The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » I have a few computer questions?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I have a few computer questions?
Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted February 28, 2010 08:12 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
What OS and what browser do you guys use?

I've been running without virus software for almost a year. I've been told I've been lucky. The reason for running around unprotected was it slowed my old computer down a whole lot. I would simply run scans with ad-aware for malware and such periodically. Well a couple of days ago I picked up a very bad malware program, and I ended up reformatting and reinstalling Windows on the C drive.

I wish we could get our hands on these Ass holes that put out this stuff. The time and money spent trying to repair our computers because of a few greedy ass holes has to be in the millions and possibly the millions. While trying to purchase spydoctor to finalize the cleanup, they even put up a pop up on top of the credit card page called "ADVANCED CREDIT CARD PROCESSING" that was asking for the same info I just put in. Plus they were asking me for my atm pin. I shutdown my box, called the bank, and cancelled my debit card. That is why I went thru an entire rebuild of my C: drive. Luckily, my data files are on the D: drive.

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1925 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 28, 2010 08:22 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what motivates assholes to damage the computers of people they don't know, other than it apparently takes a type such as Robb Krause who screws around "because he can" a response which should be on the psychoanalysis test for screening deviants.

I have come to the conclusion that if you can afford it, get a Mac. Yes, there are a few viruses, but way better feeling of security for we non geek types.

Good hunting. LB

[ February 28, 2010, 08:51 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Possumal
HONORARY CALLS FORUM MODERATOR edit: AND TOKEN LIBERAL
Member # 823

Icon 1 posted February 28, 2010 08:35 AM      Profile for Possumal   Author's Homepage   Email Possumal         Edit/Delete Post 
IE 8 is much safer than the old versions. Avast by Alwil is an excellent free virus protection or you can upgrade to their pro version which is worth the money. Combine either with Windows Defender, running full scan daily, to take care of spyware and malware, and you are set.

--------------------
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Posts: 781 | From: Nicholasville, Ky. | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Aznative
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted February 28, 2010 02:15 PM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
A mac for the home would be nice for probably everything I use a computer for except my ballistics programs. But you are right about them being pricey. However, a Mac just won't work with my automotive stuff. Linux doesn't work for either purpose. I tried a linux based financial program as a possible replacemet for Quicken called Money Dance, and its report generation capabilities are a real joke. Money Dance had great reviews as being one of the best Linux programs available for personal finance. I would love to get away from Mr Bill's crappy OS and programs, but to date I haven't found anything that will work.

--------------------

Briguy
Unofficial AGENT PROVOCATEUR
Member # 3471

Icon 1 posted February 28, 2010 02:52 PM      Profile for Briguy           Edit/Delete Post 
I run on IE8 with Vista. Running Norton 360 and Spybot Search and Destroy in the background. Spybot is free and I recommend it as you can't update registry entries without permission. That's where they get you is they change registry settings and unless you know what you're looking for and doing, tough to fix them.
Posts: 94 | From: El Desierto | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Aznative
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted February 28, 2010 07:46 PM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
Briguy, you just gave me an idea. I need to keep copy of my registry after every hardware/software change. This way I can just import the latest saved registry file.

In fact, I just exported/saved a Feb 28 2010 reg file to a My Documents folder I called registry entries.

I'll check out spydoc in the mean time.

It is sure nice using my computer now. About two years ago, I increased the memory to 2 gigs to get some more life out of my ole Pentium 4 processors. For the type of things I do, they still run quick for such old boxes.

It is kinda like the proverbial lobster in a pot of water on the stove. He doesn't know it is getting hot because it happens gradually. In the same way my computer was just getting slower and slower. I just got used to it being that way.

I'm also restricted on updates I can get from Mr. Bill for Win XP. Lets just say ever since he supported a gun control voter referendum in Washington state, I refuse to give him any more of my money.

Thanks for the tip.

[ February 28, 2010, 08:15 PM: Message edited by: Aznative ]

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters