The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » What about Vihtavuori??? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What about Vihtavuori???
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 19, 2024 05:44 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
When I lived up there in that place the Puyallup Gun Show was pretty awesome. No idea how it is now.
Our local event only takes a couple of hours to go thru twice. Small town / small show.
Pity it's the same week-end as The Outdoor Expo in Phoenix.
Hey El Bee; check it out on line and c'mon over.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 19, 2024 06:29 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard you should make the trip to Koko's. I heard now days you can hire a smuggler to get you across the border and back again for a small fee of course.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5062 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted March 19, 2024 06:43 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, those older Remingtons are great rifles. I’ve got a .222 Remington in a 600 and a 6mm Remington in a 660. I also have an original barreled .244 Remington in a model 722. None of them get used much.

Good Hunting Chad

[ March 20, 2024, 09:28 AM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2024 07:30 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
the 600 have straight bolt handle or the dog leg?

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2024 08:18 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Both my 660 and 600 have the dog leg bolt.
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2024 08:33 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
cool

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2024 10:05 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
My first one was a Model 660 in 6mmRem and it was a really nice gun but it was stolen and I never had the fucking serial number so it's gone for good. I lost my 25'06 Ackley and my Combat commander the same time. The only one that I had the sales receipt on was the Colt and I got it back ten years later.

Anyway, I missed that little 660 and I came across a used Model 600 in a gun shop and I bought it and did some modifications, got rid of the "ventilated barrel" and the plastic trigger guard, redid the stock and as it sits now, it's a very handy mountain rifle and believe it or not, in Africa, everything I killed, from springbok to jackals to Kudu and Wildebeast, everything I shot was with that handy little M600! After sighting in my Model 700 300WM, on arrival, I never fired it again! And, everything was one shot, I used 10r grain Speers and some 85 grain Sierras, but shot nothing with the 300, it stayed in his safe for 13 days. He took my guns away every night, returned them in the morning, some bullshit about his license and supervising foreigners, etc.

But it just goes to show what you can do with a light weight utility rifle in a 6mm chambering. One shot, 400 and 600 pound animals down to little Thompson's gazelle and Jackals which average a bit more than a coyote, but they are much more timid. I killed a cape fox, also but I was tickled as hell over the performance of that little M600. My son and 2 grandsons are also willing to fight over who will wind up with that gun, since it was the first centerfire rifle they all used.

And, by the way; one thing that surprised me about all African game is none of them went down BANG FLOP! Every one surprised me and ran off, died and dropped dead. I killed to wart hogs and both of them took off like a fucking freight train! It was unnerving, but I have heard that most all of African game is very very tough and die hard. It certainly seemed like it, in my limited experience.

I was disappointed in not being able to use my 300, because it's just a great rig! All custom, McMillan stock and fancy hardware and it shoots like a 308, accuracy is spot on, it's just a joy to use and carry. I've got several lifetime's supply of loaded ammunition and some prepped Nosler brass that I never needed to load, just beautiful component brass, and yet, I don't have a need, yet at todays prices, it's two bucks each, empty, unprimed. A shame, really. But, it's what I grab for any big game.

That reminds me. I just read about a regulation in Colorado about banning lion and bobcat and lynx hunting. That's ridiculous! And besides, there aren't any lynx in Colorado despite wishful thinking. But, it's a DOMINO EFFECT, and it has to be defeated! It's the same story, Liberals fucking with other people and everything must be MANDATORY! Liberals are very sick assholes! I was going to say people, but they don't deserve that designation, they are just, miserable control freaks!

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: PS that was my first 25'06 Ackley and that one was built by P.O. Ackley himself. I had a beautiful laminated thumbhole stock and it was a tack driver! I had another one built on a McMillan Weasterner stock. I've managed some amazing kills with that rifle. WITNESSED!

[ March 21, 2024, 10:12 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2024 11:23 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
It’s amazing how that works Colorado Banning Mountain Lion hunting. And right next door here in Utah our Governor who I have a host of problems with did do a couple things right by opening up Mountain Lion hunting to being able to shoot on sight, pretty much like Coyotes except you need a valid hunting license. But you do need to contact the fish and game when you shoot one. And the other is Constitutional Concealed carry.

Good Hunting Chad

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters