The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Predator Xtreme

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Predator Xtreme
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2010 09:10 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
June issue; "Hardcore Coyote Control"

Quote; "Several studies in the overview indicated fawn predation increased in the spring, particularly in June, coinciding with the births of fawns."

Truely brilliant stuff!!! [Eek!]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
Unofficial AGENT PROVOCATEUR
Member # 3471

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2010 10:06 PM      Profile for Briguy           Edit/Delete Post 
Koko, you know there had to be multi-million dollar grants and intensive research done to come to that conclusion. I mean, that isn't the type of stuff that you just pull out of your ass.
Posts: 94 | From: El Desierto | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2010 10:30 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Magazine sucks. Nuff said.

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
nd coyote killer
HUNTMASTER PRO STAFF
Member # 40

Icon 1 posted May 26, 2010 08:21 PM      Profile for nd coyote killer           Edit/Delete Post 
The reason behind some of the studies that i have read are because the greenies downplay the actual percentage of fawns killed....its a lot. I've seen it first hand and most people don't understand just how tough the coyotes can be on deer and antelope fawns especially in a year like this year where the rabbits are gone due to tularemia.

I haven't read the article just looked at it in the grocery story the mag sucks so i don't spend the money, but if they actually stated the above statement in the article that is truly hilarious!!!!

--------------------
"Sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim" - Bear Claw

Posts: 385 | From: On a hill | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 26, 2010 09:34 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
At first I liked some of the atricles,seemed to have some entertaining stuff especially Cal's Dogging articles.But for quite a while now it has really sucked.I wouldn't waste my money on it that's for sure.

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted May 27, 2010 05:33 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I got a free subscription from ordering at allpredatorcals.com but they called me up last month wanting me to renew it. I told em I didn't read the rag and just pitched it in the trash now.

They haven't called back.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted May 27, 2010 05:38 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm hoping for some change and better stuff upcoming. They have a new editor (Bob Robb) and I have been in contact with him. I still have some ideas for some new articles and will be writing for them again. Hopefully I can meet you guys high standards. Actually I do know from experience, that it is hard to tailor an article to be understandable by new inexperienced hunters and still be interesting for the more experienced. What do you tell someone who already knows it all? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted May 27, 2010 06:27 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Koko, I had the same reaction as you when I read that article. Actually I had to read that little section twice to make sure it really said what it did. I imagine the next article by that guy will tell us how coyote fur tends to be longer and thicker in the winter due to colder weather conditions and a lack of sunlight. Then again maybe it will be something along the lines of; coyotes, tend to come in more readily to a prey in distress sounds when they are hungry. Last but not least my favorite, all too common, obvious statement: "If you howl at coyotes and they howl back, then it can help you determine their location." Geewillickers what a novel train of thought.
Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted May 27, 2010 06:30 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
If they only put as much resource into the Content as they do the advertising they would have a good publication. Im sure they know a good article such as Cals doggin piece from some of the other things they put into print.Either they dont get the contributors they need or they'll print anything.Maybe that will change with Mr. Robb one can only hope.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted May 27, 2010 07:06 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
I recieve it from APC as well. Dont really like it at all, but if guys like Cal are workin on it, Im going to stay tuned.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 27, 2010 09:21 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have not seen a copy in a while, but to tell you the truth, I was not impressed, very much. Of course, I have never read Cal's column, so that is impressive information, right there. Seems that Bob Robb used to write for Guns And Ammo, which is a first class publication?

You know what? The "word" Xtreme is a huge negative, for me. It says jack off teenagers, to me, superficial, no depth, like we all were, at fourteen. They should retool with the proper spelling of the name, if they keep it, but a better idea is to come up with a better name entirely.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dan Carey
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted May 27, 2010 10:21 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Just keep this in mind. PX is the number one predator hunting magazine in the world. When you get rid of them you will have nothing. If you don't like what you see in the latest issue write the editor a note and present your views. I doubt if anyone here could run the magazine better. Another thing, they are limited in the number of qualified writers. So if you think you can do better, write an article and send it to them, they pay for talent. I think everyone should read it and support the only game in town. Change it if you can, I'm all for that if its for the better.
IP: Logged
fgf4
unknown comic

Icon 14 posted May 27, 2010 10:55 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
WOW!

Dan, you surprised me with that! [Wink] Very well said!

...And I have to agree that helping by suggesting changes or inputting directly and sharing one's knowledge is the way to go.

Nikonut

IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted May 27, 2010 11:16 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
Well put Dan!

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 27, 2010 12:07 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, I'm impressed with your facts! What is the number #2 Predator magazine in the world? Why do we need a predator magazine? Is it to create more interest in the sport? Provide useful information for novices? I kinda thought we did all that here, with help and support from all those other websites that focus on predators, of course.

As far as your challenge, I suspect that there are quite a few of our members that could put pen to paper and come up with a worthy article. And without volunteers, I might give it a try, unless it pulled me away from my duties, here. Which is, (don't laugh) a full time job, for me.

By the way, what do you call Trapper and Predator Hunter? Is that a magazine? Where does it fit into the hierarchy of printed material with a focus on hunting predators? Just asking?

Good hunting. LB

quote:
You know what? The "word" Xtreme is a huge negative, for me. It says jack off teenagers, to me, superficial, no depth, like we all were, at fourteen. They should retool with the proper spelling of the name, if they keep it, but a better idea is to come up with a better name entirely.

I didn't say we need to get rid of the rag. I said I wasn't impressed with what I saw and I hated the name.

[ May 27, 2010, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted May 27, 2010 02:12 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Trapper & Predator caller was my favorite magazine until Gerry Blair stopped writing for them. Dan Carey actually made a point that I agree with in his post about PX magazine. The lack of experienced predator callers or trappers that also have writing talent is actually the only thing that PX magazine lacks. Most of the articles are written by folks without much experience with predators. Cal Taylor has a ton of knowledge to share, and this is good news for the magazine as well as prospective readers of same. Bob Robb will add some class to that magazine as well.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted May 27, 2010 02:59 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
T&PC generally leans towards eastern trapping with an occasional article by Lance or Ted. Ted I don't know, and he is a California/Nevada desert caller. Lance we all know, and his articles are a fine read. But overall it is dedicated to trapping and trappers from the east. I have yet to read a decent article about western trapping in there. If you want western trapping the Trappers World is the only one with an occasional article by Sherm Blom, O'Gorman, or Slim Peterson. I'm not crazy about the Xtreme part of Predator X either, but I suppose it looks better on a magazine stand and stands out amongst all the other hunting crap mags. But the one thing that you guys are still over looking is that most of you aren't likely to find a coyote hunting magazine article that changes anything you do. Most here already know their area and have developed your own methods for those areas. Magazines sell to the guys that are looking for information and maybe places to go. They are typically unsuccessful and looking to improve. When I was a kid I could read a Fur Fish and Game repeatedly trying to gain some tidbit on trapping or hunting. Nowdays, I haven't even thumbed through one on the rack for years. I outgrew that magazine and have to go elsewhere to learn a new trick to try. I have read volumes on Africa, because I knew little about it and always figured I'd go someday, same with Alaska. I still am fascinated by articles about Alaska and hunting big game there. Africa has changed to so much high fence that it has kind of lost it's luster to me. But thats what I enjoy reading about, the things I don't know much about.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 27, 2010 03:59 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Good post, Cal. I suppose the market is there, as you say. It's too bad that the criticism noted at the top of the thread probably has merit, but I guess it says that the HM segment of the market needs a bit more "in depth" content, which is why they have Cal Taylor and could be the sole reason why "our" members look at the magazine?. It's not easy being satisfied when you know the subject.

Cal, best of luck with the column, you deserve it, and I'm proud to know ya!

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted May 27, 2010 04:08 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
First off, thanks, Cal. High praise.

As has been stated, T&PC is directed more at the eastern half of the country because, quite frankly, that's where the demographics for this growing calling community are at. Ohio and Penn are two of the fastest growing in terms of new callers these days, which was a big part of why the Expo was held in Ohio and not out west. Yes, there are a lot of callers in the western half, but the very vast majority of those are entrenched in time-tested methodologies and those guys, as a rule, are so well equipped for this game that they're not interested in all the new fangled gizmos advertised in the various magazines.

Now, as far as magazines and their popularity (albeit shrinking in some respects)... I used to be a regular listener of Paul Harvey everyday because I listen to a radio at work all day. One day, his commentary cited a study done to study how kids responded to video versus written words. One group of kids was shown the new Harry Potter movie, then asked to read the book. The second group was given the book first, then shown the movie. The results were interesting, to say the least, and bear with me. There is a point here.

Those that read the book first stated that they enjoyed it more than did those who watched the movie first. In fact, those who watched the movie admitted that the movie pretty much ruined the book for them. The reasons cited were that those who read the book first created a visual image of the book's characters and storyline in their imaginations that, by their description, turned out to be more vivid and with less restrictions on imagination than what they saw afterwards in the movie.

Those that watched the movie first, then read the book, admitted that while reading, the image in their mind was simply a replay of the movie. Being exposed to the the video first stifled their imaginative abilities, and thus, took away some of the potential pleasure of reading and personalizing the story they were reading about.

Back to the magazines - there is so much out there today for the up and coming predator hunter in the way of videos, YouTube clips, and the like that trying to get someone to sit down and immerse themselves in a written story about calling is sometimes very difficult. I struggle with every article to write it in such a way as to deliver some good information, but at the same time, paint a picture into which the reader can insert himself or the faces of people he knows, or to remind the reader of a similar experience they've had while hunting so that they can relate personally to what I'm saying. And, to try and get a laugh or chuckle out of them somehow. It isn't always easy. But, the point is... reading is a lost art, and for many of us who have been doing this for a long time, our experiences are so lengthy and complete that it is difficult for us to read something about calling coyotes and, at the same time, imagine the experience with the same sense of mystery we had as kids because, try as we might, the images in our minds are usually just replays of our own past experiences.

Fur Fish and Game was a great read back in the day (still is) because each of us lacked the experience we have today, and our imaginations tended to impart a sense of mystery to the topic and our minds went a bit wild with far-fetched anticipation. Cal has never been to Africa, as far as I know, so the personal aspect of that experience is still lacking, but his imagination still creates certain desired features that, in reality, probably wouldn't exist if and when he gets there. Things never quite measure up to our expectations if we think about them ahead of time, too much.

Thus, the challenge of the hunting writer. Just coming up with new ideas is the biggest challenge sometimes. I just agreed to a two year calendar of new material and the largest group of articles I've ever been assigned. The market is still there. It's just up to guys like me to provide the material.

I have to disagree with Dan's statement about PX being the biggest thing in calling mags. I've recently seen that they claim 250k paid subscribers. No way. Maybe all their titles combined, but not just PX. I deliver mail in the middle of good calling country. I know for a fact how many people get T&PC here, and how many get PX. Only one gets the latter - me. And only because APC sent it to me. I can't count on both hands the number of people I've ever met that subscribed to PX because they wanted it. Every recipient I've ever known got it after ordering something from AP. Not attacking PX - just staying what I've seen based upon firsthand experience.

T&PC, on the other hand, distributes roughly 50k issues, ten times a year with at least two calling related articles per issue. (Each is required to publish a distribution statement once a year, including how many subscriptions were shipped each issue, which is also mandated to be provided to such folks as the Post Office to determine their shipping rates.) The origins of that magazines were trappers, and that will remain their mainstay for the present time. Our sister magazine, Predator Hunting, has been received quite well, despite being only 2 issues each year (fall and winter) selling over 55-60k copies each. Much of the uptick in it sales has come as a result of how magazine titles are bundled and marketed, which FW is doing a better job of exploiting as far as market shares go. For many of PH's first years, dist'n in the west and SW wasn't due to a lack of interest. It was because the publisher didn't have access to the distribution grid out there. FW carries a buttload of titles, and it's my understanding from insiders that T&PC and PH are two of their leading money makers.

As far as working with editors, T&PC is much more writer-friendly, IMO, for guys with no writing experience. T&PC is always in the market for well written material from people who bring their trapping and calling experience to the table, rather than just their ability to string words together. The editorial staff will bend over backwards to help polish your submission and help you get it where it's good. The story may not be eloquent, but at least you know it comes from somebody who doesn't mind getting dirty and who smiles when they get a whiff of skunk musk or beaver castor.

BTW, Ralph was/is a gun writer and was big with Guns and Ammo (0r a similar magazine) before taking the assignment for PX. Did he retire, Cal? What was behind the change up, if you know?

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters