The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » Two Piece JC Reed Predator calls

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Two Piece JC Reed Predator calls
ninthinning
Knows what it's all about
Member # 900

Icon 1 posted October 29, 2007 09:52 PM      Profile for ninthinning           Edit/Delete Post 
Here are four JC reed calls I made recently. They are pink ivory, snakewood, moose antler and snakewood. These calls are designed to make changing reeds without tools easy.

-

-

-
Changing JC reeds is easy and can be done without tools.

--------------------
Their horses are swifter than leopards, fiercer than wolves at dusk - Habakkuk 1:8

Posts: 67 | From: Colden | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted October 29, 2007 10:49 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, those are extremely nice calls. I really like the snakewood. I've never heard of it before.
IP: Logged
ninthinning
Member # 900

Icon 1 posted October 30, 2007 04:13 AM      Profile for ninthinning           Edit/Delete Post 
Rich,
Snakewood is the hardest of all woods, comes from South America. Here is a post on another board where I spin a moose antler call:
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=52648609&an=0&page=0#52648609

Thank you,
Eric

[ October 30, 2007, 04:19 AM: Message edited by: ninthinning ]

--------------------
Their horses are swifter than leopards, fiercer than wolves at dusk - Habakkuk 1:8

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted October 30, 2007 07:18 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for sharing that, Eric.
I didn't have a clue.

csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted October 30, 2007 01:17 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
9th, isn't snake wood suuuuuuuuper expensive? From reading here and there it is highly desirable because of it's hardness and ease of turning.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 30, 2007 01:47 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
So, snakewood is noticably harder than ebony or ironwood?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ninthinning
Member # 900

Icon 1 posted November 01, 2007 12:30 PM      Profile for ninthinning           Edit/Delete Post 
Snakewood cost about $13 lb in log form and $375 board foot in highest grades. I buy most of my wood in Olean, NY at West Penn Hardwoods. They have some of the rarest most beautiful wood in the world. One burl that stood out was an amboyna burl that grew underwater, this wood was $45 per pound. I buy a little of everything and experiment a lot. My favorite woods for call making are bloodwood, snakewood and American black walnut. One of the most expensive materials turns out to be high grade moose antler. Snakewood is harder than ironwood and ebony. If I had an elephants tusk I would make it into game calls.

--------------------

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 02, 2007 06:48 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang... Those have to be some of the best looking enclosed reed calls I've ever seen. Very nice.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ninthinning
Member # 900

Icon 1 posted November 11, 2007 06:05 AM      Profile for ninthinning           Edit/Delete Post 
The moose antler is being auctioned so Krusty can stuff his coyote.

http://www.huntmastersbbs.com/cgi/cgi-ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=001762

Thank you for looking  -

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters