The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » TRAPPER & predator caller

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: TRAPPER & predator caller
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted September 20, 2004 10:16 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I got my first issue the other day, now I know why trapper is in big letters. lol

I am sure, even though I cannot trap, I'll find a lot of useful information I can use while hunting.

Thanks again Bryan,

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
nd coyote killer
HUNTMASTER PRO STAFF
Member # 40

Icon 1 posted September 21, 2004 08:38 AM      Profile for nd coyote killer           Edit/Delete Post 
I do wish that there were a few more articles that talked about predator calling but the ones they do put in there are usually pretty good.

--------------------
"Sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim" - Bear Claw

Posts: 385 | From: On a hill | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted September 21, 2004 09:15 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm finding that the trapping articles contain useful information on animal behavior, fur preperation, and other things a student or expert would find helpful.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted September 21, 2004 11:17 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Guys, Be patient. Can't give too many details ('specially since I only know a few), but I've got it on good faith that we may see some further changes in that respect. Then again, we may not. I just have this feeling.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted September 21, 2004 11:20 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I got the same feeling [Smile] .

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted September 21, 2004 11:27 AM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,

I agree, there is a lot of behavioral information, the issue I got is the 2005 Yearbook, and the article on railway coyotes was particularly interesting.
This part of the country is laced with old right of ways, abondoned timber grades, and hiking/biking trials layed directly down as old railways were torn out.

I wish I understood more of the trapping terminology, though... it's mostly all greek to me.
Flat set, dirthole, cubby??? Pattern, lure, connibear? [Confused]

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
R.Shaw
Peanut Butter Man, da da da da DAH!
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted September 21, 2004 12:48 PM      Profile for R.Shaw           Edit/Delete Post 
I spoke with Paul at the NTA convention in Columbia MO. Could be there is a magazine in the works from the same publisher which is devoted entirely to predator calling. A trial issue will be on news stands and at book stores next month.
Those will be the only places you will be able to purchase the magazine. But if you live in the sticks like I do, Paul said a call to him would get one sent to you by mail. I saw the cover and the first issue has a story about lion hunting by Steve Craig. Paul did a telephone interview with Steve, and stated it was the best interview about predator calling he was ever involved with.

Krusty,
Dirt hole- hole in the ground at a slight angle. trap buried in front with lure or bait at the hole.

flat set- same as above without the hole

lure- an attractant used to get and hold the attention of animal. Most of the time it consists of glands from the target animal with a little skunk smell for good measure.

conibear- a trap which grips an animal around the neck or body. Generally the animal is dead when you get there. Invented by Frank Conibear from Canada hence the name.

Randy

[ September 21, 2004, 01:12 PM: Message edited by: R.Shaw ]

Posts: 545 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
WhiteMtnCur
Knows what it's all about
Member # 5

Icon 1 posted September 21, 2004 05:00 PM      Profile for WhiteMtnCur   Author's Homepage   Email WhiteMtnCur         Edit/Delete Post 
From the opposite end of the spectrum, back when the magazine used to be called, "The Trapper," it's sure changed a lot since predator calling has become popular in recent years.

But, as R. Shaw mentioned, I saw the big poster that Krause Publications had of the feature issue of their new magazine to be released this fall. I'll definitely by subscribing.

Hopefully with the split, The Trapper & Predator Caller can go back to being a trapper magazine, and the new rag can be dedicated to predator hunting.

Posts: 97 | From: Nevada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 5 posted September 22, 2004 05:40 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Randy,

Talking to Paul, did you get the impression or did he indicate that this would ever become more than an annual issue? He mentioned in the last couple of issues about it being the first annual(2004-2005).

Lance, Is this going to be a new article by you? Or is a repeat of the "Nirvana", Howls or the Q?

Dennis

[ September 22, 2004, 05:42 AM: Message edited by: Greenside ]

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted September 22, 2004 09:52 AM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I hope if they do split the magazine, we'll be given the choice which half we want to go with.

As much as I am enjoying reading a little bit about trapping, being as it's not legal to do here, I'd be missing out on the calling information a lot more.

This is a big part of why I was leary to buy myself a one year subscription, it's too easy for the product to change drastically in a year.
And my friends will tell you I live "day by day", if they ask me on Monday what my plans are for the coming weekend I tell them to "call me back on Thursday then maybe I'll know what I 'm going to do"... lol (it drives Bofire CRAZY!!!)

Either way I sure enjoyed reading the issue I have, cover to cover, in a day or so.
Send more, sooner, faster, gimme gimme gimme!!!... c'mon!?! [Big Grin]

I have an insatiable thirst for more information, send old issues!

Krusty  -

--------------------

Greenside
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted September 22, 2004 09:59 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty, If you go to WWW.krause.com and click on the Trapper and predator caller link, you will be able to register and login for access to some back issues>

Dennis

R.Shaw
Peanut Butter Man, da da da da DAH!
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted September 22, 2004 11:24 AM      Profile for R.Shaw           Edit/Delete Post 
Dennis,

Providing the trial issue was a success, it was my impression the new magazine would be offered twice a year. You could buy a subscription at that time. It is not offered that way now.

Randy

Posts: 545 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alaskan Yoter
Member # 169

Icon 1 posted September 22, 2004 11:31 AM      Profile for Alaskan Yoter           Edit/Delete Post 
To you connected fellas [Big Grin]

Did Paul say if these special issues will be offered to folks that already have subscriptions?

Thanks,
Todd

Posts: 235 | From: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted September 22, 2004 12:18 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Although this is the first issue, I'm under the impression that if things go well with it, we could see a quarterly run with it. Of course, this will depend upon subscriber support. As far as if it is available to subscribers as part of the standard T&PC subscription, Paul's column in the most recent issue of T&PC states that it's a newstand only issue but I'm sure there will be a convenenit way to pick up a copy via order directly from Krause.

Just to let some of you in on what it contains, it does have a new piece by none other than the Beastmaster, Gerry Blair, himself. Plus, it's chockful of new material by T&PC's most favored contributors.

Paul is also soliciting contact information from perdator hunting organizations around the country. Just like in T&PC, your organization can have contact and membership information published at no cost. E-mail him your information at waitp@krause.com.

Release date is November 1 and as soon as ordering information becomes available to me, I'll pass it along right here at HM.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted September 22, 2004 07:16 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh, isn't this the same thing that they've done a half a dozen times over the last fifteen years?

They make one predator calling magazine, usually about the first of the year, and then you don't hear anything else about it for 2-3 more years.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted September 23, 2004 04:34 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,

I don't recall them doing this before. They may have, but I've never seen it.

Dennis,

Sorry to miss your question earlier, but this is all new material. Thanks for asking.

Lance

--------------------

Curt2u
Member # 74

Icon 1 posted September 25, 2004 08:16 AM      Profile for Curt2u   Email Curt2u         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, they have done it at least 2 or 3 times before. I still have the issues somewhere. They were a good read and not a bunch ads like PX was. Hope they do it again.
Posts: 236 | From: NW | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted September 25, 2004 12:16 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
An update:

I took the link Greenside provided (thanks Dennis) and went and got registered at Krause's site...

Apperantly there is some glitch in their site, and I cannot access the online issues (some people can, some can't).
I sign in, and click online issues, and it takes me back to an error page, that asks me to register or sign in.
I sign in, click on online issues, and back to the same error page. DAMN!
Took me a while before I realized I was going in a circle... trees are much easier to recognize. LOL

I finally called the 1-800 number.
I couldn't have been more happy with the results.
I got right through, to a very polite operator, who took down my information, and had a supervisor call me right back.

When I told her of my troubles, she tried to sign on as me (Krustyklimber who else?), and could not access the online issues herself. She was very apolgetic, and said she'd ship my issue right out to me.
I told her I had recieved my yearbook issue, and explained I was really trying to access back issues, to read Lance's articles, mainly the one on misting (there has been one other article he wrote, that I had really wanted to see in the last few months, but I couldn't remember what it was).

She wrote down Lance's name, and said she would locate the back issues with his articles in them, and she'd send them right out on Monday!?!

AO-HeL could learn a thing or two about customer service from these folks, I sure got Bryan's money's worth out of this deal!

I would recommend the Magazine to my friends, on this situation alone. It's good to buy a product from a company that is there for it's customers (even on Saturday), especially a quality product!

Krusty  -

--------------------

Greenside
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted September 26, 2004 09:08 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty, went to the Trapper and Predator caller site a few minutes ago. Doesn't seem to be working that great, but was able to open most issues under the HTML format.When I highlighted the issue number and hit read, it would open the issue, but hide it behind a collect.com window. Took me awhile to figure that one out. All I had to do was minimize that window and I had access to the issue. The March 04- Q the coyote killer, January o4- Coyote Nirvana(misting)
Sept 04- Crowoman and Ronnie and about 12 others are still accessable.

Dennis

Off Topic, I wonder how a guy could get a print of the coyotes on the cover of the Jan 04 Nirvana issue. That's one cool picture!

[ September 26, 2004, 09:12 AM: Message edited by: Greenside ]

Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted September 26, 2004 11:05 AM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Dennis,

Q the Coyote Killer... that's the other one!  -

I'll try your "sidestep" trick, and see if I can access them. (*Nope, I can't even get past the "sign in" step now...)

Thanks (*anyways),

Krusty  -

[ September 26, 2004, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: Krustyklimber ]

--------------------

Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted September 26, 2004 01:11 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Dennis,

I agree with you on that cover pic. Absolutely awesome! I'm planning a double mount with two coyotes (shoulder mounts) along that line for an upcoming competition.

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters