The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Cowards

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cowards
Terry Hunter
Knows what it's all about
Member # 58

Icon 1 posted August 17, 2003 03:03 PM      Profile for Terry Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday morning I checked one of my treestands for safety.The stand is on a creek woods on one side and corn on the other side.After climbing in the stand I watched a coon cross the creek.There was movement south of the coon it was a bobcat.Then I heard a noise behind me it was a coyote.

All three animals were in about 25 yards of each other.The coon jumped in the creek.The coyote and the cat looked at each other for about 4 to 5 seconds then the cat made a run for the woods.

The coyote continued along his way.I was looking forward to a fight.If only I had carried the camcorder.

Posts: 132 | From: N. Middle Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 17, 2003 05:03 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting story, Terry.

Although I have killed coyotes and bobcats on the same stand, I have not seen them interact. However, what you say is consistant with every account I have read, the cat splits, or climbs a tree. I have wondered what would happen if they both got locked in a room?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Steve Craig
Lacks Opposable Thumbs/what's up with that?
Member # 12

Icon 1 posted August 18, 2003 06:12 AM      Profile for Steve Craig           Edit/Delete Post 
One coyote, one BIG tom cat in a room, equals dead coyote. A Tom bobcat can hold his own, one on one with a coyote,Two coyotes, one cat, equals dead cat. The two are bitter enemies. Cats will kill EVERY coon they come across as well. These two are also bitter enemies. Bobcats will also kill every grey fox they can catch too. Had many a grey in a trap torn to shreds by a bobcat. Have found where bobs have killed greys, several times.
FWIW
Steve

--------------------
Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction. - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 442 | From: Cottonwood,Az, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
WhiteMtnCur
Member # 5

Icon 1 posted August 18, 2003 07:16 AM      Profile for WhiteMtnCur   Author's Homepage   Email WhiteMtnCur         Edit/Delete Post 
A bobcat in a staked trap will not be killed. I've had coyotes harass bobcats in traps and the cat will still be there. I once had two coyotes tag team a bobcat in a trap (very evident in the snow), and the cat wasn't worse for wear.

Put that same bobcat on a dragged trap and the cat will most likely die every time. They try to run, and that's what a coyote wants.

In my opinion, if an animal stands its ground to a coyote, the coyote probably won't kill it. Whether it's because they don't like facing an animal that's defiant, or they don't 'know how' because they're accustomed to everything running, I don't know.

I understand how the above statement may really contradict a lot that's been said about coyotes, but that's what I've seen through experience and observation of coyotes.

Like Steve Craig said, bobcats will kill every coon they possibly can.

I have had one coyote killed in a trap by a bobcat. I didn't know a bobcat would actually go out of their way to do that, but that cat sure did a good job of it.

Posts: 97 | From: Nevada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 18, 2003 04:40 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard exactly what Steve said: a pair of coyotes unnerves a bobcat, and they eventually wear him down, get him from behind. I also heard the cat will fake an impressive charge at one, and then tear into the other.

Still, on equal terms, in a fight to the death, my money is on the cat, unless it's a youngster.

You kinda, sorta, see cats and grays in the same areas. Grays are advancing into areas of Nevada where we never saw them thirty years ago. Cats are still there, so I don't know why that would be? But, hopping from rock to rock, I should think a gray could keep well away from a bobcat, unless he was ambushed.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted August 18, 2003 04:53 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Howard Hill made a matinee short back in the forties about a Rocky Mountain bowhunt. A lot of his films were staged and some were pretty hokey but they were made for kids. This one had a bobcat as the villain threatening a denful of pups. The mother coyote which was about the same size as the bobcat lit into the cat and it made for an impressive minute or so as they hit the ground spinning and tumbling, locked up. When they seperated Howard saved the day by slamming a steel blunt behind the cats shoulder, equal penetration, both sides. I was really impressed with the coyotes performance. Down and dirty, rolling around like a cat.
IP: Logged
varmint101
Member # 41

Icon 1 posted August 18, 2003 11:29 PM      Profile for varmint101   Email varmint101         Edit/Delete Post 
That's pretty cool stuff! It's a shame I've never seen a wild bobcat in my life. One of these days like everything else.... Regards,

Matt

--------------------
"From my cold dead hands."

Posts: 60 | From: Seymour, IN | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters