The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » When.. Pulled Over By A Cop..While Carrying... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: When.. Pulled Over By A Cop..While Carrying...
TheHuntedOne
Knows what it's all about
Member # 623

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2010 05:47 AM      Profile for TheHuntedOne   Author's Homepage   Email TheHuntedOne         Edit/Delete Post 
In NH, if you have a permit, it will show up when they run your license anyway.

I carry concealed for a reason. So the bad guys don't know I have a weapon.

Not all cops are good guys.

Nope. Don't ask, don't tell.

I'll comply with you and your instructions so far as they do not infringe upon my rights, but I am not volunteering any information nor am I giving up any of my rights so you can pull over at the next rest stop and jack off because you got to play tough guy with a civilian.

You be professional, and I will be professional.

If the fact that an American Citizen is exercising his Constitutional and State rights to carry a concealed weapon legally bothers you, you need to be in a different line of work. If concealed carry is legal, the officer or trooper should just assume that the person is carrying.

--------------------
The On Line Resource For Custom Call Makers

THO Game Calls

Posts: 266 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2010 01:37 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
THO,

I think this article was intended to help people learn the safest and most courteous way of interacting with a police officer while armed. At least from the perspective of an active duty LEO.

I don't think it was intended to be is utilized as a means to infringe upon the rights of the citizen. At least that's the way I read it.

Your points are well taken. If your method works for you then so be it.

Edit:Typo

[ June 23, 2010, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: 4949shooter ]

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2010 06:23 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
I am glad that Iowa doesn't have a law which requires all of us to tell the nice Policeman that we are armed. That is an infringement of constitutional rights in an of itself.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2010 06:55 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
My wish for Iowa is that they would go Shall Issue so it was uniform state wide on the CCW and not up to each sheriff. Then they could reciprocate with other states like the rest of the free world. Other than IL, CA and a few other east coast hell holes.

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheHuntedOne
Knows what it's all about
Member # 623

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2010 05:22 AM      Profile for TheHuntedOne   Author's Homepage   Email TheHuntedOne         Edit/Delete Post 

I understand the intent of the article completely.

I also understand that police officers have a very tough job, a dangerous job.

I live in a state that is "Shall Issue" with a valid reason to carry. State law specifically states that "Personal Self Defense" is a valid reason. (see below)

If that bothers any police officer in NH, they need to go work somewhere else. Assume that in a "shall issue" state, that a guy driving a pick up truck with NRA and Marine Corps bumper stickers is carrying. If you really want to know, ask. I will tell you the truth. If you ask for my permit, I will show it to you. I am not going to get into a pissing match with you on the side of the road. I will treat you professionally and with courtesy, and comply with your request, but I am not going to kiss anyone's ass because they have a badge and gun. If you do something that pisses me off, there is a time and a place as well as a mechanism in place to take care of my concerns.

Now, on the other hand, if I have a hand gun in the glove box, or on my hip and reaching for my license or registration is going to possibly revel that, I'm going to tell you I am carrying so you don't shoot me. Otherwise, you have no reason to know I am carrying.

CHAPTER 159
PISTOLS AND REVOLVERS
Section 159:6
159:6 License to Carry. –
I. The selectmen of a town or the mayor or chief of police of a city or some full-time police officer designated by them respectively, upon application of any resident of such town or city, or the director of state police, or some person designated by such director, upon application of a nonresident, shall issue a license to such applicant authorizing the applicant to carry a loaded pistol or revolver in this state for not less than 4 years from the date of issue, if it appears that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to the applicant's person or property or has any proper purpose, and that the applicant is a suitable person to be licensed. Hunting, target shooting, or self-defense shall be considered a proper purpose. The license shall be valid for all allowable purposes regardless of the purpose for which it was originally issued. The license shall be in duplicate and shall bear the name, address, description, and signature of the licensee. The original shall be delivered to the licensee and the duplicate shall be preserved by the people issuing the same for 4 years. When required, license renewal shall take place within the month of the fourth anniversary of the license holder's date of birth following the date of issuance. The license shall be issued within 14 days after application, and, if such application is denied, the reason for such denial shall be stated in writing, the original of which such writing shall be delivered to the applicant, and a copy kept in the office of the person to whom the application was made. The fee for licenses issued to residents of the state shall be $10, which fee shall be for the use of the law enforcement department of the town or city granting said licenses; the fee for licenses granted to out-of-state residents shall be $100, which fee shall be for the use of the state. The director of state police is hereby authorized and directed to prepare forms for the licenses required under this chapter and forms for the application for such licenses and to supply the same to officials of the cities and towns authorized to issue the licenses. No other forms shall be used by officials of cities and towns. The cost of the forms shall be paid out of the fees received from nonresident licenses.
II. No photograph or fingerprint shall be required or used as a basis to grant, deny, or renew a license to carry for a resident or nonresident, unless requested by the applicant.

--------------------
The On Line Resource For Custom Call Makers

THO Game Calls

Posts: 266 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2010 05:41 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
"My wish for Iowa is that they would go Shall Issue so it was uniform state wide on the CCW and not up to each sheriff. Then they could reciprocate with other states like the rest of the free world. Other than IL, CA and a few other east coast hell holes."
--------------------------------
Andy,
Iowa will be a "shall issue" state by the time I need to renew my permit next spring. The new permits will be good for five years.

--------------------

Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2010 11:31 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Thats fantastic. Did it pass this session, I assume?

That would make it where I could go any direction except east out of state. IL I dont think will ever get it.

--------------------
Andy

Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2010 11:55 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Rich, I found this, http://www.examiner.com/x-55536-Des-Moines-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m6d22-Iowa-Sheriffs-Plan-To-Be-Difficult

It appears some sheriffs are going to fight it. We went through the same thing here. After a brief dustup, we prevailed and there is not blood in the streets and gunfights in the bars as they predicted.

Im very happy and cant wait for them to start the recipricol process. It will make my travels north much easier. I always hated when going anywhere north to have to stop at the line and disarm. Bullshit.

--------------------
Andy

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2010 12:14 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
"Thats fantastic. Did it pass this session, I assume?"
-----------------------------
Andy,
Our Democrap Governor (Chet Culver) pushed the new concealed carry law through. I think he hopes to re-gain the support he lost by supporting Gay marriage.

--------------------

Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2010 12:37 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
It always blows my mind how conservative the rural areas are around Missouri. It seems you go to Iowa and Nebraska and they lean further left. Whats up with that?

AS for the CCW, I dont care how it got done, Im just glad it is done. Missouri will recognize you right off. I hope Iowa will recognize us too. They should.

--------------------
Andy

4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2010 01:03 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Fair enough THO.

I posted this article on another forum also, and received many positive comments. There were one or two folks with a similar attitude as you. I personally don't agree with everything the author says, and I can see where some may get the idea the author wants his ass to be kissed.

Generally speaking, I think the article is helpful. I have pulled over a fair amount of people who were carrying guns. Some of these people (including fellow LEO's) were not being smart about their methods of carry. There were also two times I can remember where I would have been legally justified (in my mind) in shooting the person(s). I held off both times, and everyone lived to see the next day. And for the nay sayers, remember that legally justified does not always equal necessary. If anyone doubts me on this I will share the stories later.

I can respect the fact that you (THO) might have more pistol savvy and common sense than the average CCW'er. There are emany people carrying guns out there who aren't quite up to your standards...thus the benefit of the article.

Thanks for your reply,

Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2010 02:49 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
You make a good point 49. Method of carry makes a big difference. I got a whole box full of holsters, good holsters, for various weapons and various clothing. Some guns just carry better with a certain holster and certain clothes. I normally carry one of two 9mm's in the warm seasons and 45 acp in the winter. Not just because of how I dress, but it does make a difference, but how a potential bad guy may be dressed. Right this moment, there arent many heavy leather jackets around here. In the winter, I would much rather have a 45 than a 9 for that reason and because I can conceal the bigger gun better in the winter due to clothing.

Concealed means concealed. Unless you find a reason to pat me down good, your not going to find it. One of my holsters, you wont even find it then, unless your gettin pretty friendly with me. LOL

Sloppy carry can get a person into trouble in a hurry. Learning to conceal and carry is very important, IMHO.

[ June 24, 2010, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: Andy L ]

--------------------
Andy

4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2010 03:45 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
That's exactly what I was getting at Andy.
Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2010 08:45 PM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
so a 45 has better penetration than a 9MM???
Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters