The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » GPS systems

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GPS systems
sparkyibewlocal440
Knows what it's all about
Member # 397

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2010 08:10 PM      Profile for sparkyibewlocal440   Email sparkyibewlocal440         Edit/Delete Post 
Any suggestions for buying a gps navigator, any certain brand or model, for the truck. Hey Leonard, a while back ago you mentioned a unit you bought, will it navigate the "numbered" dirt roads in Nevada? How about two tracks shown on a topo map?
Thanks, Gary

Posts: 170 | From: So. Cal | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2010 08:39 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Gary, the one I have is the nuvi1450. Shows some dirt roads. There are other units that do better. Do a search here, there was a recent post about a unit that Randy Shaw was using down in Texas. That's what you need for what you are talking about.

Good hunting. LB

edit: http://www.huntmastersbbs.com/cgi/cgi-ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000347

[ June 21, 2010, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
sparkyibewlocal440
Member # 397

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2010 08:45 PM      Profile for sparkyibewlocal440   Email sparkyibewlocal440         Edit/Delete Post 
Right on, thanks
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2010 09:11 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the Garmin 1350 for in the truck and you just have to shrink the map down till it picks up the trails. I've used it in Az. S.D., Mn.,Mo and Iowa and it works really well.. If you are in a hurry it will give you the quickest route or if looking to save gas a more efficient route.. [Wink]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5062 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
sparkyibewlocal440
Member # 397

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2010 09:27 PM      Profile for sparkyibewlocal440   Email sparkyibewlocal440         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Tim. I was under the impression that I needed a unit that can accept a topo program? Not so with your unit? I'll take a look at your model and give Garmin a call for some info.Looking at Garmins website, there is way too many units to choose from, as I have no clue what I'm doing. Leonard, your reply did give me a good retailer to make the purchase, gpscity.com.? Gotta hit the rack, I'll be back tomorrow.
sparkyibewlocal440
Member # 397

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2010 04:57 PM      Profile for sparkyibewlocal440   Email sparkyibewlocal440         Edit/Delete Post 
Appears the Garmin "NUVI 500" comes programed with street directions and topo of North America. Leaning towards this one for now.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2010 09:27 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
One thing to consider is the ability to take your unit for a walkabout, on internal battery, which the 500 can do, I believe? And, I think that one is "waterproof"?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
furhvstr
Member # 1389

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2010 05:58 AM      Profile for furhvstr   Email furhvstr         Edit/Delete Post 
I use a Lowrance XOG. If still available that is what I would reccomend. Affordable, small and lightweight, has batteries for going afoot, is made for the off roader but if it doesn't have enough dirt roads in it you can load up an sd card with maps and go. Simple unit without a bunch of city driving fluff.
ML

Posts: 144 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2010 08:17 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
I started the thread LB referenced in his post...I did indeed set my sights higher and did opt for the Garmin 60 Csx that a couple of the guys mentioned.

Just got it last Friday and have been messing around with it, as well as taking it in the car to and from work to see how it picks up satellites, etc.

I have to say I am going to be pretty happy with it. Going to use it to mark hot walleye spots on the lake, and mark land boundaries on unfamiliar hunting ground we get permission on.

[ June 23, 2010, 08:28 AM: Message edited by: booger ]

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
sparkyibewlocal440
Member # 397

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2010 09:03 PM      Profile for sparkyibewlocal440   Email sparkyibewlocal440         Edit/Delete Post 
Amazon.com seems to have the best deals?

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters