The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Cat forum   » First time for everything

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: First time for everything
furhvstr
Knows what it's all about
Member # 1389

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2012 08:24 AM      Profile for furhvstr   Email furhvstr         Edit/Delete Post 
Just thought I might share something that happened to me the other night. I have shot a few cats at night but never called in two toms traveling together- especially this time of year when their thoughts are turning to chicks and fighting over them.

I was calling (night time) and two sets of eyes showed up on the ridge side by side about 220 yds. They hung around but wouldn't come much closer. After a few minutes they disappeared behind some boulders and wouldn't show themselves again. I had to come back through a couple of hours later after checking the rest of my trapline so I figured I would look some more then. If they were cats (and I thought that they might be a mated pair) they would likely still be around and many times they will come in after you have left.

So, about an hour and a half later I came back through and sure enough there they were about half way down the mountain side by side. Both fell to 150 yd shots from the Mach IV and it wasn't until the next morning when I saw that they were both Toms.

No, I don't think that they were brothers as one was a full year older and very different color than they other.

I was just wondering if anyone else has ever called two toms together?

I catch two and three toms in the same cage on consecutive nights every once in awhile. The studies I have read about home ranges and bobcat movement only prove that they need to do more studies.

ML

[ February 01, 2012, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: furhvstr ]

Posts: 144 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2012 08:34 AM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a buddy kill 2 toms on one daytime stand about 6 years ago, but he said they came from differant directions.

Most of the time when I have seen 2 running together it has been a sow and 3/4 grown kitten.

Stay after them
Kelly

Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2012 10:11 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Not bobcat's, but I've called in two tom lynx. Just like Kelly said, a sow and 3/4 grown kitten. Never seen that before this season and was a bit shocked. Interesting post.
Posts: 857 | From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2012 10:29 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, can't say I ever came across two Toms, together? I saw a situation once where the odds favored two of the five being males, but in that particular case, only harvested one and don't even remember the sex, or if I checked?

How is your season developing, Mercer?

Good hunting. LB

edit: I have one head mount up in my den. It is the largest bobcat I ever shot @almost 30 pounds. A rather well known taxidermist in San Gabriel did the work, (DeJon) and he told me he used a lion form thingy because of the size.

[ February 01, 2012, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31542 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
furhvstr
Member # 1389

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2012 12:39 PM      Profile for furhvstr   Email furhvstr         Edit/Delete Post 
Season went well LB. My biggest year to date.

Requested time off without pay from work so I made the best of it. Trapped hard most of the season.

I will post some pics when I get caught up.

All over now but the put-up.

Take care, ML

Posts: 144 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2012 12:58 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Biggest year? That's saying a lot! Can't wait to hear all about it.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31542 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters