The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » Foxpro makes another great idea a reality! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Foxpro makes another great idea a reality!
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 06, 2010 04:54 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
It's interesting how far callers have come. It wasn't all that long ago that an electronic caller played a 45 rpm record. Then there was the Johnny Stewart 512 cassette player. That was state of the art for a long time. Once the digital callers came out it seemed as though the floodgates opened.

Now we have callers with remotes that work half way across the county, volume settings that go to 'Stun', callers with decoys, and callers with mist. And let's not forget 'Studio Quality Sound' either just to be fair.

I have to wonder what we'll have in another 20 years, but one thing is for certain; progress marches along whether us old farts like it or not. [Razz]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
coyote whacker
Knows what it's all about
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted June 07, 2010 04:29 AM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim that I don't know yet, I think the remote not 100% though. I know a few guys that have suppressors and they do help, many factors though as to how much.

[ June 07, 2010, 04:32 AM: Message edited by: coyote whacker ]

--------------------
This is done on my time and my dime. My views may differ from those of others!

Posts: 376 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Possumal
HONORARY CALLS FORUM MODERATOR edit: AND TOKEN LIBERAL
Member # 823

Icon 1 posted June 07, 2010 09:06 AM      Profile for Possumal   Author's Homepage   Email Possumal         Edit/Delete Post 
Got to be in the remote. They are offering it as an upgrade to any ecaller using the TX500 remote.

--------------------
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Posts: 781 | From: Nicholasville, Ky. | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted June 07, 2010 09:28 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
My guess would be the remote as it is consistently the sme distance from the gun whereas the caller could be hundreds of yards away. The remote picks up the report and triggers the signal for the specific slot in the caller.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dan Carey
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted June 07, 2010 10:45 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, its a great idea.
IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted June 07, 2010 07:20 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok so everyone thinks it willbe in the remote, no problem with that..
Question: What if the callers partner takes a shot, will the censor pick up his report from the gun if he is below the area of the remote or even behind it 50 yds or so and shooting away from the direction of the remote or behind a side hill??? If not then the caller has to trigger his remote manualy when he should be getting his scope on a retreating coyote.. [Confused]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5062 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted June 07, 2010 07:36 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
The sensor is in the remote.
It has 5 sensitivity settings to select from.
It's a feature that you set when powering up the remote only if you want it.
The preset go-to sound of your choice can be set to whatever sound you have loaded on the unit.

If I'm the call operator and the shooter, this is a big advantage in many cases as I don't need to grab the remote after the shot and hit the preset myself.

If you don't need it there's no need to turn the feature on but it's there if you want it. Just like having 500 other sounds on your unit. They are there because it's just too cool a way to impress women after a few beers or so I've been told.

Before I had to pass my test unit to the next guy, I wanted so bad to change the FB preset to say "Your shooting SUCKS!"... but didn't.

Just make sure that when you turn the feature on that it has the preset sound you want otherwise if you miss that bear, it may cause it to come charging in faster.LOL

Yaeh sometimes I'm a little slow on getting on the yelp sounds whether electronic or with hand calls and sometimes letting the sound that brung you to the dance continue is the best bet. There's a lot of feature I haven't learned to use but this one I feel is a worthwhile one.

"The Clapper" was trademarked so FP couldn't use it. I wanted them to call it "Brain Fart Rectifier"

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jay Nistetter
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted June 07, 2010 07:45 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,
CRAP! What if, what if, what if.
What do you want pard? A guarantee the remote will work in a 5-gallon bucket of water?
I'm sure there will be situations when the pickup fails. Like when I'm in the wrong parking lot trying to locate my truck using the remoteless entry feature.
If it fails, either push the freaking button yourself or wait for your partner to holler for you to hit the preset.
Have you ever been stranded on an escallator when the power goes out?

And it's not a "censor"

--------------------

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted June 07, 2010 08:02 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
"Yes or no" it will work for the other shooter..

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 07, 2010 09:30 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
lololololo l

[ June 07, 2010, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jay Nistetter
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted June 07, 2010 10:46 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,
I did yell "BANG" once and it didn't work. Must not understand my Okie accent. Maybe FB will add voice recognition on their next unit.

If you have the remote in your hands and the other shooter fires, the sensor will pick up the report and change to your preset.

I personally didn't have the opportunity to test it if the shooter was 30 feet lower than the remote. Nor did I test it with the shooter on the other side of the hill. Nor did I test it wearing full camo.

The way I look at it if my partner is lower than me, I have the advantage. I'll know what's going on in advance and be able to work the coyote effectively. If he's on the other side of the hill, however, he's on his own and not a viable part of the team. I may switch sounds at an inopportune moment in time causing great anguish but hey... He chose to go maverick.

If you work together like most callers should then there shouldn't be any problems. The way I've always played the game is to let the coyote make the mistakes. If you do your part (as a team) then everything will be peachy.

I fully realize that there will be circumstances where two huters will be mis-positioned or too far apart, but don't go blaming Bush.

The test unit had 2 sensitivity settings on it. Since that time FP added 3 more (total 5) sensitivities to the unit to cover all bases without mishap. Road noise did not set off my unit. But I will add that I did not have any Harley drive by during testing.

In simple terms I will answer YES and urge you to go buy one. That way you can report back and I can play the "what if" game.

edit to add: Leonard... please change my profile to... Noob looking for peeps to show me the ropes and their hunting areas. Must have a decent ride.

[ June 07, 2010, 11:14 PM: Message edited by: Jay Nistetter ]

--------------------

Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted June 08, 2010 12:29 AM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,

I can see with your "pointing the speaker" theory that you don't understand one very important aspect of sound... it travels 360° from it's source (along the X, Y, and Z axes), regardless of which way that source (be it a rifle, a speaker, or your rambling yap) is pointed.

Granted, the day you find yourself hunting in a Mach 1 wind, you'll be able to say "nu uh" and I'll be wrong... I just hope to hell the wind is blowing east when it happens, so I don't have to hear you blather on about shit you know nothing about. [Roll Eyes]

Hmmm, looks like I owe my algebra teacher a beer, there actually is an everyday use for triplicate linear equations, go figure. [Razz]

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 08, 2010 12:36 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Jay, did I inadvertantly lock your profile, or perhaps in a pique of anger, intentionally do so? Let me know and "we" (Imperial) can possibly rectify the injustice.

Good hunting. LB

PS K, what the hell are you doing up so late on a school night?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Jay Nistetter
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted June 08, 2010 02:47 AM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it was quite unintentional actually.
Profiles change and grow tiresome. CCSI turned out to be a big bust as did Interview With A Coyote. I was going to delete lines 1 and 3 and add something cute about asking Jasmine at WeenoJack.com

--------------------

coyote whacker
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted June 08, 2010 04:33 AM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim I agree what is the point? When hunting with a partner you have the upper hand to begin with, if it works on a high sensitivty then so be it, but I'm sure fox bang was first and foremost for the loan caller and making it an advantage to them on multiples or even misses.

It will be something one can choose to use or not, just another great feature, one that has alot of merit and ol' Bill didn't think of it or I believe he would call it a bell and whistle LOL.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted June 08, 2010 06:30 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I can see with your "pointing the speaker" theory that you don't understand one very important aspect of sound... it travels 360° from it's source
Yes and No.
First off I have done abit of reading on the subject of sound travel and I also took a 3-day course on vibration of concrete. Both are very simular.
If you take youre caller and lay it on end so the speaker is faceing up then yes you will have sound 360 degrees that is equal in all directions. Example you stand 10 ft. in front of a gun when being fired and someone ten feet behind the gun when fired. Who's ears do you think will ring the most??
Sound waves travel just like ripples in the water if you would drop a rock in the water. If you increase the size of the rock or change its shape the ripples will be different. The ripples will be thicker or thinner, and spaced close together or far apart depending on weight and shape of the rock.. The same applys to a E-caller and what type and size of speaker you use and amount of volume and the sounds that you use... Depending on the size and shape of speaker you can also shape the sound on how it will come out and how the sounds waves travel.

Here is a visual example: Take three flash lites with 3 different size lite beams.
lets start with a flood beam, it dose'nt go very far but covers a large wide area a good example wouldbe a Dennis Kirk E-caller that uses a very large car stereo speaker. The sound from this caller only gets out there about a mile but it covers a wider area than the others.
Now take a medium beam flashlite thats not as wide but shines out a little farther an example would be one of those F-P flashlite type callers. Next wouldbe a spotlite beam which would be the WT and F-P clone of the WT. Both have more power (volume) than the other two and puts the sound out farther in front and covers a little more are than the F-P.
Depending on what calling sounds you use determins how far apart the sound wave willbe from the next and its thickness. A coyote bark for example will produce a thicker wave but will be spaced farther apart. A high pitched squeak or young cottontail will produce sound waves that are thinner and spaced closer together. Thats why some sounds work better on windy days and why some don't. With the last two callers mentioned the sound will travel farther than the first type of caller but the sound wave will also narrow down as it goes and will only be effective in a much smaller area and the louder caller will gain a little more distance over the other..
For sounds produced by other callers the F-P sounds seem to be on the higher pitch side which in turn would produce sound waves that are close together and thin (med.) The WT sounds all seem to run simular and they produce a farther spaceing but thicker waves, there are a few sounds I do have on mine that wouldbe simular to the F-P and noticed they work very well on calm days.. As the sound waves come out of a speaker they are pretty much equal till they get farther out then they weaken on the outer edges and not go as far but still stay strong through out the middle. I've played around with this quit abit and thats the reason why I broad-cast my sounds from side to side to cover more of a area and call in whats there..

--------------------

tlbradford
Rimfires are MAGIC on COYOTES! If you do your part
Member # 1232

Icon 1 posted June 08, 2010 08:21 AM      Profile for tlbradford   Email tlbradford         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim if you are really interested in broadcasting sound 360 degrees, I would submit that you are much better off leaving the ecaller in place and doing so with a hand call. Much less movement for the same effect. Since movement is probably the number one enemy for getting busted.

--------------------
"Dan Carey ain't that special" - LB

Posts: 423 | From: Spokane Valley, WA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted June 08, 2010 08:52 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
tlbradford; What little moument i make to broadcast the sound has'nt been that criticle. Its only done at the beginning of the stand and have no problems bringing them in by doing so. When a caller blowing on a hand call turns his head to do the same and if not wearing some sort of camo on his face is going to tip off a coyote more than me moveing a caller from side to side.
What I'm getting at is if you want more coyotes per stand or more productive stands is to broad-cast the sound more to cover a large area, less stands you have to make..
Also on a few boards I read where a coyote or two was spotted 5-600 yds or more out from a stand and the coyote or coyotes would'nt respond and just kept doing what ever it was they were doing.. I had simular happen before and on a recent hunt I had a pair of coyotes out about a mile or so and acted like they were'nt interested. So I picked up the caller and moved it slowly from side to side till I could see the coyotes react to the sound i was playing at the time. The lite breeze was out of the S-E and I had to position the caller a little more to the left and then they picked up on the sound and came in.

--------------------

Jay Nistetter
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted June 08, 2010 09:19 AM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
Which brings to mind the FOXPRO feature called Fox Fade. With this feature there is no need to hold the caller, ergo NO movement.

--------------------

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted June 08, 2010 10:42 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
"Which brings to mind the FOXPRO feature called Fox Fade. With this feature there is no need to hold the caller, ergo NO movement."
-------------------------------------
Uncle Jay,
Surely you wouldn't try to baffle a calling expert like TA17 with simple facts now would you?

Lord I apologize for posting that right up there, and please be with the starving pygmies down there in Africa--Amen

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted June 08, 2010 10:56 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
TA isn't going to become a FoxPro owner anyway so who gives a shit. He's a WT guy so there is no sense in trying to explain anything to him or waste the time typing anything. It's quite simple actually TA. WT doesn't have the feature so don't worry about who has the remote or if its going to work or not! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jay Nistetter
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted June 08, 2010 11:08 AM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
I understand but playing this game makes me feel waaayyy smarter than I actually am. Makes me feel like I went to college or something.

--------------------

Possumal
HONORARY CALLS FORUM MODERATOR edit: AND TOKEN LIBERAL
Member # 823

Icon 1 posted June 08, 2010 11:34 AM      Profile for Possumal   Author's Homepage   Email Possumal         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe he's spending too much time to listening to "Studio grade" sounds to think clearly.

--------------------
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Posts: 781 | From: Nicholasville, Ky. | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 08, 2010 11:39 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang, this thread has some hot info! It's going to the printer for when I write my book. It will be in the chapter about useless bullshit.

Jay, your account doesn't have any restrictions. Never did, near as I can determine? You can change anything in your signature, so quit making it look (insinuating) like I do evil (PM type) stuff!

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

coyote whacker
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted June 08, 2010 12:09 PM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard still fun messing with the WT faithful though when a guy gets a chance [Big Grin]

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters