The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » My new Foxpro CS24L (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: My new Foxpro CS24L
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2010 08:48 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, boys and girls. I'm still smarting by Dan, (the man)'s advice to read the instructions.

I don't know the problem, but my $800 machine didn't make a single stand on this last trip. Luckily, there was a cell tower somewhere and I spent the better part of an hour talking to a guy named Joe, in the tech assistance department.

He walked me through the whole enchilada, without solution. Ultimately, he suggested sending me a new unit, to arrive before I leave for Canada, Friday.

Fine, so (since I didn't bring my Minaska) I was forced to hand call. Not that I mind, but this was the debut of my high dollar machine, as it were.

So, very high marks to their Tech Support, which everybody says is excellent. I can't fault them on that score.

But, we have to remember that this thing has caused me problems since day one. I thought a replacement of the remote TX500 would solve my problems, but according to them, they suspect the volatle memory, at this point, since it does not maintain the presets from one turn on to the next.

That's the least of my worries since I was able to play it manually by scrolling to a sound and hitting the top knob. But, it quit completely with the battery light blinking which should indicate a dead battery, but this was not the case. It played a few times like a stuck cassette, sound, no sound, sound, no sound. Very short intervals, however.

Anyway, I could program the presets 'til the cows come home, and they wouldn't last, next time I turned the TX500 on, no presets.

One thing about the operating manual, (which I had with me, along with three sets of fully charged batteries) is any kind of
troubleshooting guide, whatsoever.

I am not dumping on Foxpro here. It's always possible to have a bug in electronics. Just like the current Administration HM deals in TRANSPARENCY. Example, my Garmin GPS quit working on me twice, driving home. I'm taking that sucker back, too!

Good hunting. LB

[ December 14, 2010, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31487 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2010 08:56 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose you could borrow my WT for the trip. Its got exspeariance.. [Wink]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5083 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2010 09:09 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
I feel for you LB, I had some issues with my former FX3. I sent it back, and sent it back, and sent it back, and a few more times.

Got a CS24, last trip to AZ land, and the display were the sounds names are supposed to be didn't show any sounds. It showed Volume and sound #, but not the names. Luckily it still worked, and my presets were still there.

Got it all figured out now and it is working again.

Too bad the WT's are not programmable. From what I hear, they do seem to work. TA seems to like his.

[ December 14, 2010, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: DanS ]

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2010 09:09 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the offer, Tim. I think the sloppy bucket would be the biggest problem. I only wear a 7 &1/2.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2010 09:41 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Thanks for the offer, Tim. I think the sloppy bucket would be the biggest problem. I only wear a 7 &1/2.

I think you got me mixed up with Kelly. I just hold it with my left hand...

If you change youre mind just holler. Oh I let Roede use it a few years back, if I remember correctly he took 2nd or 3rd [Wink] in a contest with it..

--------------------

tlbradford
Rimfires are MAGIC on COYOTES! If you do your part
Member # 1232

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2010 10:59 PM      Profile for tlbradford   Email tlbradford         Edit/Delete Post 
If you drive to Canada, via Spokane, you are more than welcome to borrow my CS-24L. No problems so far.

Of course I haven't taken the back off of it. I think that was your demise. Maybe it got sick from the ashesive you used to glue the carpet to it. I can't wait until they see that at Foxpro. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Dan Carey ain't that special" - LB

Posts: 423 | From: Spokane Valley, WA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2010 11:31 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
They won't see it, I'm switching the back part and keeping my carpeted bell.

Flying up. LB

edit: yeah, it got messed up from sniffing glue. Why can't I figure these things out?

[ December 14, 2010, 11:34 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

tawnoper
Knows what it's all about
Member # 497

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2010 07:53 AM      Profile for tawnoper   Email tawnoper         Edit/Delete Post 
800 bucks for a caller!? Really?
Posts: 53 | From: socal | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dan Carey
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2010 07:56 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
I'd lend you mine except with your luck you'd probably break the damn thing.
IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2010 01:26 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Dan should've been more thoughtful instead of telling you to read the instructions.

I swear e-callers are what they use in hell.

My CS24 has worked perfectly since I got the charging issues out of the way and the other day, I snuck in, got set up and nothing. Wound up walking back out to it, turning it off and taking the batteries out of my remote, then it all worked fine.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
coyote whacker
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2010 01:52 PM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeh tim we all know it was your caller that got R Rhode a top 3 position in a calling contest LOL. Never mind knowing anything about calling, all we need is Tim's WT and we are all pro's at callin coyotes LOL.

FWIW I know a few that have had issues with ther mighty ATOM's as well [Big Grin]

[ December 15, 2010, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: coyote whacker ]

--------------------
This is done on my time and my dime. My views may differ from those of others!

Posts: 376 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2010 02:02 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Tom. That's what I got right now. I had a sudden thought and tried my new CS24L about 30 minutes ago. It was working like nothing ever happened, but it still never heard of "presets".

Good hunting. LB

PS, I hope my new one, they didn't forget to install the Foxbang?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2010 02:57 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yeh tim we all know it was your caller that got R Rhode a top 3 position in a calling contest LOL. Never mind knowing anything about calling, all we need is Tim's WT and we are all pro's at callin coyotes LOL.

Randy already had a WT, mine was just easier to get around with... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2010 11:45 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I have not seen the new replacement, yet? Maybe I should call?

Dan, I might need you to drive up and loan me yours? I'll buy you a DoubleDouble? Yum!

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

coyote whacker
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2010 03:04 PM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
Randy already had a WT, mine was just easier to get around with...

Why is yours on wheels [Big Grin]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2010 06:51 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Its mounted right to the truck. Just park on the shoulder of the road and walk out aways and start calling.. [Razz]

Actualy Randy had the old model and said it would suck trying to drag it around in snow over 3' deep so I borrowed my newer model to him..

[ December 16, 2010, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

coyote whacker
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2010 12:05 PM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
all you have to do is put them in a back pack problem solved, I think he wanted to test your mighty atom before he made the purchase! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2010 02:18 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'm waiting at gate 75A, to Denver. My new CS24L was at the front door late in the afternoon. I had stuff to do and got around to opening the box much later in the evening.

Drove me nuts! Nothing worked. I switched remotes and the rear cover with the electronics in it, back and forth with the new and old machine. I mean, I was getting pissed when I noticed that the new TX500 had a 7 in the first space on the bottom line. So, I got into the set up and changed the channel to 15 and suddenly, it was working.

They already entered all my sounds, (I think, but didn't scroll through everything, just assuming they got it right) And, they did remember to program the Foxbang feature. And, they even included two battery pouches and two plug in recepticles, one on each side. Apparently, it works with both plugged in or either plugged in? Kinda nice to put the ports on either side in a protected location. MY original, it was more near the rear of the unit and in bouncing around in the back a little, it damaged the jack where it was sticking out like a sore thumb. So, where they are both located now, on opposite sides, I think I can leave them plugged in or not, and they shouldn't be subjected to rolling against something and damaging the plug portion. Looks to be a good change, and I understand that some are hardwired, and doesn't apply, but for those that request the modification, I think it is worthwhile.

Anyway, I'm in group two and will be boarding in 30 minutes, or so?

I will have an hour on the ground in Denver, and I don't know how far the walk will be, but in that terminal, it could be a mile, or more. Saskatoon weather, I hear it just snowed pretty good and I didn't bring my snowshoes. Deal with it, Boski.

Good hunting LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

fgf4
unknown comic

Icon 14 posted December 17, 2010 03:23 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Wishing you have a safe and fun trip Leonard!

Hope you remembered a camera and take lots of pictures!

I'm pretty sure us okies can keep your site up and running! [Razz] [Razz]

Good luck!!!!

Nikonut

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2010 04:20 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
all you have to do is put them in a back pack problem solved, I think he wanted to test your mighty atom before he made the purchase!
Yes he could of done that but I think he was more concerned about the total weight, mine is much lighter.. By the way I don't have a Atom caller, I have the 2030 magnum.. [Big Grin]

Edit to add: Leonard have a good one and stay away from the ca-nooks, child support is plenty high up that way.. [Razz]

[ December 17, 2010, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2010 08:39 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'm hearing all about it!

I'm having my first cup of coffee, maybe get out in a while. These canuks have an accent, but I'm learning to read lips!

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2010 05:41 PM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,
It sounds like they set your mega CS-24 up like mine with the dual jacks. You'll get a ton of run-time with two battery packs going. I think my CS-24 was the first to have those jacks on that TOA speaker cap. I couldn't deal with having a mandatory wire sticking out that could easily snag and snap in the cold. Since then, FoxPro has also made me some super heavy duty arctic grade wires and 90 degree plugs for mine. It's the toughest caller out there. This is mine running the 14.8volt Li-Ion battery pack. The thing runs forever as is in -40ºF and colder.

-
 -

Posts: 857 | From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Possumal
HONORARY CALLS FORUM MODERATOR edit: AND TOKEN LIBERAL
Member # 823

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2010 08:14 PM      Profile for Possumal   Author's Homepage   Email Possumal         Edit/Delete Post 
Looking fine, Wookie, pal of mine. That new setup on the wiring and 90 degree jacks ought to be perfect for the kind of weather you hunt. Now let's see some of those arctic critters, maybe that big male lynx who was mate to the nice female you got last winter.

--------------------
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Posts: 781 | From: Nicholasville, Ky. | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2010 09:00 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Won't moister get into those jacks and short out the caller???? Then there is plugging in and unplugging and just vibrations which will wear out the contact points or keep from touching all the time.. I'd say its a even trade or couldbe worse..

On my older Dennis Kirk caller It has a place to plug in the cassette player after some time the contact points in the plug got to the point they did'nt always make contact so you had to wiggle the plug from time to time or replace it..

--------------------

fgf4
unknown comic

Icon 14 posted December 18, 2010 10:33 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Won't moister get into those jacks and short out the caller???? Then there is plugging in and unplugging and just vibrations which will wear out the contact points or keep from touching all the time.. I'd say its a even trade or couldbe worse..
That's a valid point Tim but I don't think it will be a problem, wouldn't be as likely as breaking those 9volt battery style clips. A little silicon rubber caulking could be used to seal the jack assembly from inside the cap and if one did eventually wear out it would cost less than $10 to replace both jacks. That's a nice setup in my opinion! I like the snow camo job, too! Excellent!

Nikonut [Big Grin]

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters