The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Optics forum   » Old rule of thumb? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Old rule of thumb?
CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2011 02:21 PM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
Well Hell!!! Reality is subjective to the individual.....right? I know I heard Lb say that, and I'm pretty sure Paul had a fortunes worth of glass on his machine gun. Oh well, thats what I'll swear to in court.

Maintain

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2011 02:31 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You worry me, Geordie! You must be working too hard, or something? You need to get out and kill something.

I just can't recall the incident ever taking place; right Paul? Koko, stay out of this!

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31468 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2011 02:36 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
I recall that incident too....just can't put a brand on the piece of glass? IOR....miopta?...some gawd damned odd ball optic?
Posts: 1629 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2011 02:46 PM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys crack me up.

Joe, you are NOT helping. LOL I’m sure the buyers remorse will pass when I get the product in hand. Thanks for the opinions all. Gives me more to consider next time.

Posts: 599 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2011 02:59 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's great, Mr Vic Simmons! Oddball optics, indeed!

These guys are UNBELIEVABLE! I should move this discussion to the UFO Forum. Err..What the hell is it called now? Right, the CONSOLIDATED PIN HEAD FORUM. That's where this mush belongs!

Good huntin. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2011 03:09 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Bryan J: If you ever need one of those cheap junky scopes give me a holler. I have abunch of them laying on the shelf. ( Tasco,Burris,Swift, Bushnell, Simmons and a few other brands) Non of which are even good enough to put on a 22 rifle. [Smile]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5070 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2011 03:12 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
What he said! ^

(can't believe I said that!)

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2011 03:35 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Geordie they say the memory is the second thing to go.
Oh well! it was U.S. OPTICS a fine scope indeed.
This place is the only fun I had all day.
hey heres a first only got up to 42 degrees here whats up with that?

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2011 03:52 PM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
Resounding endorsement......
Posts: 646 | From: Midwest | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2011 05:22 PM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
U.S. Optics!!!!!!.....thats what I said wasn't it?

On another note, I have spent the last two days trying to dig out from the blizzard. Finally got out this afternoon. I will post pics when my internet gets better. It has worked, but been very slow.

Maintain

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2011 05:51 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
There you go; Geordie jogged my memory too....yeah, US optics, I remember looking at it, lots of knobs and stuff.
If you have any of those cheapo Burris scopes laying around Leonard, shoot one my way.....I can up-grade:)

Posts: 1629 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2011 06:01 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it cold there Bryan? Must be the cold sluggishing up your dial up. LOL So damned cold here that I went out to grill burgers and smoke a cigar. Grill had trouble getting warm anough to cook beef and the cigar was so cold it kept going out. Now, THAT'S cold, I think the windchill here has been about -25-30 all day.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2011 07:24 PM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn cold Lance, but not as cold as other places. I think I will let the tap drip overnight though.

Thanks, TA. I have had experience with three of what you listed. (around 20 years ago) The Tasco and Bushnell would hit the pie plate at 100 consistently. The Buris was just not a good match for me, I was always struggling with the eye relief on it. It seemed dark but shot fairly well as I remember.

Things can change and that is why I asked. The little guy is going to be needing one in a few years, for him a Simmons may be perfect.

Posts: 599 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
JD
HONORARY OKIE .... and Tim's at fault!
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2011 08:01 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
I shoot most of my coyotes well under 100 yds, I could do that with iron sights. Not a thing wrong with expensive glass, just don`t NEED it. I do find the "snobbery" to be interesting though, I knew LB & Tim were starting a special club of some sort [Smile] Maybe an "Optic Snob forum" is in order.

--------------------
Jason
--------------------------------------

What do Obama & TA17Rem have in common........both are clueless asshats!!!

Posts: 1456 | From: NE. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2011 08:23 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not real crazy about Burris.

As I recall, it was Ronnie Robison that really liked them but I think he had a relative involved at Burris, something like that and quite understandable. I still own one Burris, it's a 6X24 for squirrels and such. Has no brightness ability in the optics whatsoever. I have never seen a scope with worse twilight capability, although it sorta looks like a Nightforce.

I think Leupold makes some decent scopes but I'm not thrilled with some of the stuff they make for the budget minded.

Good hunting. LB

edit: Me and Tim, JD? Yeah, we go way back, like you and Berry.

[ February 02, 2011, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2011 09:04 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Simmons? Surely you jest.

I had a simmons about 25 years ago and had to send it back 3 times but the third time I smashed the POS with a hammer and told em to keep it.

I was reminded of that the other day as I was at the range a guy was trying to get his scope (a simmons) sighted in. I finally offered to bore sight it for him as he wasn't even on paper and the elevation knob was just spinning without moving anything.

I use Leupold VXIII's and a couple of MK4's. SWFA has a pretty good clearence on MK4 scopes now, I bought a 4.5-14 and a 3.5-10 for around $750 each. They are clearer than my VXIII's.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2011 09:17 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I could see if a caller lived in a area with high population of coyotes he could get by with most anything for a scope knowing there will always be more coyotes to call to if the scope messes up a shot for them.. Some of us don't have those high numbers so we have to make each shot count and I'm not one to chance it on a 150.00 scope so I'll spend a little more money and get a good one...

Some of the features I don't like about some scopes is they don't have click adjustments, just turn it a little at a time till scope is zero, nothing there to keep it locked in place..
And on others they have a click adjustment but its not posative enough to keep the dial in place and when you fire the gun or have it rideing around in the truck the dial will move..
Sure most any brand of scopes can have a problem or have one develope and I have this happen more with the cheaper scopes. One scope the lens fogged up on the inside, on a Tasco the cross-hair fell out, another scope would'nt hold its zero and on some the parrelax got out of wack.. I've got six Leupolds and one super-sniper that get used and are still holding up and have out lasted the cheaper scopes that I have owned..

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5070 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted February 03, 2011 02:00 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I've used quite a few different brands of scopes over the years.Both cheap and not so cheap.I have really come to appreciate the better quality scopes on my calling/hunting rifles.Over the last couple years I've replaced all of my scopes with Swarovski and Zeiss optics.I've never regretted spending the extra cash.

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1615 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted February 03, 2011 05:04 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of cold.Just got back from a few days of calling in Northern Nevada,Damn that Desert can get cold especially with the wind.

Good Hunting Chad

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 03, 2011 06:23 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hope you left a few?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted February 03, 2011 07:25 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
It was actually a very successful trip for this time of year,especially with how much the wind blew.

But in answer to your question,yes we left a few for ya. [Wink]

Good Hunting Chad

DEL GUE
SECOND PLACE: Mad Bomber lookalike contest
Member # 1526

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2011 10:41 AM      Profile for DEL GUE   Email DEL GUE         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of cold, it's cold here, too. 57 degrees, with a 16 mph wind gusting to 25.

In the old days I used Weavers. Now most of what I have is Loopie Vari-X III's. I do have a couple of Nikon's and a new Redfield, and I'm prolly gonna get more Nikon's.

I never was excited about Tasco's and Bushnell's and such. I had a Burris once (may still have it) but didn't like it. When you changed power the whole rear eyepiece moved, which is a pain with a scope cap on it.

My philosophy is that a rifle is just the delivery vehicle. It has to be well-done to deliver consistently to the same point. But a scope is the guidance system. I wouldn't want a POS scope on my rifle any more than I'd want a $100 Magellan GPS on an ICBM. The scope has to be clear, sturdy, and the adjustments repeatable. And it should have a good guarantee in case it takes a dump, because a certain percentage of everything made (by anybody) is defective. It's funny, though, cuz my old Browning T-Bolt that I bought in the 70's is still wearing an old Marlin 4x32 scope with a crosshair and has always worked great.

I'm a fan of the new Nikon BDC, as it seems to work, and Nikon supports it nicely with their Spot-On programme on their website. The Nikons are reasonably priced and seem to work pretty well.

I do, however, believe that a scope should be mounted to a rifle, and not a rifle mounted to a scope. [Smile]

[ February 08, 2011, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: DEL GUE ]

--------------------
"I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart." - Bear Claw

Posts: 588 | From: FL | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters