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe that poor coyote suffered from a rare form of canine Acromegaly?
Ya know, the metabolic disorder that the wrestler "Andre the Giant" suffered from?

For the record:
As far as DNA testing has supposedly progressed, I ain't puttin' much stock in that assessment...

Remember, WOLF is a 4 letter word!

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2010 09:23 AM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
Unlike a lot of conservation departments, and even more people, I have quite a bit of faith in the Mo. Department of Conservation.

They are a class act - and I'm sure that will draw some fire from some.

I'll say it again, I think that is one mutant mess of a coyote. I have never seen or heard of any disease in the animal kingdom that would cause a tripling of typical weight, but maybe they are out there. Perhaps the act of natural selection drops them out quickly, like at the teat.

I've seen this topic posted on a couple of other boards (slummin) and have seen people firing on the ears quite a bit. I have shot several old male coyotes with round puffy looking faces that make the ears look anything BUT like what we picture as typical coyote. Especially desert coyotes.

I wonder if animals are like humans in that their ears never stop growing?

I have pictures of two of the biggest I ever killed - and no, I did not even think of putting (question for Dan - how do you turn the word "putt" in to an action verb or whatever the refined would call it?) the things on a scale.
One is almost a mirror image of that one, markings, round looking ears, all except the color. And I'm sure it weighed significantly less than 1/2 of the one linked above.
The other one looks more like a coyote in the face and ear department, but kind of makes you think of a German Sheppard. And weighs less than 1/2 of the one above.

I took pic's of those two not because of their weight but because each represented other events
that I wanted to memorialize.

LB - I'm not sold on these spell checker things completely. I've run in to a few cases where they don't accept some correctly spelled words and I find myself backing out to Word - maybe. And I'm just a product of the Missouri public school system. And DIT.

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2010 10:45 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
As for the odd size, maybe the coyote was sterile. Same results you get when you casterate a bull calf...

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5062 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bofire
READ MY LIPS!
Member # 221

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2010 11:04 AM      Profile for Bofire   Author's Homepage   Email Bofire         Edit/Delete Post 
My sons female Husky weighs an easy 100 lbs. that pic does not look like a coyote to me and I am not buying the story.
Carl

Posts: 322 | From: Wild West | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Patterson
19.6 miles down the Yellow Brick Road from THE EMERALD CITY
Member # 3304

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2010 11:29 AM      Profile for Patterson   Email Patterson         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if its spirit came out of its chest and ran back over the hill...
Posts: 236 | From: Kansas | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters