The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » Subtle?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Subtle?
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 12 posted September 21, 2007 11:23 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Several people have mentioned the "subtle recurve" in the bottom side of the toneboard on the calls I make.

I'm always surprised by that, because there's actually a lot of material missing. [Wink]

I was working on a small cylindrical call the other night, and thought it would make a perfect example.

The top of the toneboard is completed, and tuned, before the groove is made for the band, the recurve is the final step.
In these two photos you can see before, and after, I sculpted the mouthpiece.

Before;
 -

After;
 -

It can take 20-40 minutes to do just this one step.

It's one of my favorite parts of making a call, at a certain point, when the toneboard gets thin enough, it starts to resonate with the vibration of the sanding roll grinding away at it, and the whole call comes alive in my hand, with a high pitched ringing.

As you can also see from the photos, it turns the call from clunky and unfinished looking, to sleek and refined.

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 22, 2007 12:05 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly, like the difference between me and ? Cdog?

Lord, I apologize for that,and be with the pigmies, okay?

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ninthinning
Knows what it's all about
Member # 900

Icon 1 posted September 22, 2007 06:34 AM      Profile for ninthinning           Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice explanation of your technique and the results. That part about the call coming to life rings true and resonates with me. Great job.
9th

--------------------
Their horses are swifter than leopards, fiercer than wolves at dusk - Habakkuk 1:8

Posts: 67 | From: Colden | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted September 28, 2007 08:15 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty; Did you get the envelope with the pictures & stuff yet??

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted September 28, 2007 08:41 AM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Kokopelli,

I did. It's been cold and wet here, so my finishing process has been slowed considerably.

I should be shipping several calls, today.

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted September 28, 2007 01:19 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Not a problem.......just wondering.

Thanx.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted September 28, 2007 09:20 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
It does go from "just another call" to a Krier with that one step. Undoubtedly, the slightly over or under extended bell and that toneboard are your signature. It's great to see the transformation process thru pics. [Smile]
IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 05, 2007 06:35 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty; Got it in the mail yesterday. It's a sweet little unit. Thanx!!!!

--------------------

The Outdoor Tripp
Knows what it's all about
Member # 619

Icon 1 posted October 05, 2007 05:07 PM      Profile for The Outdoor Tripp   Author's Homepage   Email The Outdoor Tripp         Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty,

What is the sound/tone difference between your short and long model?

--------------------
The Outdoor Tripp
www.theoutdoortripp.com
"All great truths begin as blasphemies."

Posts: 805 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted October 05, 2007 08:30 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Kokopelli,

I knew when you asked, that was the call for you.
I'm glad you like it.

Tripp,

The difference in the sound is, in a shorter body the sound is more "projected".
More like a speaker, a very "bright" sound is blasted in all directions.

In a longer bodied call the sound is more "tubular".
The volume is subdued a bit, especially on the backside of the call.

The tone, and range, are a function of the reed and toneboard, respectively.

The "shape" of a call is mostly about aesthetics and ergonomics, and not about sound, in my opinion.

Krusty  -

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters