The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Bullsnakes...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bullsnakes...
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2003 10:24 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been trying like the dickens to find a pet bull-snake. I've driven dirt roads for hours looking and I try looking around ponds and such but only seem to find garter snakes.

Any suggestions?

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stretch
Knows what it's all about
Member # 91

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2003 10:52 PM      Profile for Stretch   Email Stretch         Edit/Delete Post 
Try to find someone with a barn and see if they will let you mill around in there for a while... You may get lucky... [Big Grin]

--------------------
If practice makes perfect,
and no one is perfect,
then why practice?

Posts: 22 | From: Dallas, TX. US | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alaskan Yoter
Member # 169

Icon 1 posted August 13, 2003 07:51 PM      Profile for Alaskan Yoter           Edit/Delete Post 
LC,

I used to collect snakes for less then nothing else to do, and I the two places I found them the most were...

Under old railroad ties on the side of the tracks, and sunning on rocks on, near or round a pond.

The ones where I grew up in Indiana would shake their tails kind of like a rattle snake. Maybe to fool me. Never worked. [Eek!]

Had one get loose in the house for about five days before we found him again. Just me and dad new. We didn't dare tell mom.
[Big Grin]
Todd

[ August 13, 2003, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: Alaskan Yoter ]

Posts: 235 | From: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
WhiteMtnCur
Member # 5

Icon 1 posted August 14, 2003 08:54 AM      Profile for WhiteMtnCur   Author's Homepage   Email WhiteMtnCur         Edit/Delete Post 
A captive bred specimen may be a better choice because they're already eating frozen rats/mice, less aggressive, etc.

Check this out:

http://www.gherp.com/gherp/pages/colubridstock.htm

Towards the bottom of the page there are a couple different bullsnakes. Captive bred, different color phases, etc.

New England Reptile Distributors also had a pretty extensive bloodline of bullsnakes for a while, I'm not sure if they still do. Their amelanistic/leucistic rat snakes were something else too.

Posts: 97 | From: Nevada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 14, 2003 09:10 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not that well versed on snakes, can't seem to recall what a bull snake looks like? Are they black? We see some black snakes down in the southern part of Arizona, I thought they were king snakes, but that's just a guess? Same thing with rattlers though. Certain times of the day and seasons, they appear in clusters, depending on the ambient temperature.

Around here, we have just about the prettiest snake you ever will see, the California mountain king snake; and the regular California king snake is a close second. They don't seem to do well in captivity, but if you take the time to figure out the diet, etc., you have quite an attractive snake.

Good luck with your quest, LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted August 14, 2003 12:16 PM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
What we call bullsnakes here look almost like a rattler but without the rattles of course. I could send you one, but it would be in chunks. I seem to go out of my way to kill every snake I can. I have had to many dogs and horses bit and too many close calls myself. I have no use for snakes of any kind.

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted August 14, 2003 04:03 PM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, a Similar species to the Bullsnake is called a ( Pituophis melanoleucus ) the common Gopher Snake and yes they do look like a Rattlesnake to someone who wouldn't know. [Frown]

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Posts: 893 | From: Walker Lake Nevada. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curt2u
Member # 74

Icon 7 posted August 15, 2003 08:18 AM      Profile for Curt2u   Email Curt2u         Edit/Delete Post 
Our Bullsnakes look just like Cal describes. Similar to a timber rattler without rattles and shakes it's tail in the leaves to sound like one. They like to hiss loudly when you mess with them too. Most of the ones I see are incidental encounters. Might be walking down a logging road or out in a wheat field. Most have been in the yard!

My friends wife had one curled up by their mailbox the other day. She had her friend come over and guide her while she took her husbands truck and ran the snake over about 8 times. Now that's snake fear! LOL!

I've had Boas, Burmese Pythons, Ball Pythons, CA King snakes, Salt and Pepper King snakes, and even a rattler but one of the best I had was a Bull snake I caught in our barn. About 4 ft and had a bad attitude. After handling it for about a week with gloves on the thing was gentle as a lamb. Would eat feeder mice no prob. Kids could handle it.

Had a King snake back when I did construction years ago before I got hitched. Lived in motel rooms and moved this snake with me from motel to motel. Didn't get the lid on tight once and it got loose. Found it wrapped up in the bed springs and it wouldn't let loose for anything. Had to cut 3 springs to get it out. Didn't tell the motel guy that of course. LOL!

Can't really say where to find one Loco. They just seem to be where they are. [Big Grin]

Take care, Curt

Posts: 236 | From: NW | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2003 08:40 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
For our 10th anniversary, my wife just bought me a gorgeous Mexican Black Kingsnake. It is a super gentle 3 1/2 foot critter. It is solid Black, Is a kingsnake, and They just very well might be the critter harrassing Leonardo!!

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters