The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Zepp video (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Zepp video
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2004 07:14 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
I see on All Predator Calls.com there is a new video by Mark Zepp, gonna have Dan Thompson and John-Henry among others. Every one's making vids nowdays [Smile]
I need to get Jays new one,heard its very good?

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2004 07:30 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Lone Howl,
I haven't seen Jay's video, but I do know Jay Nistetter. I am betting that his new video is well worth the money.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2004 07:38 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
I got Mark Zepp's video and watched it over the week-end. Absolutely first class. It is a one hundred percent professional production. One and one half hours long and the only thing on the video that I disagreed wqith was his statement that scent mist does not work. I also watched Bill Martz video. Another professionally produced video. A number of things I disagreed with. Mr. Zepp's video was 20 bucks and Mr. Martz's video was 30 bucks. Should have been reversed.
IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2004 08:04 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
scent mist? how does that work?

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31511 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2004 08:28 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
I can see I need to get a couple more videos now.

Leonard. Scent Mist is "critter-pee-in-a-bottle" that's squirted downwind towards your buddy. This is a sneaky ploy to make irritating friends ride in the truck bed instead of the cab.

Higgins. I am offended. There's a hint of "professionalism" in my video too. Haven't figured out exactly which part, but it's in there somewhere. I think it's the FBI Do Not Copy warning I stole off the internet.

Sure wish I caught film of the Jackrabbit running across Cronk's foot with a coyote in hot persuit. Would have been priceless.

[ August 09, 2004, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: Jay Nistetter ]

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2004 09:13 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Jay, please do not be offended.
You will always be the Speilberg of coyote callers to me.
I just flopped on my back and piddled in the air for you. A minor gesture but the least I could do.
I have already critiqued your ode to the Gods, your "Gone With The Wind" of predator videos and simply descended from your lofty heights to the realm of mere mortals to share my humble opinion of two very good videos with some other video fans on this board.
BTW, your FBI warning was definitely the best I have seen.

Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2004 09:19 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
Whew! Almost thought I had a coyote Spagetti Western going. Oh, Hanna!

[ August 09, 2004, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: Jay Nistetter ]

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted August 10, 2004 04:31 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Jay,
I still thank the good Lord that the jackrabbit of which you speak was not an alligator.

--------------------

R.Shaw
Peanut Butter Man, da da da da DAH!
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted August 10, 2004 05:00 AM      Profile for R.Shaw           Edit/Delete Post 
Rich H

I also purchased the Bill Martz video. With my limited knowledge of howling, I found it full of good information.

I respect your opinion. What parts did you not agree with?

Thanks
Randy

Posts: 545 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2004 11:05 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, now Rich, we all know for a fact that scent misting is a questionable tactic employed by those who suffer from cosmetic deformities and are of poor genetic upbringing. Of course, your comment about it being in Zepp's video only makes me wonder if the "misbred, hare-lipped idiot" remark wasn't more of a pre-emptive remark in allegiance to his new best friend, rather than a stand alone slam at Leonard and, God forbid, me. Then again, I'm over all that now.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bomba
Knows what it's all about
Member # 71

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2004 11:34 AM      Profile for Bomba           Edit/Delete Post 
Bomba curious to know who Misbred is.

Is she member of this group?

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2004 12:52 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
All kidding aside, with regard to "scent mist" and how it "doesn't work".

First, the question; "work"?
what do you expect?

I truly feel sorry for those that have no idea of the purpose, and the effectiveness of misting.

Rather than wasting everybody's time, I won't bother to explain it for the umpteenth time.

And, yes, I suspect that Jh must have had something to do with the subject being included in the video, although, I admit that I have not seen it, and accept Higgy's evaluation as accurate.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

RanUtah
Member # 18

Icon 2 posted August 11, 2004 02:23 PM      Profile for RanUtah   Email RanUtah         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope JH wasn't being video taped anytime during the summer, isn't that against his religion? [Eek!]
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2004 02:57 PM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
Bomba,
I think that miss bred is the sheep that was refered to in other posts on this board. But like you I am not sure.

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
bearmanric
Member # 223

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2004 05:50 PM      Profile for bearmanric   Email bearmanric         Edit/Delete Post 
It is a great video. lot's of coyote's. yes john henry was doing some spring time hunting with his dog's not sure if he shot any thing it seemed odd. he showed portion's of his new video.tonight I'm going to watch the new randy anderson video. lot's of new video's coming out soon.you guy's take care. Rick
Posts: 78 | From: Tenino Wash. | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2004 09:22 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
I'll definitely buy J-H's video. The clip of his dogs mixing it up with coyotes on the den was spectacular.
Randy, Bill's video was indeed full of good stuff. It was also chock FULL of controversy baiting Martzisms. That was an objective statement. I have no agenda, pro or con, with Mr. Martz, but when ANYONE states as fact on a video sold to the public that "coyotes are brain-dead, as a matter of fact some coyote hunters fall into the same catagory" he is inviting spirited debate.
Also by stating at the very beginning of the video that most of the published literature available to coyote hunters is written by
" self-proclaimed experts with no credibility and no formal training and companys whose only interest is to sell their products by any means possible" and then ending the video with a sales pitch that consists of a detailed description of the WT and a side by side comparison with the foxpro, Bill did little for his credibility.
What was that lameness about "Higgins remove that thing from my speaker." Tyler saw that and asked what I did to piss this guy off. I told him it was not directed at us, it was just a Martz quirk. If you want to talk about the dozen other examples, we will have to start a thread just for this video. There really are a few gems that have been debated extensively in the past that Mr. Martz cites as fact. It would make an interesting thread.

bearmanric
Member # 223

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2004 09:55 PM      Profile for bearmanric   Email bearmanric         Edit/Delete Post 
coyote's are far from brain dead. the dog's are interesting. I have the coyote challenge it's pretty neat the coyote behavour. Rick
Posts: 78 | From: Tenino Wash. | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bill Martz
Member # 378

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2004 10:18 PM      Profile for Bill Martz   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Martz         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr Higgins
"coyotes are brain-dead, as a matter of fact some coyote hunters fall into the same catagory". Rich, if a coyote or any other animal could structure logic (think), you would never see one. Example: If a coyote could think, the first thing it would do before aproaching a prey distress or coyote vocalization etc, would be be to formulate a plan or strategy to investigate the sound in question. This is exactly what you or any other thinking human would do. In the case of a canine, which by the way can smell in excess of parts per trillion, the first thought would be "I smell in excess of parts per trillion so all I have to do to be on the safe side is travel about a half mile downwind of the sound source at which time I would be capable of smelling everything at that sound source. And if there were any hunters at that location they could never see me which means they wouldn't be able to shoot at me." As you should know Mr. Higgins, coyotes don't operate this way because they don't have the capability to structure logic (think). I would be interested to know what your thoughts are regarding the subject of smart dogs. By the way, the Mr. Higgins in our coyote dvd is not related to you.

Bill Martz

--------------------
Bill Martz
www.wildlifetech.com

Posts: 96 | From: NH | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2004 10:38 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Gulp!

Welcome to the New Huntmasters, Mr. Bill Martz! Glad to have you on board.

In that above (explained) context, I think you have made your point. Coyotes cannot reason as defined by the scientific community, but that doesn't mean that they are not smart, and it doesn't mean they cannot learn.

Good hunting. LB (the knucklehead, remember?)

PS a lot of the "self proclaimed" experts are probably just slack jawed predator hunters. No sense in believing what they have to say, right?

[ August 11, 2004, 10:40 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

brent Saxton
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted August 12, 2004 12:20 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
I believe coyotes can think! And they do think! Other wise they would just come running to every destress sound made and they would be wiped out by now. What makes one go down wind of your calling stand? It has to think to be able to put two and two togeather and go down wind to see if there noise will tell them what there ears are hearing! Not every coyote come charging into a sound head on, well not here at least.

Plus, I hunt alot of areas that get hunted all the time. These coyotes learn that if they go running into every sound that someone is shoting at them! And it dont take long before they get call shy. They may still check out the sound but you dont know they have even been there. If there smell and sight, and ears dont all get the same responce they just go on there way.

Dont get me wrong they do some strange things sometimes But as for them not learning or being smart, I dont think so!

Kee

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted August 12, 2004 07:36 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Good morning, Bill. Welcome. We have discussed the subject of smart dogs several times in the past and have arrived at the same conclusion that the Air Force did at the end of their two year "Super Dog" study. They determined that they could not know with certainty to what degree their "super dogs" think or to what degree their thought processes influenced their actions. I have seen charts that rank the relative intelligence of different breeds of domestic dogs. That alone would indicate the dogs ability to think. There is a long stretch between "brain-dead" and the ability to "structure logic" and I believe the coyote falls in place somewhere well along that stretch. Trappers that have to contend with coyotes that delight in digging up their traps and tripping them also agree. We will not solve that puzzle here.
Your assertion that we would never see a coyote if they could think is flawed. If your reasoning was correct there would never be traffic accidents. People don't pay attention when entering intersections, they drive recklessly and take unneccessary chances. Thinking coyotes behave the same way.
Your statement that "coyotes (dogs)don't know what a gun...is and never will" is also incorrect. Ranchers have told me that coyotes approach their operations when they are feeding their cattle and then disappear when they go to the truck and produce a gun. I have seen variations of this as have many on this board. Coyotes learn to identify a gun and it's danger to them. Sporting dogs know exactly what a gun is and it's purpose. Take a gun out of the cabinet and watch a bird dogs reaction. Carry a gun out to the truck and see the hounds come out from under the porch.
Good to have you here, Bill. You make people think.

Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 5 posted August 12, 2004 08:46 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Excuse my ignorance, could someone give me the scoop on Mark Zepp?
Thanks

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 12, 2004 10:46 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you, Dennis. Zepp may be well known, to some, but I have to admit; I've never heard of him.

Regardless of that, if he has made a quality predator hunting video, my hat is off to him.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

R.Shaw
Peanut Butter Man, da da da da DAH!
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted August 12, 2004 02:09 PM      Profile for R.Shaw           Edit/Delete Post 
Rich H.

Thank you for replying.

Just for the record. My dogs get excited and want to go hunting whether I walk out on the back porch with a rifle or a broom.

And I would bet the coyotes would disappear just as quickly from the rancher if he pulled out a shovel instead of a rifle.

Randy

Posts: 545 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted August 12, 2004 02:21 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
R.Shaw,
Your point is well taken. The coyotes in my area (Western Iowa) get shot at a lot from public roads. If I see a coyote out mousing in a field a couple of hundred yards from the road, he don't pay me much attention if I just drive on by without changing the speed of my travel. If I slow down quickly, the coyote usually takes off for home and Mother. I would call that a learned behaviour on the part of said coyote.

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters