The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » Worked outside yesterday

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Worked outside yesterday
ninthinning
Knows what it's all about
Member # 900

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2007 08:43 AM      Profile for ninthinning           Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday was a fine day. Started with antlers and horns and tusks that smell pretty bad when cut and sanded in confined spaces. Set up a little band saw and belt sander and dremel outside on my deck then went to work. The antler call was inspired by an Arky call I own. The antler is both an open reed call and a closed JC reed call. The ivory tone board in the bison horn was cut freehand on a band saw, like Rich Cronk does it.

-

-

-

-

-

-

[ July 29, 2007, 09:02 AM: Message edited by: ninthinning ]

--------------------
Their horses are swifter than leopards, fiercer than wolves at dusk - Habakkuk 1:8

Posts: 67 | From: Colden | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Norm
Member # 240

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2007 11:15 AM      Profile for Norm   Email Norm         Edit/Delete Post 
beautiful...

I would be very interested in the antler open&closed reed if it is for sale.

--------------------
Carpe Diem

Posts: 778 | From: Phx AZ | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
ninthinning
Member # 900

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2007 11:51 AM      Profile for ninthinning           Edit/Delete Post 
Norm,
I polished one side to do some practice scrimshaw. If you want I can make another like it. I'll post another picture when the scrimshaw is done.
Thank you,
Eric

--------------------
Their horses are swifter than leopards, fiercer than wolves at dusk - Habakkuk 1:8

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2007 11:53 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's an interesting piece.

9th, you need to take better care of your tools. [Smile]

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2007 12:38 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,

The first thing that went though my mind when I saw his file and wrench was that he must have teenaged boys also.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2007 01:16 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I remember that crap!

One time, my brother-in-law comes over with a saw and a pair of lineman pliers, and asks me if these rusty things belong to me. Well, yeah?

He said he found them buried in his back yard, inside a "fort" the boys had made out of plywood, built with about (no exaggeration) 5,000 of my pop rivets, used as nails.

Then, there was the time they had an urgent use for several planks of beautiful Honduran Mohogany they found stored up in the rafters.

But, I digress. I'm just worried what his guns look like? (just kidding)

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ninthinning
Member # 900

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2007 03:14 PM      Profile for ninthinning           Edit/Delete Post 
A little WD 40 and they're as good a new. Looked worse than is was. Very wet environment here in Western NY, seems everything gets rusty. Even the night air is wet. Not teenage boys, me.

Norm, Here are some antlers that you can pick from. The one next to the call has all the same dimensions as the first call. Boards are 5" for scale.
9th

-

-

[ July 29, 2007, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: ninthinning ]

--------------------

ninthinning
Member # 900

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2007 05:14 PM      Profile for ninthinning           Edit/Delete Post 
Norm, Thank you. 9th

[ August 04, 2007, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: ninthinning ]

--------------------

Norm
Member # 240

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2007 06:59 PM      Profile for Norm   Email Norm         Edit/Delete Post 
How about the 3rd one to the right of the call. (in the first picture) That looks like a good one.

Thanks....

--------------------
Carpe Diem

ninthinning
Member # 900

Icon 1 posted August 02, 2007 03:27 PM      Profile for ninthinning           Edit/Delete Post 
Had time to rough out these calls. Started with six antlers. Threw three away. The best three antlers came out good.

-

[ August 04, 2007, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: ninthinning ]

--------------------

ninthinning
Member # 900

Icon 1 posted August 04, 2007 04:16 PM      Profile for ninthinning           Edit/Delete Post 
Norm, your call came out good. 9th

-

-

Thank you,
9th

[ August 07, 2007, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: ninthinning ]

--------------------

Norm
Member # 240

Icon 1 posted August 04, 2007 08:22 PM      Profile for Norm   Email Norm         Edit/Delete Post 
beautiful.... send me an e-mail with an address to send the funds to...

My address should be in the profile here...

--------------------
Carpe Diem

Norm
Member # 240

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2007 05:12 PM      Profile for Norm   Email Norm         Edit/Delete Post 
9th, I received the calls... beautiful... and they sound wonderful.... can't wait to get them out into the field... my wife and niece are hoping I take them outside soon as well.

Thank you sir...

--------------------
Carpe Diem

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters