The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » DIY Open reed call...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: DIY Open reed call...
Yotehntr
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3684

Icon 1 posted November 08, 2011 12:56 AM      Profile for Yotehntr   Author's Homepage   Email Yotehntr         Edit/Delete Post 
Thinking of guys that don't have a lathe or any specialized tools... and don't have the $ to buy a call here's a do it yourself instructional for making your own open reed call.

Step 1..cut a blank that is long enough for your barrel and your toneboard...decide how long the toneboard will be and mark your lines for length and width...

-

Drill out the bore of the barrel and drill out the air channel I think I used about 1/4" for the air channel and 3/4 for the bore.

-

-

I used a roll of masking tape for my ramp... just landed it a little above center at the barrel and a little below the entrance of the air channel. Really just did this by eye.. no set dimensions.
 -

I used a scroll saw to cut out the ramp then cut along all the toneboard lines to remove the obvious extra wood... a coping saw would do just as well.
 -

-

I went a little to high and ended up with some excess to cut and file away.. no big deal just more time.
 -

[ November 08, 2011, 01:01 AM: Message edited by: Yotehntr ]

--------------------
Yotehntr Calls Put something pretty on your lips! ;)

Posts: 53 | From: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
Yotehntr
Member # 3684

Icon 1 posted November 08, 2011 12:58 AM      Profile for Yotehntr   Author's Homepage   Email Yotehntr         Edit/Delete Post 
sanding the ramp and filing out the air channel
 -

-

I carved and filed a while to round off the corners, the sanded them some what smooth.

-

Did the "shoe shine boy" thin on the back of the ramp to round it off...

-

Worked better than I expected..

-

Grabbed a milk jug to use for a reed, cut it to fit over the air channel.. wider will make the pitch lower, narrower will make it higher pitched.

-

Here's the finished product.. it's no beauty... ok it's butt ugly, but I have no doubt it'll call a coyote in... give it a listen... just CLICK HERE I'd love to see/hear what you do!

-

[ November 08, 2011, 01:05 AM: Message edited by: Yotehntr ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 08, 2011 09:22 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Very good! Actually, there is a small amount of functional beauty in that ugliness. If I was to be in close proximity to a gaggle of predator hunters with that thing hanging around my neck, I bet I would get a few double takes and a few comments. I'd call it my 2X4 call.

gh....lb

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Yotehntr
Member # 3684

Icon 1 posted November 08, 2011 11:23 AM      Profile for Yotehntr   Author's Homepage   Email Yotehntr         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL it does look like a piece of a 2x4 in the pics! It's actually a piece of cherry... I didn't have any drano to put on it... diluted lye will prematurely age cherry and bring its true colors out. [Wink]

--------------------

TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2011 11:31 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
That's a great tutorial for a po' man's caller. I like it!
Posts: 857 | From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2011 01:03 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, you guys with talent make it look soooooo easy. I'll still give it a try though......

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2011 01:12 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
A lot harder to accidentally swallow, by the look of it?

gh....lb

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2011 01:15 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Good information Brad! Thanks for sharing. [Wink]

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Yotehntr
Member # 3684

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2011 11:55 PM      Profile for Yotehntr   Author's Homepage   Email Yotehntr         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yeah, you guys with talent make it look soooooo easy. I'll still give it a try though......
Thank you Kokopelli... if you have any problems I'd be happy to lend a hand, either in open forum or shoot me a pm. Don't get disheartened... this was my 3rd try and I had about 2 hours in each one.

Leonard sounds like your letting those coyotes get to close bud! LOL Shoot 'em a little further out! [Smile] Defiantly stay away from the diaphragm calls! [Wink]

[ November 09, 2011, 11:56 PM: Message edited by: Yotehntr ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2011 08:18 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'm going to let them come in close, or shoot them a little further out. It's good that 2X4 floats, BTW.

gh....lb

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters