The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Optics forum   » Scope opinions (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Scope opinions
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted September 12, 2014 03:58 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Steiner is posta be releasing a new line of 'lite' tactical scopes that I'm real curious about. Price point looks right, and Steiner has come a long way in the last few years in catching up with the competition...

Brent, you still rockin' a Premier?

The 3-15x50 'Hunter' model I put on the .22-243AI kinda shit the bed on me, last month. Didn't fail mechanically, just developed some oil specks in the inside of the ocular lens. Likely from a bit of grease residue being knocked off the inside of the main tube.

Anyhoo, contacted AT online, got an RMA authorization &sent it off to VA. Had it back inside of 2 weeks with a clean bill of health.
No harm, no foul...

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Brent Parker
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4354

Icon 1 posted September 12, 2014 04:06 AM      Profile for Brent Parker   Email Brent Parker         Edit/Delete Post 
Fred no I have switched over to a S&B PM II 3-20x50. The Premier had great glass and reticle but had turrets roll on me and it almost cost me a coyote. Schmidt has locking turrets. If I could have found a Premier Hunter model with the Gen II I would have gone that way.

I would like to save up for a swaro 2-12 for my lightweight rifle. Have a friend that owns one and they are nice. I just wish swaro would go back to making a ffp option.

Brent

Posts: 172 | From: 2 miles east of Vic | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 12, 2014 08:49 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, that's something I have to watch with my U.S. Optics. That very large erec elevation knob seems to rotate, either putting the rifle in the case or taking it out of the case. Something I am conscious of so I have a habit of checking that the hash mark is on zero. But, annoying. Also understandable, I guess? It's so damned big.

Also, my big 5X25 U.S. Optics was (apparently banged around in shipment, there was a chunk of something inside that broke loose. They fixed it and cleaned it and had it back to me before I could ask for an internal bubble, but the service caught me with my pants down.

I sent back a Redfield, many years ago that has some kind of graphite inside, as soon as I got it back I traded for a Leupold, the first of many. I sold a Leupold to my cousin, a long time ago and I don't know what he did, but he brought it back much later with what seemed to be a bubble inside? He wanted ME to send it in which I did, but told him it was unnecessary. I have sent a total of two scopes to Leupold and they seem to have a great customer service. Now, my 3X12X56 Kahles, if I ever have a problem, I think it has to go back to the factory, near as I can tell by the literature with the scope? Still, has (to my eye) the best optics of any scope I have ever looked through.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: a few years ago, I was fishing down in Cabo, and the guy in the next cabin was an Austrian. One day, I mentioned Swarovski and believe it or not, he said he had never heard of it? He was an engineer and knew every other optics mfg. but not that one! I was baffled.

edit: it might be just a name recognition. For instance, the shoe mfg. PUMA is called Slezenger, or something like that? in Europe.

[ September 12, 2014, 08:56 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31509 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted September 12, 2014 09:29 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Brent.
I've accidentally spun turrets, too. More the windage turret than the elevation. Kinda started making it a habit to check 'em & confirm where both are at, when the gun goes on the stix...

Leonard, you're in luck!
Kahles has come along way with their tactical line of scopes, and has a CS contact in Idaho, USA

Customer Service / Warranty Repair
E-Mail: info@hpsoptic.com
Phone: #208-476-0600 or Toll Free 1-866-606-8779
Fax: #208-476-0602

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 12, 2014 12:45 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Fred, this (Kahles) scope came with detailed instructions for soldering the scope to the rings. Involves a lot more disassembly than I would ever do. I suppose it's intended for a gunsmith, although you seldom ever hear of this, this side of the pond.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted September 12, 2014 03:23 PM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
Real good advice above.
If you know your rifle, your load and have time, Dialing is more precise.
Here’s a clip of one shot off sticks and scoped dial after the range was taken. 204AI with a 50gr bullets drops a bit at a ¼ mile.
Most shots are alt closer but these didn’t want to work the dogs a few weeks ago.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=w6VLRJNjoE0

Good luck with your choice.

Stay after them
Kelly

Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 12, 2014 03:57 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Kelly, very interesting video. Thank you.

A couple observations. First, how many coyotes did you see, looked like at least three, to me?

Second, is that your normal set up? lawn chairs and no camo? My feeling, right off the bat was they saw you? That's why they seemed to get wise and turn around. It could be they saw the dogs, but is it rare when they turn tail at the sight of dogs? When I have seen dogs and coyotes, it's more common the dogs leave, (when coming to a call) than the coyotes.

I know this is more questions than you usually respond to, on a mobile, so whatever you can do to satisfy my curiosity is much appreciated.

And, thanks for sharing!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kelly Jackson
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted September 12, 2014 04:12 PM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
LB – there were 2 coyotes that came on camera. The dogs were working one that came in behind us in a thicket at that same time. Yes they got too close and saw us, but this stand was about showing that black pup I call Cookie some coyotes. They only learn so much from dead ones so we dinked with these for almost ½ hour before the shot was took.

Oh did you catch that coyote working a grasshopper when it was following that brindle dog in?

Yep lawn chairs and no camo pretty much all the time unless its cold and I’m wearing a jacket.
Here’s a clip from last Saturday that shows pretty good dog work and a shot at more acceptable range.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0gKHuhMxL8&sns=fb

Stay after them
Kellly

edit to add Sugar the black dog in this clip is from Ryan and is a full brother to the male that bred the litter he is selling. Bet they would make a dog for somebody if you was looking for one.

[ September 12, 2014, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: Kelly Jackson ]

Kelly Jackson
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted September 12, 2014 04:39 PM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
Seen your other question....LB I lost count this summer on the number of coyotes that didn't want anything to do with the dogs.
Lots of reasons why.....

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2014 07:12 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, in the first video, about the 2:20 mark, there is a lot of movement at the extreme left. Could even be a whitetail? I looked at it three times and still can't be sure of what it is?

Pretty casual, one boy is waving his arm around in the second vid. Which, BTW looks a lot like parts of AZ.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

trapper2
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3651

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2014 08:30 AM      Profile for trapper2           Edit/Delete Post 
yep it was a white tail deer

--------------------
nothing is politically correct if its morally wrong

Posts: 248 | From: okla | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted September 16, 2014 04:18 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Cat Daddy, sure looks like them dogs are gettin' it figured out! Just teasing enough and peelin' off at the right times...

450 off stix ain't no joke, either...great shootin'!

Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted September 16, 2014 02:01 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, heck of a shot! Nice vids K.

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters