The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Reliable source (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Reliable source
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2010 01:21 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
"Dan, I'm beginning to think that you didn't lie about being 77?"
-----------------------
Yep, he lied. He is actually 78 I think. [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2010 02:08 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, at the campout, he had this 39 foot luxury trailer and out of respect for his age, we all kept the noise down to a hush until 9:30 or so, which is when he usually rolled out, fresh as a daisy.

Nobody camps like Dan, he even offered a shower to Kelly, but not me, of course. Hmm? I arrived before him and left after he did, but camping is camping; and I survived.

Well, time for my nap.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2010 07:18 PM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
that shower was kick ASS. Thx again Dan.
Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2010 07:45 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I bet it was? That's what friends are for.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kelly Jackson
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2010 08:22 PM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
LB - the year before Les let me take a shower.
That was the year of the dirt storm. It was even more kick ASS....lol

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2010 09:25 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
UPDATE: Okay, we got everything squared away, he apologized for being such a dick and I accepted it. As the sun sets, peace returns to Beaver Valley. LB

edit: Dirt storm? Wonder where I was? Was that the year that Loony Tunes drove over a spike strip?

[ March 06, 2010, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Randy Roede
"It's Roede, like in Yotie
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2010 07:37 AM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, days and pages behind on this,

If I understood it correctly, no season would be proposed where the fawn mortality was high.

A season would be proposed in all other areas.

What if the fawn survial rate increases because of increased harvest because of this being the only areas open to hunt and survival rate increases. I assume like you these areas are going to see an increase in hunting pressure and harvest?

Then would there be a closed season everywhere?? For a specific time?

I am curious on what is the voting public feelings. From what I hear from the snowbirds we have there, the urban coyote population and the problems associated with that, would it have enough support?

One story of Fee Fee getting snatched up screaming into the night and it can change an outlook on the subject.

Individual hunters beliefs to or not to hunt during the denning season and education there of seems a much better self regulating idea. The news of the areas effected from coyote to deer and antelope depredation areas and there again education that more of a harvest is needed there without imposing seasons sounds a bit more friendly.

Seems no doubt that recreational callers or calling clubs would for sure like to see a season. The what ifs are then what problems could a season in other areas create, increased populations in those areas, will that create other problems? These so called closed areas during pup rearing times allowing for higher survial rates of the pups spilling over into urban areas and these fawn rearing grounds. It won't take long for coyotes to figure out the closed areas if they are anywhere near the open areas. Maybe there will be no ill effects I'm just bored typin before i try and go untangle about 2000' feet of cable i pulled up yesterday.

Only my opinions from a 1000 mles away.

Enough about men in showers in remote areas.

To all spell checkers I am sorry now and hence forward!!!!

Higgins, one son gone from UTI and never made it down have my youngest there now at the Golf version of the same school, may be planning a trip down in April??

--------------------
The only person dumber than the village idiot is the person who argues with him!

Posts: 669 | From: Pierre SD | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2010 09:11 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Enough about men in showers in remote areas. RR
I agree. Makes me think he wasn't there for the huntin'?

quote:
Seems no doubt that recreational callers or calling clubs would for sure like to see a season. RR
I do not think that you can assume that statement has merit? In fact, taken to a vote, the only club that might be in favor would be the one where my buddy is the current president?

Good hunting. LB

[ March 07, 2010, 09:14 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2010 10:30 AM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
We could have a season here in Utah and I wouldn’t notice as far as my hunting goes. My hay buyer might, he has lambs on the ground during the denning season, if I lose that market I WOULD notice.

Here is the thing, the critters that do damage to my operation consist of deer, and sand hill cranes. Both are considered game animals. The one that does the most damage is a migratory game bird making them a federal deal the state is limited to what they can do. They quickly become accustomed to the non-lethal methods, I can chase them off and they fly a quarter mile away and are back within the hour. There is only one way that I know of to insure that they don’t come back. However, there are a bunch of hoops to jump through to get there, and by that time killing them is more of an act of revenge than protection.

So if protection is extended to the coyote. Does the coyote have to do damage before he can be removed? If so how much? Does that damage have to be proven to have come from the coyote as it needs to be proven with wolves and other protected predators? Who will be authorized to remove these problem animals? What hoops will need to be threaded to become authorized?

If the goal for proposing a season is to steer recreational hunters to specific open areas at certain times of the year there has to be a better way. Someone here (I want to say Lance but I’m not sure) once floated the idea of trapping a few coyotes and putting tags in their ear for a two pointer. How many coyotes could be removed if there were half a dozen or so coyotes(male releasing a female would be counter productive) running around in the problem areas with tags in their ears worth $2,000 each from X to Y dates?

Respectfully submitted.

Bryan

edit for spelling

[ March 07, 2010, 10:36 AM: Message edited by: Bryan J ]

Posts: 599 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2010 11:03 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...if there were half a dozen or so coyotes(male releasing a female would be counter productive) running around in the problem areas with tags in their ears worth $2,000 each from X to Y dates?

That would scare the crap out of me...

I've seen guys get stupid and irresonsible just trying to win a contest around here. It's one of the reasons I hold such a dim view on contest hunts in general. It gets guys that would not ordinarily be out hunting coyotes at all, not only out hunting them, but being complete outlaw, jackass, morons while out hunting them. It may be a small minority, but some of those guys do drugs to stay awake driving all day and all night, night hunt where it isn't legal, trespass on private property, hunt within city limits, etc., etc., etc. All to try and win some stupid ass contest hunt.

And then you have all the beer swilling, sign shooting, night riders out in Tooele county when they thought they were going to make a few bucks on $20 ears.

I would truly hate to see the kinds of behavior and acts of wanton lawlessness and pure idiocy that the chance at a "Golden Coyote" would bring out. Holy crap... The media would have so much material to work with being shoveled into their laps they would not know what to do with it.

And on top of all that, I personally doubt that all of the extra pressure would do much, if anything at all to curb depredation. Utah gets called pretty hard already. I'm sure the annual kill would be increased somewhat by putting the chance for a big money coyote out there, but I personally doubt it would make that much difference. It would not get the hard cores calling any harder, they're all hunting as much and as hard as they can already. Unleashing a bunch of idiots on the public ground would actually reduce the numbers killed by guys like me. I'm sure I would not be alone in avoiding like the plague the areas where the ear tagged Golden Coyotes were thought to be.

And, as you know probably better than I do, stopping damage usually means killing a particular coyote or pair of coyotes. Killing a bunch of coyots in general, probably isn't going to help.

Sorry... No offense buddy, but I think that's a baaaaad idea...

Honestly, here in Utah, I see no reason to change anything.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2010 11:39 AM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
Naw LB, I come to the campout to see everybody and hunt some.
Heck if I just wanted to hunt I would stay home.

Gather one of these yesterday evening and five more before noon this morning before I got rained out.

Good Hunting and stay after them
Kelly

PS four out of these six were shot running, they would not stop or check for shit.

-

[ March 07, 2010, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: Kelly Jackson ]

Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2010 01:31 PM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
Don’t worry Dave no offense taken. If I post something about coyotes I fully expect and APPRECIATE the holes in my thought process being pointed out. I have seen exactly what you are talking about, maybe not to the degree that you have seen though. I have just been trying to read between the lines is all, maybe not enough, maybe too much.
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2010 03:53 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang Kelly, leave a little for seed man!!!

Nice shooting!!! [Smile] I missed a runner Saturday! - very frustrating missing coyotes, especially on one of my favorite ranches to hunt. This ranch has always produced great but I've killed 90% (who knows exactly) of what I've called there. Its probably purely superstitious, but I don't mind missing nearly as bad in an area I rarely hunt compared to a ranch I really like. I feel like misses really wreck a great area for the future.

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2010 04:47 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz]

[ March 28, 2010, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2010 04:55 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
So, how many miles did you put on your truck tryin to find the golden yote? Sounds right up your alley. LMAO

BTW, Jimmy Johnson was named athlete of the year last year for driving a car. Im out there quickly but stealthily getting to my stands, where I sit. Im fist pumpin and endzone dancin after a kill that would rival any NFL celebration. I think next year a coyote hunter, such as Kelly, should be nominated for athlete of the year. I know we are athletes in our sport. No one can deny that!

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2010 05:34 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz]

[ March 28, 2010, 10:01 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2010 11:55 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
NOTICE: It has just come to my attention that it was NOT Higgins that called yesterday! Damn, is that embarassing! Well, at least my son is sorry for being a dick and not paying me that 24 grand he owes me.

I have no idea what happened to Rich? I might have doubled up on my meds, not sure? I guess the joke's on me? haha

Good hunting. LB

PS, I have always said, those Utah guys are scary when they get into Nevada!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dan Carey
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2010 07:19 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go Kelly, some can call them and some can't. Some just wish they could.
IP: Logged
Possumal
HONORARY CALLS FORUM MODERATOR edit: AND TOKEN LIBERAL
Member # 823

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2010 07:36 AM      Profile for Possumal   Author's Homepage   Email Possumal         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Kelly. Great pictures, good work. Looks like you have those dogs and the CS-24 working good. Kudos to you, sir.

--------------------
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Posts: 781 | From: Nicholasville, Ky. | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
ninthinning
Knows what it's all about
Member # 900

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2010 10:34 AM      Profile for ninthinning           Edit/Delete Post 
There is a lot of good thought in this discussion. Here in New York we have a coyote season. The season allows the young to get smart and survive. I grew up in Colorado and when I got to NY I thought a season was foolish. All my life I had thought of coyotes as vermin to be killed on sight. Here in NY they are game animals with the same status as deer and beavers. I am convinced that a season on coyotes in the East is a good thing.
9th

Rich, I am hoping to get that Higgy call sooner rather than later.
9th

--------------------
Their horses are swifter than leopards, fiercer than wolves at dusk - Habakkuk 1:8

Posts: 67 | From: Colden | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
ninthinning
Knows what it's all about
Member # 900

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2010 10:41 AM      Profile for ninthinning           Edit/Delete Post 
Denies being deep throat???? I admit to being a gunsmith and that is it!!!!
Leonard,
Nice site. every time I post my concept of global ???? on the web I get kicked. Except here and 5.7.com. You are a good man in my book. For not censoring the "truth".
9th

--------------------
Their horses are swifter than leopards, fiercer than wolves at dusk - Habakkuk 1:8

Posts: 67 | From: Colden | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
SURESHOT
PAKMAN
Member # 1122

Icon 1 posted March 09, 2010 11:15 AM      Profile for SURESHOT   Email SURESHOT         Edit/Delete Post 
I do not think that you can assume that statement has merit? In fact, taken to a vote, the only club that might be in favor would be the one where my buddy is the current president?

lenard in reference to your statement about PVCI going to a mandated seasonal hunting of coyotes or supporting a regulated season, it will not happen. Our club members hunt with their own ethical standards. Our club stops our contest hunts in March and start back in Sept. There are a few members that assist Game and Fish during birthing times for Antelope and Deer. Please don't start assuming that our club supports seasons on Coyotes. I personally stop hunting coyotes all summer so that areas that I hunt can replentish with more coyotes. I rarely hunt in the same area more than once a year. Other young novices etc. hunt year round and thats their business. I like to see coyotes given a break. The rancher that looses calves wants to kill them year round and yank pups out of their den. That is totally their business. Thanks for your time, Bob B , Hunt Chairman PVCI ps: It doesnt sound like your buddy is really your buddy.

Posts: 7 | From: ARIZONA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 09, 2010 01:04 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Bob B, that has been made abundantly clear to me, as well. And, in the first place, I was only speculating, since "my buddy" obviously feels the need for some sort of protection for the coyote, although he can't seem to admit it in public? I thought he was the President, but apparently, he isn't; my bad. I assume, if he were, he might possibly attempt to influence the membership, but that there is just a guess?

And, I don't really care, one way or the other what that club does. It so happens that my personal attitude is that I honor the denning season, but I do no advocating for anyone else, or any group or organization. I am against handing that decision over to any agency where they would mandate seasons and probably bag limits if someone in authority believes it to be justified. That's a slippery slope, and I would never go there and would hope that most (if not all) predator hunters feel the same way?

My intention was/is not to berate or accuse your club or any club for any policy currently in force, that I am aware of? Should the situation change, advocating seasons or methods or bag limits, I reserve the right to express an opinion.

Good hunting. LB

edit:
quote:
In fact, taken to a vote, the only club that might be in favor .....
note word in bold

[ March 09, 2010, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted March 09, 2010 05:24 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Leonard,

I wouldn't be to afraid of some of us Utah guys hunting coyotes out in Nevada,we're pretty harmless. lol [Wink]

Good Hunting Chad

[ March 09, 2010, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted March 09, 2010 05:55 PM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to recommend Leonard come to visit when we start shooting at deer with rifles if he wanted to see scary.

PS, speaking of Nevada my packman card didn’t work at the gate last time I was there, I thought I was behaving myself?

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters