The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Who else sucks at fishing?????

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who else sucks at fishing?????
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2003 09:06 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I really don't suck that bad. I've been fishing forever, ever since I was about 5 or so. Anyway, one day a couple of summers ago, I went trolling with my dad. His fishing whooper had gold spoons on it and mine had silver. After he got 8 trout and none for me, we traded the gold spoons for the silver ones. You may have already guessed it...He caught 8 more and none for me. Haa Haa LOL For real for real. Obviously, I'll never live that one down!!!!

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2003 09:21 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
I love fishing. I used to fish bass tournoments and thats what I lived for when I was younger but I have had crappy luck for the past 7 years or so really.
I even have bad luck with bait. Me and my best friend went down to lake Castaic in SoCal a few years ago.We did some bass fishing then spent the night catfishing on shore. Man we caught 20 30 pounders all night. My buds pole even got ripped out of his and actually made a small wake going thru the water! All this on waterdogs for bait. That was the last good luck I had.
I told some friends about it and we drove all the way down to Castaic one day just to buy a crapload of waterdogs(only place that had em at the time)We bought dozens and dozens.I kept em at my house in a tank cause we were going back down fishing that weekend.
Well. I come out one morning and almost all of them are gone!Sh--! We paid a pretty penny for those things!
I caught something out of the corner of my eye and lo and behold they were all walking around all over the place!
They had matured and sprouted legs.I never even considered that when we bought em.
We had a waterdog roundup that morning.

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jack Roberts
Knows what it's all about
Member # 13

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2003 09:25 PM      Profile for Jack Roberts   Email Jack Roberts         Edit/Delete Post 
I was always pretty good at fishing but have quit because I can not stand to smell fish on my hands for the next 3-4 days. I tried the washing in vinegar, chlorax, lemon juice, rocket fuel, etc. None helped, even a little.

Jack

Posts: 499 | From: Elko NV formerly MD | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Barry
Member # 34

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2003 09:30 PM      Profile for Barry   Email Barry         Edit/Delete Post 
Come on Jack,Dont tell me you didnt date in high school. [Big Grin]
Posts: 133 | From: Trinidad CO. | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2003 09:37 PM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
Lone Howl, ever hear of Bob Crupi, he likes to fish that lake too lol.

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Posts: 893 | From: Walker Lake Nevada. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2003 09:57 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Geez, yeah. Two bass over 21 pounds to his credit, thats ok I guess. [Eek!]

[ August 07, 2003, 09:59 PM: Message edited by: Lone Howl ]

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2003 06:02 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Barry Barry [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2003 07:03 AM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
I am quite possibly the shittiest fisherman ever. I don't even like to fish. I have to hire someone to take my kids fishing just so they can catch something. If I want to set in the hot sun and get bit by bugs while I drink beer I will do it on my deck. No water needed.

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2003 07:21 AM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Jack, Wash your hands with plain table salt. No more fish smell.

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alaskan Yoter
Member # 169

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2003 11:36 AM      Profile for Alaskan Yoter           Edit/Delete Post 
I my brother and father came up from Indiana this July so I made arrangements with the a buddy of mine to take us King Salmon fishing on the Kenia River.

The first day we were up by 4:00am and on the water at 5:00am. By 6:00am my little brother boated 35 pounder. Not bad for a beginner on his first day. Well the remaining three of us fished all day until 5:30pm and never even got a take down. SCHUCKS!!!! He rubbed it in all night to boot.

The second day same routine, were on the river by 5:20am. At about 7:00am you guessed little brother had a nice take down and it was running the line. Before this point I think Blue Gill was the extent of his big game fishing. He held that pole every way it could be held as he was getting fish fighting orders from myself and my buddy, but mostly my buddy as he was piloting the boat. He fought the fish for about 10 minutes (An eternity to him) and due to an outstanding job to the pilot we got that fish in the boat. Again the rest of us fished the day with out a take down. But is was exciting see my little brother come to Alaska and in two days catch two Kings off the Kenia River(Two is your limit for the year off this river).

All day long we asked him if he was going to get the fish mounted and he said he wasn’t sure. But, what we didn’t know was he was thinking to himself that if it was over 50 pounds he was having it mounted to hang back on his wall in Indiana.

Well we got it in and it was no world record, but for him it was. It was 48 inches long and weighed in at 52 pounds. So needless to say the replica is being made and out of four guys on the river for a total 19.5 hours he caught a total of 87 pounds of salmon and the rest of us set back and enjoyed watching him do it.

Todd

-

[ August 08, 2003, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: Alaskan Yoter ]

Posts: 235 | From: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curt2u
Member # 74

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2003 12:05 PM      Profile for Curt2u   Email Curt2u         Edit/Delete Post 
I never knew I could suck so bad at fishing till recently. I used to wet-fly fish a lot in Col. and did pretty good. My kids recently have shown interest so I bought a license for the first time in years. Broke out my fly's and took them to a trout pond. They were using the ol' standby bobber and eggs. We all got skunked.

The next weekend I took them fishing at a different spot. We were hoping for bass or trout. Nothing. Talked to a friend who said Rooster Tails worked for him the day before at the same spot. I bought some Rooster Tails and put them on the kids and my own fishing pole. There was about 10 people fishing around us. Nobody was catching a thing. A little boy came trotting down the dock with his pole. Said it was his first time fishing. There was no room for him at the end of the dock where everyone else was. He put on a worm and just dropped it over the side where he stood and let it sink to the bottom. After about a minute he excitedly says "I got one! I got one!" And proceeds to catch 3 more bass in about 10 minutes. My kids are looking at me like I'm the biggest loser ever.

Next day got some worms, and being a weekday nobody was fishing. Took the kids to the same place on the dock where the little kid caught bass. We all put worms on and let them sink to the bottom and started reeling them in. I still suck at fishing but at least my kids don't think a stinky coyote is the only thing I can reel in I guess. LOL!

Posts: 236 | From: NW | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 14 posted August 08, 2003 12:09 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate fishing too, but what an impressive picture and story!

Mrs. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31474 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
John/Alaska
Member # 25

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2003 01:10 PM      Profile for John/Alaska   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I like to fish and usually do okay. Just don't have enough time to with everything else that I have going on. Usually get out for some grayling, trout, and my favorite - dolly varden. My SIL and me took my then 5 year old grandson grayling fishing. He caught 7, me 2 and his dad zip! At that age he could work his own pole both casting & reeling no problem.

I only fish for salmon using the wheel. I'm not a pole person for salmon. Last year we took over 150 in an 8 hour period before the wheel shut down due to too being overloaded. That was after 120 the day before! We keep the reds and usually throw back the kings. In June this year while I was down working on the fish camp we took 94 in a 12 hour period of which 5 were kings. 4 were between 30-40 pounds the other one smaller. While unloading I came within 15 seconds of possibly getting seriously clonked by about a 50 pounder. Ended up only getting wet as he flipped out of the basket. Man but they are strong and I was happy that we didn't have to deal with him! We really only want to get around 10 or so salmon/day. Lots of filleting work when they come in in big runs!

Posts: 62 | From: Tok Alaska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2003 03:39 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Where did this Mrs. LB come from? She should get her own password, just like everybody else. So now she hates fishing? Never fished, that I recall, since the kids were little? One time, I took her with me to Mexico, and the action got so heavy that she got pressed into service. I think she boated 3 or 4 twenty-five pound dorado in thirty minutes. And she claims that she hates fishing? She looked like she was having a good time? What a shame. I don't think she will go again.

Good fishing. LB

PS oh yeah, I'm a passable fisherman, not particularly lucky.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Bofire
READ MY LIPS!
Member # 221

Icon 6 posted August 09, 2003 07:41 AM      Profile for Bofire   Author's Homepage   Email Bofire         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys a babes in the woods, I am not only the worlds worst fisherman, when I show up No one on the river gets a bite!! I can use the same things, fish the same spots, have a good fisherman cast my line, nuthin works. I did shoot the barrel out of an M-1 Garand on carp once.
Carl

Posts: 322 | From: Wild West | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2003 07:46 AM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Fish smell never bothered me, its those stinky DANG FIREBALLS!!!!!!

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted August 12, 2003 12:06 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I am starting to see a trend I don't much like! [Big Grin]

I can catch fish like nobody's business...

I can fish with a buddy watching them get nothing, while I catch and release many fish...
We can switch rods and/or lures and I continue to catch fish unabated...

I once unknowingly broke the hook of of a bass lure, and continued bringing bass right to the edge of the boat, and even managed to get a grip on a couple of them as they just held onto the lure for all they were worth.

This is not a promising sign for me as a predator hunter though, and may be part of the answer to why no coyotes seem to come to my stands.

I wonder how big of rod, reel and line it would take to pull a coyote out of the woods?
I'm thinkin' halibut rod with Spider Wire! [Wink]

Will take kids and catch 'em some fish, for coyote hunting!

Jeff  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
WhiteMtnCur
Member # 5

Icon 1 posted August 12, 2003 04:27 PM      Profile for WhiteMtnCur   Author's Homepage   Email WhiteMtnCur         Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't catch a fish to save my life.
Posts: 97 | From: Nevada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 12, 2003 04:55 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
"Where did this Mrs. LB come from? She should get her own password, just like everybody else."

I write the checks so that gives me an advantage for access.

Yep, I have a wonderful time but wives be advised to wear armour while fishing on a ponga in MX.

Mrs. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 12, 2003 07:04 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I think she believes that the boat captain tried to cop a feel, while she was fighting those lunkers. Maybe he was just trying to help? I dunno, I was busy, at the time?

She got him in the huevos, so I'd call it a draw. A long time ago.

Now, get over it, dear.

Good fishing (too) LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters