The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Your Opinions Please

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Your Opinions Please
WhiteMtnCur
Knows what it's all about
Member # 5

Icon 1 posted September 07, 2004 10:04 AM      Profile for WhiteMtnCur   Author's Homepage   Email WhiteMtnCur         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to the Nebraska Fur Harvestors convention at the end of the month and saw on another site an attendee there will have "Remington 788 22.250, ex. condition. with 3-9 scope. $300.00." for sale.

I was interested, inquired and found out the gun was bought as a gift 15 years ago, but hasn't been used for 8. It was only used when checking traps and doing a little calling. Overall it's in good shape.

I had no intention of buying another .22-250 right now, but I've heard good things about the Remington 788's, so I'm tempted.

Think it's worth $300 or should I pass?

Posts: 97 | From: Nevada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 07, 2004 10:13 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You can buy it for me. Sounds like a good deal. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bofire
READ MY LIPS!
Member # 221

Icon 6 posted September 07, 2004 04:43 PM      Profile for Bofire   Author's Homepage   Email Bofire         Edit/Delete Post 
Grab it!!!
nuff said
Carl

Posts: 322 | From: Wild West | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jack Roberts
Knows what it's all about
Member # 13

Icon 1 posted September 07, 2004 05:40 PM      Profile for Jack Roberts   Email Jack Roberts         Edit/Delete Post 
If the barrel looks OK with a borescope, it is a good deal. I would not buy any 22-250 without borescoping it first.

Jack

Posts: 499 | From: Elko NV formerly MD | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted September 07, 2004 05:45 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
I used the same set up for calling a couple of years ago. I wish I still had it!

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted September 08, 2004 06:05 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Jack on the borescope, or if that's not feasible, I'd make sure that you could get your money back if the gun won't shoot. New in the box apperence is very common with some of the PD's shooters guns but the barrels might be be toast.

About seven years ago, I bought a used 788 in 22-250,based on experience with shooting .222,.223 and also a 6mm 788's. They were real tackdrivers, with the 6mm being almost unbelievable. Well to make a long story short, that 22-250 would not group with any of my proven 250 loads. Two days later I returned it and got my money back.

Here's a couple of sites that might intrest you.

http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh/788.html

The link didn't work, but here's the manufacturing dates. Might be helpful in seeing how much history that gun had prior to the last 15

Serial Number Blocks: 1967 – 010001 to 068460
1968 – 6200000 to 6899999
1974 – A6000000 to A6199999
1978 – B6000000 to B6199999

Dennis

[ September 08, 2004, 07:50 AM: Message edited by: Greenside ]

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 08, 2004 08:45 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, that's very good advice about the bore scope, and especially when considering chamberings such as 220 or 22-250, and a few other high intensity rounds.

But, I don't own a bore scope and have never bought a used gun with anything more than a good over all inspection.

It seems to me that a well regarded model, by a well regarded manufacturer, in a desirable chambering, with mounts, rings and throwaway scope is worth the asking price. These guns are not normally used for high volume varmints, especially mounted with a cheap 3X9 scope.

On the other hand, I have sold used guns before, and they are always, as is. You are dreaming to think that you will be able to return the gun if it doesn't shoot to your expectations. Be careful, but don't be so smart that you talk yourself out of what sounds like a good deal. You know, with some of the newer tubes coming off the high speed production lines these days, used guns in well cared for condition at reasonable prices are worth consideration.

Good luck, LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted September 09, 2004 09:19 PM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
Buy it, shoot it, and enjoy it. That is certainly a very fair price for a rifle that just may shoot very well. If it doesn't, you'll have no trouble unloading it for at least that amount.

I'm not sure that the 788 ever had enough "class" to appeal to the p-dog shooting crowd. They are ugly and heavy. I own a few and all of them were bought used - none of them were "very much used". Check the back of the locking lugs, if it has been shot as claimed they'll be almost completely black.

I hunt with a 788 in 22-250 that almost matches my 788 in 223... I'm biased as hell. But, if it works....

Posts: 646 | From: Midwest | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters