The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Leonard and Mercer's Big Adventure (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Leonard and Mercer's Big Adventure
Dusty Hunter
Knows what it's all about
Member # 1031

Icon 1 posted December 12, 2009 03:16 PM      Profile for Dusty Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Quote:
"Anybody know if he's any kin-folk to the real Gerry Blair?????"

That's one of the Beastmaster's sons. He does the pr work for the Sheriff in Coconino County. He's about the same size as his dad and just as friendly.

Posts: 346 | From: AZ | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted December 12, 2009 04:08 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Thats pretty wild stuff LB. I would have been like you and wanted to take pics. Whats the odds you will ever see anything like that again?

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 12, 2009 09:12 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's good to know that this other Gerry Blair's the real deal, & not an imposter!!!

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7620 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
furhvstr
Member # 1389

Icon 1 posted December 13, 2009 07:13 PM      Profile for furhvstr   Email furhvstr         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard is good guy. I enjoyed my time out with him. He was little stingy with the braggin stories. I am sure he must have a bunch.

I was happy and relieved to have a cat in a cage to show him.

Not sure he is all too impressed with my ability to identify critters at night. I was a little off my game. Never had a living legend in the truck with me. Seriously I am having trouble with my eyesight in low light. I geuss my age is creeping up with me. It cost us a cat.

I sure don't need no pictures. I have been seeing that poor old guy everytime that I close my eyes.

I have been out many hundreds of nights over the years but that night with LB will likely stay with me forever.
Thanks for coming up LB

ML

[ December 13, 2009, 07:14 PM: Message edited by: furhvstr ]

Posts: 144 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2009 07:27 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
I found an Elderly woman that I had known for several years last February. I still see her every time I turn down Leslie Canyon Road, or hear someone start to tell a story such as this.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Patterson
19.6 miles down the Yellow Brick Road from THE EMERALD CITY
Member # 3304

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2009 10:19 AM      Profile for Patterson   Email Patterson         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, I have always wondered if I will ever find a body out an about. I dont really want to and I really dont want the image stuck in my head. Bones would be one thing but a body with a face is another. At the same time I have some kinda interest in it and if facinates me to wonder why/how a body got their. Pictures.....little much for me though.

Lance, did you hear about that body they found in Chapman just a couple weeks/month ago?? Just off the blacktop and sitting under a tree? I think found by a pheasant hunter.

Posts: 236 | From: Kansas | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2009 11:51 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
A long time ago, when the state organization was large with membership, we tried to donate our expertise to the authorities involved in searches; down aircraft, lost child, missing person, etc etc. Tha arrogant bastards always turned us down; no thanks! If there is anybody that knows the desert and can cover a lot of ground especially at night, it's a predator hunter.

Now, what Mercer is alluding to, talking about impressions, is that there were a number of times that there was a mild difference of opinion, and it involved identification of animals. That's it. He's a good shot and a hard hunter and very talented trapper. There were a few times when I was pretty sure of what we had out there, and he had a different opinion. That's what it's all about, you see eyes and what do you do about it? Well, I was not going to be impolite, nor was I going to distract him from checking his cages. We DID drive by a road at least once while I was yaking, and spinning yarns, going down memory lane, which was not the purpose of this trip, at least I didn't think it was? We can do that over a brew, or as I suggested, during a 600 mile drive. There are few blank spots in the conversation, on a road trip....but once we turn off into the dirt and break out the gear, it's all business, right?

I'd get out with Mercer any day, he's definitely got the fever.

Good hunting. LB

[ December 14, 2009, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31542 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2009 04:38 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's the one I was speaking about in my above post. Didn't sound like much beyond just a guy that set up camp and died. I'd careful about the coyotes in that area thogh,... taste of flesh and all in their mouth.

Leanord,

Your decription of the guy was that he was kneeling, leaned forward like he was in a muslim prayer pose? Right? Maybe the guy was driving down the road, felt sick to his stomach and got out to vomit, which is why he was on the ground like that. One of the early signs of a massive heart attackm is the onset of nausea and vomiting, which would explain how he went from alive to sick to dead in short order. No foul play, just a guy who died and needed finding by somebody who'd make sure what he left behind got taken care of.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2009 01:40 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
In any case, the mystery continues.

I emailed a reporter for the Barstow Desert Dispatch yesterday explaining the situation. He checked the county coroner's website and couldn't find anything? He promised to get back to me when he learned something, and as of now, he has not got back to me.

I'm pretty sure he believed me, although I had no concrete information, didn't have a record of the vehicle license, had no idea of the victim's name. But, if he can find the original 911 call log and maybe a dispatch by San Bernardino Sheriff's, we might at least verify that something happened, and I'm not a crank?

The question remains, why no report, no newspaper account and no obituary?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2009 06:37 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
The Sheriff's dept. might not yet have a positive ID on the victim, or the investigation is continuing and they don't want to compromise it, so they are keeping it quiet for now.

Interesting story...and it's good you guys stayed away from the body and didn't contaminate the scene.

Yes, Gerry Blair retired as a captain with AZ DPS.

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2009 02:15 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Any updates?
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2009 09:40 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Mercer told me, (he's local, I'm 80 miles away) that the coroner determined that it was a heart attack. That's all I know, never got a name?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2009 10:30 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
That makes sense.
RonFin
Member # 3483

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2010 07:39 PM      Profile for RonFin           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, There is a Mercer about 80 miles from Upland that offers guide service. Same guy?
Posts: 39 | From: San Bernardino County, CA | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2010 09:37 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Beats me? He never mentioned it? He's in Barstow.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

RonFin
Member # 3483

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2010 10:44 PM      Profile for RonFin           Edit/Delete Post 
The add I saw was for a Mercer up in Yucca Valley.
Posts: 39 | From: San Bernardino County, CA | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters