The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » New finish....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New finish....
Yotehntr
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3684

Icon 1 posted October 27, 2011 12:31 AM      Profile for Yotehntr   Author's Homepage   Email Yotehntr         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty partial to the CA finish's... just like the protection it gives calls... I usually make very high gloss calls, but know some folks prefer a satin finish... just the shiny thing gives 'em a little bit of worry... I've been experimenting with a CA satin finish and think I've hit it... these are, to me considered "field grade" thought I'd share some pics, let me know what ya think!

This one is Hawaiian Koa and antler.
 -
 -

This is Corrugata and antler...
 -
 -

This is my latest... it is Turkish Walnut, and a Buffalo Horn toneboard.
 -
 -

--------------------
Yotehntr Calls Put something pretty on your lips! ;)

Posts: 53 | From: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
Possumal
HONORARY CALLS FORUM MODERATOR edit: AND TOKEN LIBERAL
Member # 823

Icon 1 posted October 27, 2011 05:08 AM      Profile for Possumal   Author's Homepage   Email Possumal         Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, I think you are heading in the right direction, protection without shine. I especially like the Turkish Walnut. I always preferred gun stocks with the hand rubbed oil finish with as close to no shine as possible. Classy looking work there, pard!

--------------------
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Posts: 781 | From: Nicholasville, Ky. | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 27, 2011 06:01 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Al. That Turkish walnut is an attention getter. There is a place for high gloss and satin finishes, I can't say that I like either one to the exclusion of the other.

Man, I saw a rocking chair made from Hawaiian Koa, on Maui, a few years ago. Would not fit in my suitcase. The price was...umm, I could buy a pretty nice scope for that much, if I'm not mistaken?

Thanks for sharing. Appreciate it.

gh....lb

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted October 31, 2011 11:24 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
Beautiful work Brad.

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted November 01, 2011 04:01 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice work Brad! I have often wished that I would have learned to use a lathe and mill properly. I really like the idea of mouth pieces with that O ring fit also.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Yotehntr
Member # 3684

Icon 1 posted November 01, 2011 07:28 AM      Profile for Yotehntr   Author's Homepage   Email Yotehntr         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys! LOL that's kind of funny Rich.. I've been thinking about trying the horn howlers. Guess we always want to do something different. [Smile]

--------------------

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted November 01, 2011 09:07 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Yotehntr,

Give it a go Yote! I think an O ring fitted mouth piece would be a nice option to offer. If the mouth piece had O rings on both ends, a man could transport the howler with reed body inside of the horn, and simply pull it out and turn it around when you were ready to howl. No seperate reed protector would be needed.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 01, 2011 09:10 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, Al Lux had some rather neat designs with O rings. I have one of his with different O ring reeds and different screw on barrels. Extremely well made.

gh....lb

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Yotehntr
Member # 3684

Icon 1 posted November 01, 2011 10:32 PM      Profile for Yotehntr   Author's Homepage   Email Yotehntr         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have to see if I can find where to buy some horns... this could get ugly ya'll! LOL ... you have any pics of one of 'em Leonard? I'm actually wanting to get into a little carving on 'em... my little bitty calls are so small....and my age.... I mean eye site is getting a little bit to bad to carve on something as small as my distress calls.. LOL

--------------------

Chris S
"SPECIAL ACCOUNT" HM's Facebook page moderator & runs with scissors
Member # 3888

Icon 1 posted November 04, 2011 10:04 AM      Profile for Chris S           Edit/Delete Post 
Yotehntr, the Al Lux calls were/ are made from machined aluminum. Quite a bit different from what you do [Smile]
Posts: 534 | From: Oakland County, MI USA Earth | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters