The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » 55Vmax in 223

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 55Vmax in 223
Eddie
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4324

Icon 1 posted October 05, 2016 06:05 PM      Profile for Eddie   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't post much but I have a question for you guys.
I been using 55 Vmax in my 22-250 with 40grs H 380 for years, it's been working great for coyotes.
I use a 50 Vmax in my 223 with 25grs H 335 for cats,its been working pretty good so far.

My question is that some of you are using the 55Vmax in your 223, how's it been doing as a fur friendly round.
Also what powder and how many grams are you using.
I been reloading since 1977 have used just about every kind of bullet. I like how the Vmax have been working.

I no everyone has got there favorite load.

Don't want to start another pissing match on what is the best, just trying to learn from those who have more experience with this load.

Posts: 275 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 05, 2016 08:29 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I only use the 55 VMax in 223Ackley. Just not lately. But, it's a good bullet. I haven't used a 223Rem in 20 years.

I think maybe some of these guys might use the 50 grain VMax, even for coyotes? I wouldn't. Best I can do, but somebody here will have good advice. (just kidding)

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted October 06, 2016 07:35 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not going to get into the .223 for called Coyotes pretty much everybody on here knows my feelings on it. But addressing the Vmax bullet for Coyotes. Again not impressed with them at all. Lots of surface splashes from my experience. And when that happens lost coyotes. Now the Nosler ballistic tip is a different story. They seem to anchor coyote even when hitting bone. I am shooting the 32 grain BT in my 204 ruger. And I am amazed at how well they anchored them. I hit bone on a couple of them and where there was a big hole they stayed down. And when it didn't hit bone there was either no exit or a small exit hole. Same experience I've had with Berger hollowpoints.

[ October 06, 2016, 08:07 AM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 06, 2016 08:36 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's interesting, Chad. I kind of like the performance of the 55VMax, both terminally and accuracy. At 223Ackley velocities, whatever they were, don't recall at the moment? Maybe a bit inconsistent, as far as predictability. By that, I mean random distances, random presentations, you know, different terminal speeds, etc. Makes for a mixed bag and I'm sure I have less than a hundred events to compare, but one thing for sure, I only had one runner, the rest one shot kills and who can complain about that, every one day stands and unpredictable. But, I retired it about four years ago, moved on to something a little more macho.

One of these days I will revisit that cartridge and I'm sure, that same bullet. 55Nosler? No flies on that, either, by all accounts. What gets my dander up is people using any 50 grain bullet designed for ground squirrels, on coyotes! I frown on it.

Anybody else have something of value for the questioner?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted October 06, 2016 12:09 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't used them alot. 55 grainers with the .223 rem and .223 AI both long gone. And 55's with my original .22-250 rem. And 32's and 40's with my 204 ruger, 25's with my 17 Tactical, and 20's with my 17 Ackley. They all seemed to act the same BIG BLOWUPS....... So I stopped buying them except for my 17 Ackley because I want the big blowups.......
Eddie
Member # 4324

Icon 1 posted October 06, 2016 01:39 PM      Profile for Eddie   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
The reason I was asking is because I got a good deal on 500 Vmax in 55 gr. Was thinking of using them for bobcats. Have been using the 50 grs in my 223 and like most of you I think it's a little light when you have a coyote come in when calling cats in thick cover. Never tried the Nosler BT, might be something to look into.

I have not had the problem with splashes with the 55 in my 22-250, not saying it won't happen just been lucky so far.

Thanks guys...never get to old to learn.

Posts: 275 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted October 06, 2016 02:06 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Just stay off that front shoulder.
Asmith
Member # 4636

Icon 1 posted October 06, 2016 03:26 PM      Profile for Asmith   Email Asmith         Edit/Delete Post 
I use 55 a lot but I have had some splashes and it will make a mess but I have had little holes in and nothing coming out so guess matters where ya hit em
Posts: 11 | From: missouri | Registered: Jul 2015  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 06, 2016 06:15 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I wouldn't pick, on purpose any VMax bullet for cats, if you have any interest in fur.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Brent Parker
Member # 4354

Icon 1 posted October 07, 2016 03:46 AM      Profile for Brent Parker   Email Brent Parker         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with Leonard on this. If cats are the game v max bullets wouldn't be used. I would look at a Barnes of some sort for cats and saving fur.
Posts: 172 | From: 2 miles east of Vic | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted October 09, 2016 07:04 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
As much as I love the 20 grain Vmax in my 17 Ackley Hornet for rock chucks, rabbits and other small critters, I will load up some 21 grain Kindler hollowpoints when I'm hunting red fox or bobcat.
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2016 01:04 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a lot of experience but the 55v-max was a lot better bullet than the 50 when i was shooting a 223 too much damage with the 50v- max for my liking.Would use neither
on a cat.

[ October 17, 2016, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2016 01:10 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Tried unsuccessfully to edit my post to say , I would use neither on a cat.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2016 01:14 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
House or Bob ??????

(Somebody had to ask.)

[Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters