The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » I think the boys at PM won the war (Page 6)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: I think the boys at PM won the war
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 02, 2010 12:52 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
First, let me say that I graciously accept any and all unsolicited gifts. But, here is my comment on the above photos. They all look like duck calls, to me? I have a bit of trouble with the way the mouthpiece is designed, like you are blowing on a trombone

? I absolutely love the Circe design. Don't know what it is called, but that was my very first hand call, it's all chewed to hell from biting down on it and I have not actually used it in a long time, but the plastic ones, (Circe's) suit me fine, just as well. Like a Havatampa cigar, I can chew on it for a long time after it burns out, still a lot of flavor in it.

Good hunting. LB

PS If I knew who invented Treebark, I'd have him taken out and shot.

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dan Carey
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 02, 2010 05:53 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
"Sheesh Dan, do I have to tell you everything!"

I know, I just wanted everyone to know.

IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 02, 2010 07:47 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
El Bee;
The Circe calls use the 'pipestem' type of mouthpiece. The plastic Sceery calls also use that design. I think that it was invented by the guy who first made TreeBark Camo. [Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7577 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alaskan Yoter
Knows what it's all about
Member # 169

Icon 14 posted December 02, 2010 08:02 PM      Profile for Alaskan Yoter           Edit/Delete Post 
Outstanding post Al.
Posts: 235 | From: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 02, 2010 09:21 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
For anyone interested here is a pic of some Pilgrim calls. http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/TA17Rem/IMG_2549.jpg[/IMG]]  -

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alaskan Yoter
Member # 169

Icon 1 posted December 02, 2010 09:42 PM      Profile for Alaskan Yoter           Edit/Delete Post 
Would ya like to part with them Tim? [Smile]
Posts: 235 | From: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheHuntedOne
Member # 623

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2010 06:33 AM      Profile for TheHuntedOne   Author's Homepage   Email TheHuntedOne         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They all look like duck calls, to me? I have a bit of trouble with the way the mouthpiece is designed, like you are blowing on a trombone
The calls do resemble duck calls, and I admit to being heavily influenced in some of my call making by the duck call makers. It is a fair and accurate observation. They are not as large as duck calls though. Most have a 1/2 inch bore while most duck calls have a 5/8 or even some 3/4. The larger the bore on a predator call, I find the harder it is to control the call.

As for the mouth piece. When I started trying to call coyotes, I had 4 calls. 3 of them were from Lohman, and one was a Primos Raspy Cottontail.

The Lohman calls all had a small hole in the mouth piece where the reed went in. The Primos call was just a 1/2 inch tube with a rubber busing in it to hold the reed.

They all worked just fine until it got really cold here, by cold I mean below 0. Then the Lohman calls would freeze up after just a few seconds. The Primos would last a little longer. The only difference I could see was the mouth piece on the Primos was more open. When I started making calls, I had the same problem. I started opening up the mouth piece bit by bit and the freezing up seemed to take longer. It never went away, but I could blow them for 30 seconds or so before they did.

I also found that trying to control a call with a small hole for a mouth piece was harder for me. I had a difficult time varying the cadence and inflection when calling. The more I opened the mouth piece up, the easier this became. The calls seemed easier to blow, and worked better with less air.

And again, your observation is right on, they are like blowing a trombone. It's just something that seemed to work for me and the way I called. Some guys will like the style and some will hate it.

I appreciate your honesty and critique.

Al Woodard
THO Game Calls
The On Line Resource for Custom Call Makers
www.thogamecalls.com
www.thogamecallsforums.com

[ December 03, 2010, 06:39 AM: Message edited by: TheHuntedOne ]

--------------------
The On Line Resource For Custom Call Makers

THO Game Calls

Posts: 266 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2010 07:17 AM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
First, let me say that I graciously accept any and all unsolicited gifts.
quote:
PS If I knew who invented Treebark, I'd have him taken out and shot.
What size do you wear, LB? I have this great "dessert wait" pair of coveralls that need "usin".....

Neat camo pattern, too.........

Posts: 646 | From: Midwest | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2010 10:33 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Dessert? Meaning they are edible?

Extra large,please, I'm still growing.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters