The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Cat forum   » Too many friends sometimes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Too many friends sometimes
furhvstr
Knows what it's all about
Member # 1389

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2010 08:33 AM      Profile for furhvstr   Email furhvstr         Edit/Delete Post 
Had a friend up on the trap line with me. He was a big help for a couple of days- running video, checking traps and pulling the line. Good guy to have in the truck - easy to get along with.
Part of the deal was that we would try and call him up a nice cat to mount. spent half of the first night running hard and got smaller Tom. The second night the wind was blowing trees over so we stayed in the rack and went out at 2AM once things settled a bit.
By 6 am we had run across just a coyote and it wasn't looking good as we were checking out that day. The sun was starting to glow to the east when we pulled in a set of eyes down in the flats on our way up to our last hope canyon.
Eventually a coyote showed from the direction of the initial sighting. We fooled around with the un-cooperative dog for a minute or two until he left but before leaving I scanned around once more accompanied by a little lip squeaking and found the original set of eyes in the same place we had first seen them.
I told my buddy that we need to go check it out. It was acting pretty catty and down here in the flats that if it was a cat it would defiantly be the one he ws looking for.
We grabbed a couple of flashlights and walked for a 100 yards or so.
We set up and I hand called a bit calling him in a bit closer before hanging up at around 150 or so. I could see him just fine from my knees but too flat for my buddy to see in the prone position with a low bipod.
We had to find a higher point to shoot from so keeping the light above the cats head we walked backwards around 25 yards to the only high spot we could find, a big flat rock around two feet tall.
My buddy was able to get on him from there and confirmed what I was sure of by this point that it was a cat. The gun went off so quick that I figured he had lit it on accident not being accustomed to the 12 oz triggers on my night guns.
When the "thud" reported back to my ears I new he had made a solid shot.
The sun was peeking over by the time we got back on the road with our last minute cat in the back. The best cat of my two week trapping/hunting break from work. Easily a $4-$600 cat or maybe more depending on what the market does this year. Dorsal skinned it for a mount instead of a stretcher. Too many friends sometimes.

ML

-

Posts: 144 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2010 09:51 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I was curious as to where this post was going, as I was reading, considering the title? Nice cat. Did you weigh it? Cats in the flats is always interesting, and surprising and unexpected...but why?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31461 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Q-Wagoner
FREE TRIAL MEMBERSHIP
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2010 05:14 PM      Profile for Q-Wagoner           Edit/Delete Post 
Four to six hundred dollars out of pocket and a fully guided hunt! It is a tuff one to swallow but ya knew what you signed up for. LOL

Cats in the flats is really common in most of the country we hunt in Texas. The thicker it is the more cats there are.

Good hunting.

Q,

Posts: 617 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2010 07:00 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I know that, Q. But, out here, nine out of ten cats will be in the mountains. On the side of a hill. Maybe more? And, when we mean flats, they are only a short distance from where they really like to be, up hill.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31461 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters