The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Rick Orelli R.I.P.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rick Orelli R.I.P.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 2 posted October 02, 2009 11:19 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Rick passed away last night. He had heart trouble for many years, I don't remember exactly, but he had a quadruple bypass between 15 and 20 years ago and he told me it was like a new lease on life.

There was never a better contest hunter than Rick. He won more big contests out here than any man, alive or dead.

In State hunts, I never won; came in second more than a couple times, but Rick was a consistant winner. I could probably go back and look up the records, but it's safe to say, he won more California State Championships than anybody...I guess I already said that, didn't I?

What is interesting is that he is virtually unknown on the Internet. He lived in Via Verde, San Dimas and Nanc and I went there to visit him and Anggie and to show him some video. His TV was so old, it didn't have plugs in the back. He never got online, to my knowledge? He was from Pennsylvania, originally. Italian. Old school.

Danny Batistini, Leonard Bosinski and Rick Orelli graduated from the same high school, El Monte Union High School.

He really was one of the great ones.....that nobody ever heard of. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
onecoyote
Knows what it's all about
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted October 02, 2009 12:19 PM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,
Danny held Rick Orelli in high esteem. I always heard stories about him and how he was a fantastic predator caller who stayed out of the limelight. He did find the time when Danny was sick to send him a get well card. It sure brightened Danny's day.
Thank you all for your words of condolence and for your friendship with Danny.
Charlene

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Posts: 893 | From: Walker Lake Nevada. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Q-Wagoner
FREE TRIAL MEMBERSHIP
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted October 02, 2009 01:54 PM      Profile for Q-Wagoner           Edit/Delete Post 
I am really sorry to hear the news Leonard. It sounds like Ricks accomplishments may never again be equaled. I have great admiration and respect for the "Old School" predator hunters like Danny and Rick. As with most of the truly greats they chose to pursue there passion outside of the lime light and just enjoyed it fore what it was.

The character, honer and respect of the old school is severely lacking these days. I am sure it was a great pleasure to have competed against them as well as counted them as your friends.

I am truly sorry for the loss.

Q,

Posts: 617 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 02, 2009 03:17 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
What 'Q' said, over again.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheHuntedOne
Member # 623

Icon 1 posted October 02, 2009 04:50 PM      Profile for TheHuntedOne   Author's Homepage   Email TheHuntedOne         Edit/Delete Post 
I am sorry to hear of the loss of your friend Leonard. He sounds like a good man. May he rest in peace.

--------------------
The On Line Resource For Custom Call Makers

THO Game Calls

Posts: 266 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Randy Roede
"It's Roede, like in Yotie
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted October 02, 2009 05:51 PM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
Q, well said!!!

LB, all those memories made with good friends are some of the most valuable things we own!!

--------------------
The only person dumber than the village idiot is the person who argues with him!

Posts: 669 | From: Pierre SD | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 02, 2009 07:37 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
On a CSVCA State Hunt in the early 90's, Rick, Lyle Brookover and Rick Jr. killed 46 animals, 39 coyotes and 7 bobcats. My team had 22, which I thought was pretty good? With John Van Oort a couple years after that, they turned in 45, including a lion, and received a round of applause from everyone present. I think we had 18 that time? A couple years after that, they turned in 25 coyotes on a 24 hour hunt. We had about 5, Danny (one coyote) didn't make it back to check in, but I saw him on 395 half way home and told him, as we were driving, what won and who did it; he just shook his head. One early season hunt that I remember, we had three teams, an informal competition just to buy breakfast, etc. Him and Ricky, me and my son and Steve and Ginny Sundeen (his niece) Former State Champions themselves. Kinda funny, it was a three way tie, ten coyotes each. We all laughed. That was as close as I ever got to beating him. That's not actually true, I did beat him a couple times and considered that quite an accomplishment, and it was. But I'm going back to 1968 and those times were few and far between.

Wil Craig, Pete in Idaho, (a former CVCA member) Bruce Kennedy, Fred Cronk, Danny and now Rick. Friends all, good people.

Like Randy said, it's the memories that count, that have the most value.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted October 02, 2009 07:43 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
I didnt know Rick or Danny. Im sorry for your loss LB.

As was said before, Q said about all that can be said.

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted October 02, 2009 09:29 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry for your loss too Leonard, in both of your friends. Quinton said it all. I agree. It must be getting cold outside, I've seen him post twice already! [Wink]

I'd sure love to hear more of those stories Leonard! Your memories of these guys just are really great stories!

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 03, 2009 11:33 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I was reading the stuff that Danny contributed on another board, just yesterday. Somewhere in the narrative, he describes a weekend hunt. A good attempt, but it really doesn't do the experience justice. These hunts were so intense and so all consuming that words alone cannot convey what it was like. Superhuman and crazy are words that come to mind. How do you describe that? But, Rick would know, and Danny would know, but then again, they were there and they experienced it first hand, so it's real easy to 'splain it to them. I'm quite sure that 99% of the rest just don't get it.

Now, if you don't give it maximum effort, you have no hope of winning and even if you did, you probably need to improve on maximum effort. I had a simple formula for winning. 1.5 animals per hour. Not as easy as it sounds, but that's what it took.

All for a stupid trophy and the respect of your peers. Memories. Great, ain't they?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted October 03, 2009 12:19 PM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,
I hate to say it but if given the chance, Danny would do it all over again in a heartbeat.
Charlene

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Posts: 893 | From: Walker Lake Nevada. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
nd coyote killer
HUNTMASTER PRO STAFF
Member # 40

Icon 1 posted October 03, 2009 10:15 PM      Profile for nd coyote killer           Edit/Delete Post 
I believe O'Gorman has said it and countless others but the "true greats are never published or videoed"

I believe it sounds like this guy Rick is a testement to that statement!

Sorry for your loss Leonard. Sounds to me like the predator calling world lost someone.

Hope everything is going as well as possible Charlene

--------------------
"Sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim" - Bear Claw

Posts: 385 | From: On a hill | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2009 06:24 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
LB, Im positive I could never comprehend what you guys went through on one of those hunts. Memories are a great thing and sometimes it is kind hard when you try to share with someone and they let on like they know, but you know they have no clue. None.

Just be thankful that you lived those experiences and you got to hunt against the likes of Danny and Rick. Im sure they cherished the same memories that you do. Im sure, as Charlene said, they would do it all over again and have no regrets. Thats the big thing that I can see is live life to the fullest and have no regrets.

Hang in there buddy.

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters