The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » Anyone use a backpack? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Anyone use a backpack?
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2013 07:27 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
I have been thinking of a smaller type backpack with perhaps a rifle scabbard to hold all my junk.

Rifle, seat, caller, some handcalls, small portable gambrel, tail puller, knife, plastic gloves, couple of trashbags for the peeled coyote pelts, and perhaps some other crap I can't remember off the top of my head.

Any of you guys use a back pack? Out west in S, AZ where the pelts aren't worth fooling with, I pretty much just carry my rifle e-caller, and seat. Back home I often carry all the junk above in a turkey vest.

Just looking for the better mousetrap, so to speak.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chris S
"SPECIAL ACCOUNT" HM's Facebook page moderator & runs with scissors
Member # 3888

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2013 07:53 PM      Profile for Chris S           Edit/Delete Post 
I've used one in the past and have one in the trunk. More often than not I can get by with cargo pants. I do walk a lot when I'm hunting, due to locations, but a small bottle of water in one pocket and a few other pockets filled with junk and I'm good to go.
Posts: 534 | From: Oakland County, MI USA Earth | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
Baldknobber
Knows what it's all about
Member # 514

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2013 08:18 PM      Profile for Baldknobber   Email Baldknobber         Edit/Delete Post 
I use a fanny pack I bought at Bass Pro. It had about six pockets, not including the big one which was just large enough to hold my Foxpro fx32. I carry a set of 50 pound fish scales, knife and sharpener, compass, latex gloves some handcalls, a whistle, and a scope lens cloth. Oh, and some paper towels folded up that come in reeeeeal handy once in awhile!!!!

--------------------
JTBMO

Posts: 202 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2013 08:59 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I carry way more gear than I should but since my dad fell and broke his back hunting alone, it gives my wife a little piece of mind that I could stay out for a day or two if something happened. I hunt alone most of the time too.

Anyway, I carry a Kifaru escape and evasion bag. It holds a small camelback bladder, calls, extra batteries, knife, a little survival kit, snacks, extra ammo, range finder and anything else I might need.

It wasn't cheap but its the perfect size and built solid.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2013 09:04 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
I use the Eberlestock mini me with the shotgun scabbard. Rifle over my shoulder, shotgun in pack. It's a small lightweight pack and handy as heck. Every stand.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2013 09:12 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I also have a Mystery Ranch Dragonslayer if I intend to make camp and carry something out if you want something bigger.

And I forgot about my Eagle 3 day assult pack, it's been to the Bahamas, Jamaica and the Dominican Republic as a carry on and a beach bag. It'd probably work too.

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2013 09:37 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Shotgun or rifle on shoulder and everything else (including kitchen sink) in my call bag that I hand carry.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2013 05:57 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the packs like the Eberlestock Mini Me, come with hydration bladders, do you guys actually use that feature, much?

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2013 07:24 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Backpacks are like boots, what fits and suits me, may not suit you.

Hydration bladders, not me, I can't stand drinking warm water, or the taste of the water from one. They also can get funky if not well taken care of.

On long trips I carry an Exstream Orinoco water purifier, it looks like a squeeze type water bottle, except that it comes with a high quality filter in it.

I've got probably 15 different backpacks.

I gave my brother, Red, an Atlas snowshoe pack, and he faithfully carries it hunting, but I can put most everything I need in my pockets, and a single shotshell bag (like they use at the trap range).

Krusty

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2013 08:50 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Not a pack fan so much, but I do believe in stowing stuff to carry on my person when hunting. Beyond in the clothes I wear, I'm still loving that Cabelas Speed Seat I bought. The only thing it lacked was shoulder straps and I was able to pick up a good set of camo suspenders that make this seat like a turkey vest and seat oughtta be. The seat came with waist pouches that I use to carry an extra battery for my caller, extra ammo, a couple hand calls and the like.

My clothes are where I pack most stuff. I'm not as far from the truck as many of you guys, so what I need is limited. I'm a big believer in military stuff and anymore, use almost exclusively military issue ACU's (Army Combat Unis) for cammies. Interestingly, I've recentl;y noted that many of ther soldiers have gone to the newest generation that are dyed the same digital tan pattern that I dye the lighter green new sets myself. I really like all the multiple pockets and hiding spots for stuff, from the sides pouches on the pant legs to pockets clear down on the sises of my calves, pockets down the arms, angled pockets on the chest, double layered in the ass and elbows and best of all, a full length zipper in the front of the shirt rather than buttons. I can carry a cell phone in the breast pocket, one pant leg has three or four drags, the other, TP, a knife, a little bottle of talc to test the wind with, a GPS if I need it, extra ammo, extra face masks and gloves, even my M-1. I'm pretty anal about where stuff needs to be and don't like to get all those pockets disorganized. Worse yet, I don't like getting away from the truck and not having something that should be in one of my pockets.

There is other military stuff that's coming in handy these days. I picked up and dyed a boonie-style hat from an army neighbor and another guy gave me a set of infantry knee pads before transferring to Fort Bragg. Never had a use for them, but after having two knee surgeries and looking at a possible third, I started wearing them over the ACU's and under my overalls and, by God, they are "the shit" as far as being able to get up and kneel down. I recently picked up a pair of Bates boots they made for the Marine Corp in coyote tan but which were rejected due to a flaw in the liners and both them and the knee pads are very comfortable. In fact, with all the hooplah about how we civilians don't have any use or need for military stuff, I thought about getting a pic of me in what I wear to spend the day calling so guys could see what I feel makes me a well-dressed predator hunter. From the AR to the boots, May not be purty to "regular folk", but it is all very functional and that's what counts to me. Say what you will, but coyote callers have the neatest shit of all hunting genres. [Wink]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2013 09:52 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
The problem that I have with going the shirt & pants pocket route is that when I layer down in late morning or layer up in early evening, something ends up in a garment pocket back at the truck when I need it on stand.
With the call bag, I either have everything that I need on stand or I forgot everything. (Yeah, it's happened).

YMMV

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2013 04:18 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
That's my excuse too. The bag contains all I need and has room to stow a jacket when it warms up. That way I just grab the bag, gun and caller and go.

I also keep the remote tethered to the caller or bag so I don't get out there and remember the remote is back at home. Yep I've done it.

Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2013 05:40 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
I rarely "hop" from stand to stand in the truck, and I also rarely need layers... when I do, need layers, I take a backpack.

The only problem I had with pockets, is when three of my favorite calls fell out while crawling up on mule deer (to try and take photos). [Frown]

Krusty

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DiYi
Wears wife's pink panties under his camo for good luck. (yeah, right!)
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2013 05:47 PM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
I carry one for sure in the winter.I'm alone most of the time and at my age I like to kid myself and think I can survive a night or 2 with a broken leg or....
I've got assorted backpacks but for this I use an old thick cloth 'bookbag' of my wifes.It contains e-caller and remote,assorted hand calls,rubber pad for sitting on in the snow during stands,couple grannie bars,compact poncho,compact space blanket,whistle,matches/lighters,facemask(which I keep the remote wrapped in)and 4-5 chemical hand and body warmers.Hopefully never have to use any of it except the calls.No hydro pack-only alcohol would not freeze here.Heading out early AM with Bearhunter for a few days so should add some energy drink to aid in keeping up though-he has little respect for his elders.
 -

Posts: 623 | From: SoDak | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2013 09:39 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
DiYi;
Have you ever thought of putting all of your stuff on a small toboggan???
Maybe include a woodstove, too. [Big Grin]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2013 11:15 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I use a back pack on the long hunting trips to keep safety gear in, some back up calls and a skinning kit and also have a military back pack for extra clothes..I don't actualy wear it from one stand to the next. [Eek!]
I just keep most of my gear in the truck in seperate storage boxes and is there if I ever need it..

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5063 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
DiYi
Wears wife's pink panties under his camo for good luck. (yeah, right!)
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted February 15, 2013 02:52 AM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
KoKo,
The stove,sleeping bag and kitchen sink are in my truck.
TA,I carry mine cause I get out of my truck and off the road.

[ February 15, 2013, 02:54 AM: Message edited by: DiYi ]

Posts: 623 | From: SoDak | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted February 15, 2013 05:17 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a large box made by plano( with the shittiest hinge system known to man) that stays in my truck when hunting it holds too many things to mention and duplicate items for anyone that may have forgotten something or not dressed properly for the weather. On stand I carry only a waist pack that holds e- caller, hand calls , gloves facemask,extra batteries,knife, flashlight,critter carrier made from nylon battery handle and two water bottles.I carry my rifle , stool and shooting sticks.It is rare that I need to go much further than 300 yds. from the truck when calling coyotes,cats or fox.I have several large packs for other adventures and dont like any of them.
went ot youtube for a link to mini me very cool pack
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=LU-NhEzVsII
Thank you KOKO for the critter carrier still using it.

[ February 15, 2013, 05:54 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 15, 2013 09:42 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, those battery handles work pretty well as long as I can remember how to make the loops. [Big Grin]

--------------------

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2013 09:28 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
That Eberlestock "Mini-Me" pack that Cal mentioned looks about the perfect size for toting shit from stand to stand. The optional scabbard will keep you hands free, and just enough internal space for an e-caller & other possibles. I've been tossing around the idea of the getting either the Mini-Me or the Tailhook, as a small pack system...
Tailhook pack
I do have an original Eberle Gunslinger (the GS05, not the newer G2) and it has an internal gun scabbard built in, plus 2700 cc storage. If you wanted a little more internal volume for toting extra clothes & assorted survival crap, the original Gunslinger might be worth considering...
Gunslinger video

[ February 20, 2013, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2013 10:45 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Backpacks are for stream fishing and gun shows. For coyote stands, I favor cargo pockets and a tactical vest. Of course, I don't wander very far from the vehicle. If need be, I could probably crawl back there with a broken leg.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2013 11:57 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
A mini backpack is a must for my style of calling. I usually walk a lot and pack both a shotgun and a rifle,I usually put a little food,water,ecaller,handcalls,remote,and rangefinder in it not to mention a couple of coyote drags,and some skinning items. So yes a backpack is a must for me.And hell I'd be in a world of hurt if I broke my leg as far as I've been from the truck before. lol

Good Hunting Chad

[ February 20, 2013, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2013 12:25 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Does it discourage you to walk a couple miles into virgin country and set up right in front of a two track you didn't know was there?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2013 12:32 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL. Yeah had that happen a few times.

But the problem with some of the good areas I call is it's difficult to hide the truck alot of times so I either walk or use the ATV to get to those good spots that hold lots of coyotes.

Good Hunting Chad

[ February 20, 2013, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chris S
"SPECIAL ACCOUNT" HM's Facebook page moderator & runs with scissors
Member # 3888

Icon 14 posted February 20, 2013 05:57 PM      Profile for Chris S           Edit/Delete Post 
You know how many times I have thought I was in the middle of nowhere, only to have some dork wannabe Lance Armstrong ride down a path on a bike 50 yards away? That shit is irritating, so, now I use a GPS to be sure Lance Jr. doesn't ruin another stand.
Posts: 534 | From: Oakland County, MI USA Earth | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters