The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Palin's Alaska

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Palin's Alaska
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 09, 2010 08:36 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't watched the show. But, I did see a clip a few minutes ago, of her shooting a caribou. I hate to dump on her gratuitously, as many pundits already have, but.

That was ridiculous. I lost count, after five shots, (I think?) and then somebody hands her another rifle and she connects.

Okay, let us say that her gun was off or something? That's why they have the ability to edit their footage, back in the studio. I think it was deplorable to show her banging away at a very stupid caribou with extra small antlers. I don't know, maybe it was a cow, but it definitely wasn't a trophy.

Come on Sarah! We have to defend this stuff! She asks; "does it kick?" Well, so much for being a seasoned outdoors person. I am left to conclude that she never saw either of those rifles before?

If that's what the rest of the show is like, I am puzzled. The caribou clip was just plain phony. Somebody should have realized that. She, (apparently) is much more of a fisherman than hunter...unless she makes that abundantly clear, in the episode?

Poor judgement, Sarah. She's a Babe, but WTF?

Good hunting. LB

edit: http://www.popeater.com/2010/12/08/aaron-sorkin-sarah-palin/

[ December 09, 2010, 08:39 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 09, 2010 09:40 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep she appears to be a little green. The vidio could of been alot worse, like hitting and wounding the animal 3-4 times. Atleast she is trying and shows some interest in hunting. Can't say that for most of the presidents we had since I've been around.....

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheHuntedOne
Knows what it's all about
Member # 623

Icon 1 posted December 09, 2010 11:11 AM      Profile for TheHuntedOne   Author's Homepage   Email TheHuntedOne         Edit/Delete Post 
She may suck as a caribou hunter, but you ought to see her work a turkey call [Eek!]

--------------------
The On Line Resource For Custom Call Makers

THO Game Calls

Posts: 266 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
RagnCajn
ADDS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted December 09, 2010 12:36 PM      Profile for RagnCajn   Email RagnCajn         Edit/Delete Post 
Al, that is funny. I have a visual.
Posts: 362 | From: Shreveport LA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
the bearhunter
HM PROSTAFF & MIDWEST REGIONAL GURU VOTED MOST HANDSOME MINNESOTAN
Member # 3552

Icon 1 posted December 09, 2010 01:22 PM      Profile for the bearhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
i seen on another site that her father face-planted carrying the rifle and musta knocked it off. she does handle the gun good
Posts: 1049 | From: minnifornia | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Bofire
READ MY LIPS!
Member # 221

Icon 1 posted December 09, 2010 04:55 PM      Profile for Bofire   Author's Homepage   Email Bofire         Edit/Delete Post 
She could handle my "gun" good!! ya know "this is my rifle this is my gun, one is for fightin one is for fun"
Carl

Posts: 322 | From: Wild West | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted December 10, 2010 06:06 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Although those consecutive misses were painful to watch, it did appear that daddy's rifle wasn't on point. And I gotta give 'props' for not editing the misses out...

I'm thinkin' Mrs. Palin needs to have a nice little 7-08 built for herself before her next TV hunt. Problem solved!

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted December 10, 2010 02:28 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
 -
Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Dan Carey
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 10, 2010 04:44 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty plain some demorat messed with the sights on the wood handled rifle. She sure as hell hit the thing with the first shot with a rifle that shoots where you point it. Good on her.
IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 10, 2010 05:14 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds like a conspiracy theory?

But, stuff like that does happen. I remember, a long time ago, we were camped and my partner leaned his heavy barreled 22 Varminter (an Oberndorf Mauser with double set triggers) against the side of the truck. Sometime later, it slid down and fell and he didn't think too much about it. That night, I lit up a gray fox standing on a rock that was half the size of a small house, maybe more? He shot and missed and shot again and missed again and the fox moved down the face of the rock enough that I could see the impact so we adjourned and checked it out. The objective had actually broken loose from the barrel, useless, so we put it away and he sent it to Leupold and they fixed it.

That rifle was made before Remington standardized dimensions and it had a bit more capacity that normal. Performance was on par with a 220 Swift due to the chamber and the 30" barrel. We both killed a lot of cats and coyotes with that rig. In those days our eyes were very similiar and it was much simplier to keep one rifle on top instead of switching whenever we switched shooters. Some teams have a habit of changing jobs either every stand, or every kill but we never messed with that stuff. WE switched when somebody wanted to switch, Plenty of times I drove all night, and plenty of times, I worked the light all night. But, most of the time we switched when somebody got cold or got sleepy from driving or just got bored with what they were doing, which happened maybe 4 or 5 times a night. As I said, this is a lot different from most teams where they always wanted time on the gun and rotated every stand. Pat and I had killed way more animals than to worry about who was ahead, on a particular hunt.

Good hunting. LB

PS Dan, (the man) who sent me that application to join Desert hunter yesterday, out of the blue? You or Clever Gary?

[ December 10, 2010, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 11, 2010 06:59 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, just have somebody give her an iron sighted lever action 30-30..................and a turkey call. She'll do fine. [Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dan Carey
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 11, 2010 10:58 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
I heard it was Barry that sent you the invite.
IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 11, 2010 04:59 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
God dammit, Dan! You must be really tight with Berry?

He registered today, along with an email assuring me that it's really him. He said he probably "won't be participating much, but, you never know?"

Kinda surprising, but what does it have to do with that thing Gary runs? Or, you run or you both control, or you're the silient partner, or just a member who likes everyone to think he's really connected? Oh, and quiet well off.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted December 12, 2010 06:08 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
I caught the episode last night. Despite the scope that went south and the misses that followed, I thought the episode did a better job of portraying hunting than most anything I've seen on the boob tube in quite awhile.

It actually looked like they covered some ground hunting and herds of caribou weren't exactly running them over. Even though caribou aren't the most cagey critters on the planet it looked like they had to work a little crossing creeks, tundra, etc.. for what they did get.

What impressed me the most was how they showed them taking care of the meat and bringing it home where they cut it up at the Palin house (bloody hands and all, egad!). My youngest son, when watching the meat cutting part part said, "Thats what we do at grandma and grandpa's house." I think the episode portrayed what many average American's still do every fall.

How aout that gal that lived by herself on the edge of nowhere. Survived a bear attack and months at a time all by herself. I'd like to hear more about her.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters