The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » Opinions on GPS units

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Opinions on GPS units
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted May 28, 2010 09:53 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
My birthday is coming up next week and I am going to get some type of GPS as a present to me!

Any opinions on which ones are the best? Which ones do you guys have?

I have messed around with some cheaper Garmins. Am looking to mark trap locations and tree stand locations.

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 28, 2010 11:13 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Need to hear from AR Shaw, he has a jim dandy Garmin for your purpose. No color screen, just a gazillion waypoints and routes and a tracking feature, which is Xtremely important, certain places on the *********** .

Good huting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted May 28, 2010 12:21 PM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, that would be the 60 series Garmin. I have the 60CSx. I use mine trapping and hunting. Very very handy. Joel Hughes is the gps guru.

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted May 28, 2010 01:54 PM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, CJ--that one has a 4.6 out of 5 on Cabela's website!

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
Unofficial AGENT PROVOCATEUR
Member # 3471

Icon 1 posted May 28, 2010 09:56 PM      Profile for Briguy           Edit/Delete Post 
I also have the 60CSx. Got it a bit late in the season last year and really loved it. Good sized screen but not too big and bulky. Happened to get it as a package with the topo, so that helped. It did eat the batteries pretty quick until I figured out what funtions I could shut off and such, but after that, was in good shape.

There are also a couple overlay maps for it (that also work with other Garmin models, not unique to the 60CSx) that are pretty handy for some of my areas. One specifically is a land use overlay that tells me if it's BLM/State Trust/*********** /private land.

I also log my stands on Google Earth and it downloads all my information right to it.

Posts: 94 | From: El Desierto | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Joel Hughes
SPECIAL GUEST
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2010 11:51 AM      Profile for Joel Hughes           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, come on Leonard. Randy barely knows how to turn that thing on. And most of the waypoints I had to help him put on! LOL

After messing with quite a few handhelds, my advice to you is to get either the Garmin 60 Cx or the Garmin Legend HCx. The MAIN difference is cost, screen size, and barometric pressure. The HCx will probably be fine and save you a hundred bucks or so. I'd guess that it will do more than you will take the time to learn how to do on it. While you're at it, get a RAM mount with window suction cup mount. And get the cig plug. And you need to load TOPO on it. All can be found at gpscity. The best place to buy is gpscity.com. At least see their prices before you get screwed elsewhere.

Joel

Posts: 145 | From: texas | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2010 10:22 AM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
A bynch a few years ago I drew a Rocky Mtn. Bighorn Ram tag. Anyway, I left the camp set-up from one week to the next, it was pretty remote. My brother in-law and I started up the trail just before dark. I was getting nervous about finding the tent because I'd never really used a GPS. But that little yellow generic version took us right threw the forest in the dark to with-in about 30 feet of the camp. I still know very little about the units but even the most generic ones are super helpful for marking way points.

How do the better versions fare in the forest? I think the little yellow Garmin I've got only tracks 8 satellites - I think? It has real difficulty in areas with tall trees.

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
Unofficial AGENT PROVOCATEUR
Member # 3471

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2010 11:35 AM      Profile for Briguy           Edit/Delete Post 
Loco, the new one's are much more sensative to picking up the satellites. I haven't had mine out in deep woods, but it works in the house, so I wouldn't be nervous about it working in the woods.
Posts: 94 | From: El Desierto | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters