The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Wipe out-patch out bore cleaner..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wipe out-patch out bore cleaner..
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2013 01:35 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure if this is the same stuff as wipe-out bore foam cleaner but any way I bought some Patch-out, wipe-out accelerator, and Carb-out from CRT that came in a liquid form with nice easey to use squirt bottles.

I was a little skeptical at first with some of the claims made about this product but CRT gave me a money back guarantee so I had nothing to lose.. It seems for me the hardest barrels to clean and keep clean are the ones with a large cartridge vrs. small diameter barrel (hotrods)..

When useing these products they say a bore brush is'nt needed in most cases, just some wet patches and some time to allow the product to work then followed up with clean dry patches.
Waiting time is around five minutes but found with my dirty barrels 20-30 minutes was better to allow the cleaner to soak in. Maybe it will work better after I use the product for awhile, will have to see..
Some of my barrels only required the use of patch-out to remove the copper and burnt powder and removed this pretty quickly so no complaints there.. I had two barrels that required me to use the wipe-out accelerator and then switched back to the patch-out and these two barrels finaly cleaned up nicely, just more of the cleaning product used and more time to allow it to work..
As far as removeing the copper and powder I'd say these two products worked very well but was time consumeing compared to other brands of bore cleaners used with a bore brush..
I did follow up with a bore brush when useing the wipe-out just to double check that it was doing its job and the good news is I don't have to use a bore brush any longer for this part of the cleaning..

Carbon build up usually takes place just in front of the throat and forward about 6" and IMO is some nasty stuff to remove and takes alot of work with most cleaners and a bore brush. Been useing Sea-foam trans tune for this part of the cleaning but still requires alot of work and soaking to loosen up the carbon..

I gave Carb-out a try and it seems to loosen more of the carbon alot quicker, gets more of it on a clean patch I push through the bore. I've found out though I need to use a nylon bore brush to help speed it along or it could take forever. Had a few barrels that just felt rough when pushing a patch through so I used the brush with a wet bore and then followed up with a few more wet patches to flush the barrel out and this made a big difference as I got more of the carbon to loosen up and come out..
Over-all I would have to say this is a pretty good product for barrel cleaning and not useing a bore brush and may keep the hot rods running a little longer..
Hopefuly once I get the barrels cleaned up there next cleaning should go much easier and shorten the time envolved... [Wink]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5061 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2013 02:23 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have a bore scope/ How are you determining that the carbon is gone?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2013 03:26 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I use a bronze bore brush. Just pass it through a wet bore and follow up with clean patches. If there is any sign of it left the brush will break part of it loose and the patch will come out black/gray. Same for checking for copper cept I use a nylon brush with a bore soaked with Sweets copper solvent and follow up with clean patches, they come out blue then there is still copper present...Another way to check is wet the bore down with solvent and let sit over nite, if anything is present a clean patch run through the barrel will show it..

From what I've found patch-out does a good job of removeing the copper and burnt powder and by inspecting the patches if barrel is still dirty the patches will come out blue (copper) and black(powder)or black and blue if both present and by checking with another cleaner I get the same result, clean patches, this tells me the patch- out is working....
Now that I can trust patch-out I won't have to follow up with a brush for this part of the cleaning as a clean patch will tell the story..

[ March 20, 2013, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

the bearhunter
HM PROSTAFF & MIDWEST REGIONAL GURU VOTED MOST HANDSOME MINNESOTAN
Member # 3552

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2013 04:00 PM      Profile for the bearhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim. carb out. is that the stuff from an auto parts store??
Posts: 1049 | From: minnifornia | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2013 04:19 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
No, its part of the patch-out wipe-out line of products..

--------------------

the bearhunter
Member # 3552

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2013 04:37 PM      Profile for the bearhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
K, thanks
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2013 05:49 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Forgot. Here is the link you can read up on the stuff there..http://www.customreloadingtools.com/index.html

--------------------

Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2013 07:22 AM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
I been using it for about 3 years. If real dirty use a nylon brush after a wet patch.
Dont stink up the house...

Dont have a borescope, but rifles seem to be shooting ok.

Stay after them
Kelly

Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2013 04:06 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
One rifle done and a second one getting close to being done..
So far i've found a nylon brush is ok when dealing with copper or powder fouling but is'nt really needed as the product seems to work great for this..
As for removeing carbon with this product or others I have used in the past soaking a barrel and letting it sit over night does'nt hurt but to me does'nt really speed up the cleaning process. I've found you just have to take it head on and just keep at it till the carbon is gone even with this new product. It does help loosen more of it up but you still have to help it along with a bronze brush. So what I have been doing is two wet patches, 5-10 strokes(could get by with less strokes) with a bronze brush and then 2 wet patches and just repete till patches come out clean after you hit the bore with the brush.
By always useing a wet patch it helps flush the barrel out, a dry patch will grab some of the loose carbon but then just smears over the rest or spreads it farther down the barrel...
You can get by leaveing some carbon deposits in a barrel, its just that it will build up again that much sooner and can then affect accuracy at some point in time or may require a barrel cleaning that much sooner to what you have done in the past...

Not 100% but I think the weather up in the northern states adds to the carbon problem.
You get out of a warm truck and make some stands or do some hunting, perhaps take a few shots which warms the barrel up and then draws some moisture back in as it cools down, some days the air is damp or you have falling or blowing snow ect. Then you get back in the truck with the heater on which helps dry the inside of the barrel and hardens whats inside it. Then you get home and leave the gun inside the truck and once again everything cools down and moisture is drawn back inside the barrel. I think you get the picture..
Anyway carbon is some tuff shit to get back out of a barrel and I hope with this new product for me that it helps keep it to a lesser degree.

I remember back when I was calling in -15 temp.s in S.D., I would leave one of my guns in the truck over night and in the mourning it had a coating of frost over the barrel and action, wonder what the inside of the barrel looked like..(?)

--------------------

Rifleshooter
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3983

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2013 01:12 PM      Profile for Rifleshooter           Edit/Delete Post 
That stuff turned my fingers brown.

--------------------
The pen is mighter than the sword, but is no match for a Colt.

Posts: 29 | From: CA-AZ-MT | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2013 02:34 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to The New HuntmastersBBS.com, rifle shooter. Glad to have you on board.

Wear latex gloves, maybe?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2013 05:16 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I have not had my fingers turn brown from useing the cleaner, but if its a problem for you wear rubber gloves..

edit:
( Hows that for sugar coating it)

[ March 22, 2013, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

the bearhunter
Member # 3552

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2013 05:34 PM      Profile for the bearhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
well thats a good way to welcome a new member!! [Confused]
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2013 05:41 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Tim. Not cool. Not funny.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2013 07:40 AM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
I have been using the "Gunslick Pro, foaming bore cleaner" in a can. I don't know if it's as good as Wipeout or any of the other brands, but it works for me. I usually just let it soak overnight if the barrel is dirty. I do tend to over clean, just an old habit I suppose.

I often will run a couple of wet patches with Butches bore shine through the bore if not too dirty, or if the humidity is really high, like if I get caught in the rain. Also, sometimes when hunting in the desert, it seems like that fine sand dust junk gets into everything, I guess I could just shoot it out and let it lap the barrel like it seems to lap the action. [Smile]

I have experimented with all kinds of stuff. I have used q-tips cut in half and stuck in a cleaning rod like a jag and soaked in Sweets or other copper cleaners, BTW this works on the 17 cals pretty slick if you don't want to use a brass jg and get a false copper foul reading.

I do use a bronze brush when I want to speed up things.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2013 08:08 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
My results with WipeOut leave a lot to be desired. Maybe I got a bad can but it doesn't work for shit, and I have tried it several different ways. I might as well be using whipped cream for all the good it does. If I could remember who I bought it from, I would demand my money back. It's been a long time since I have used such a worthless barrel cleaning product. The thing is, Dave Afflack recommended it and I pay attention when he says something....so I have to assume there is something wrong with my particular can? Just my luck, I'm now using everything I can get my hands on and all this shit is getting spendy as hell.

Speaking of which, I have a bottle of Montana whatever, (particularly bad smelling) it's called and I also got a gazillion 22 patches with it. Those patches can't be rammed down a .224" bore to save my life! And, they are too loose in a 24 bore. They look like they would be good for patching 50 caliber lead balls?

I recently bought a friggin' cleaning rod for the 30" 243AI. I'm not kidding, it was $50. This shit is getting out of hand when a damned cleaning rod can set you back fifty bucks! One thing about it, you spin the handle and it won't stop for damned near five minutes! Must clean really well?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2013 09:30 AM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, oh ya, the old handle spinning test. I hear that one is a killer to compete with for all the cleaning rod manufactures.

Aw, heck LB, just cash in one of those million dollar checks you get from this sites sponsors.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2013 12:07 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard the stuff I'm useing is in a liquid form, not the foam.. Tried the foam earlier and agree it sucks..(with foam you are useing more than whats needed for each applacation/wasteing)
The thing with the patches is some brands come in different thicknesses, some too thick to use on a dirty barrel and some too dam thin and if your lucky some are perfect..Also try to stay away from the large dia. patches, only need them big enough to cover half of the cleaning jag, any more than that is just a waste of material...

Just brought the new Savage I bought in the house last nite to clean. Copper and powder fouling came out pretty easey but took a little work to get the carbon out..

I also have Butches bore shine, Montana extreme, Sweets,shooters choice, Gold medalion and a few other brands of cleaners on hand. They all work, its just some work faster than others..

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2013 02:49 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard don't go out and get them right away but when you do need to get some cleaning patches see if you can find "Sagebrush products' cleaning patches 7/8" 17 cal up to includeing 22 cal. patches. They are a little larger than the standard 17 cal. patches but work for both Cal.s.. Alot of times I find the carbon build up rough just past the throat which makes it difficult to get a patch started so you may need to use a thinner patch just so you can get the solvent to soak in and loosen some of the carbon so other patches will work, a brush will help also.
Most of my jags are worn down abit from the harsh cleaners so I can get by with two different thickness of patches, just go to a thicker one as the barrel cleans up..
What you can do to is put a jag in a drill and sand some of it down so the brand of patches/thicker you use will work much easier..

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 03, 2013 10:47 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I got four test rifles all cleaned up finally and really like how this product works as far as cleaning goes. Will check a few rifles at the range and then see how they clean up again, its suppose to go much easier the next time around so we'll see..
I thought the stuff worked so good I decided to go through the other rifles I have sitting in the gun cabinet and found a few that I had cleaned before storeing and found I still had carbon in them so I got them cleaned up..
I did have one rifle I must of forgotten to clean and it had a heck of a build-up of copper and fouling inside the barrel so I went after the copper first just useing wet patches and wait process. It took a little longer but cleaned up nicely and I still have a little bit of carbon to get out yet then I'm done..
I plan to stick with this product from now on but will still use shooters choice for barrel break in.. Later..

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters