The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » What I got:

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What I got:
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted June 28, 2007 10:08 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the calls I currently have "in stock";

A hickory call, made from a sledge hammer handle;

-

A "fancy" figured maple burl call;

-
 -

And two sets, a predator call and a turkey striker, in each.

One in cherry, and cherry. I had made these to go with my slate pot;

-

-

And one in bloodwood, and bloodwood/holly (this little call may be the most perfect call I ever made);

-

-

Thanks,

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
bowjunkie
Knows what it's all about
Member # 887

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 06:43 AM      Profile for bowjunkie           Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty, man those are sweet I'll take the bloodwood and the maple email me the particulars

thanks Ed

eray1960@hotmail.com

Posts: 35 | From: the high mountians | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
ninthinning
Member # 900

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 07:43 AM      Profile for ninthinning           Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty,
Bloodwood may be the best wood for making predator calls. The Oboe is made from bloodwood and the entire orchestra tunes to the oboe. I love bloodwood. It is very heavy compared to the other red woods.

bowjunkie, Good catch, I think Krusty invented the double reed predator call. The double reed is common in duck calls but Krusty's was the first I saw in an open reed predator call.

9th

[ June 29, 2007, 07:45 AM: Message edited by: ninthinning ]

--------------------
Their horses are swifter than leopards, fiercer than wolves at dusk - Habakkuk 1:8

Posts: 67 | From: Colden | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bofire
READ MY LIPS!
Member # 221

Icon 6 posted June 29, 2007 07:51 AM      Profile for Bofire   Author's Homepage   Email Bofire         Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely beautiful, Jeff. Your skills continue to grow.
Carl

Posts: 322 | From: Wild West | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 08:29 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice.

The call you made me is one of my favorites, if not "the favorite" all around call I have used.

I wish I would have seen this quicker, I would have tried to buy that maple call. Thats beautiful and I would like to try a double reed.

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 09:42 AM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Bowjunkie,

E-mail sent. [Wink]

Ninthinning,

I've heard that about the oboe before, that the orchestra tunes to it. I have to wonder if that's because of the wood it's made from, or the reed?

The lower a frequency, the easier it is to tell if it is in pitch. That's why you tune the low E on a guitar, then tune the rest of the strings off of it.
Is the oboe used because of it's clarity of tone, and richness of sound (produced by the wood), or because it's the lowest octave in the band?

You are right though, it is dense wood, and that's good for making calls.
Another redish colored wood I really liked, is goncalo alves.
I made a call from it, that was the one other call that I ever made, that I might have said was "perfect".

My brother's dog, if anyone, gets the credit for the first double reed predator call I know of.
He got the voice out of my P.S. Olt D-15 duck call, and chewed dents into the reedset.

I had purchased a CritR Call reed material pack from APC, and I tried to fix the duck call.
What I came out of it with was like a Knight & Hale closed reed coyote howler. Which was worthless.
But the idea was born.

Tom Talker also used the double reeds starting around (or before) when I did, but I didn't know it, so I didn't consciously or unconsciously take the idea from him.

Did you know the oboe has a double reed?

Carl,

Thanks.

Andy,

We'll see if Bowjunkie still wants the maple call, after he sees the price.

I've had two collectors cough at the price, but I am dead set firm on it.

The call is absolutely beautiful, the "lumpy" nature of the figured wood makes it hard to do the type of work I do, and the burl made the wood hard as a rock so I have a lot of hours into it.

And I really want to keep it, so it's going to take enough dough to literally pry it out of my hands.

You're not just buying "a call" from me, you'd be buying MY call.
This is the only one, that wasn't a second, that I have ever kept. [Smile]

This maple call was first posted in early April, as were the hickory and cherry calls, in a thread called "Eye Candy".
It's too bad you didn't see it then.

Send me your shipping address, I'll send you one of the strikers I made, for your boy.

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
JD
HONORARY OKIE .... and Tim's at fault!
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 11:09 AM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
Dang, I`m always too late on these threads. [Smile]

After getting my hands on that maple call you sent me I think I need another & I`ve got a buddy who stumbled across that call on my office desk & promptly decided that he was impressed also.

If Bowjunkie doesn`t take those 2 calls, I will.

--------------------
Jason
--------------------------------------

What do Obama & TA17Rem have in common........both are clueless asshats!!!

Posts: 1456 | From: NE. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 02:01 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I guess if Bowshooter and JD dont take them, I would like a shot....

Actually, Krusty, if you make a double reed that sounds good, but you cant sell that good for any reason, a work horse so to speak, Im good with that. I just want another call.

Its not going on a mantle.

--------------------
Andy

Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 02:21 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Andy,

How did you get a call from me, that didn't have a double reed?
Is the one I did make you, stuck on a mantle? [Eek!]
That's just wrong.

They don't get much more "work horse" than a call made from a hammer... I'll e-mail you with the details. [Wink]

Krusty  -

--------------------

Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 02:53 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Your calls not on a mantle. Like I said, as far as being versitle, its great. If I have to have just one, or run out to play with the locals in the back yard, its my choice.

Distress, puppy sounds, howls, barks, it does it all. Thats why I want another.

--------------------
Andy

bowjunkie
Member # 887

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 03:29 PM      Profile for bowjunkie           Edit/Delete Post 
well ya'll can quit drooling Krusty I'll take em send me an addy and I'll get the mo out tomorrow

Thanks Ed

Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 05:49 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Bowjunkie,

Address sent.

JD,

E-mail sent.

Andy,

Yadda yadda, e-mail sent. [Wink]

Pending final details, and payment, that's all of them. [Big Grin]

Bowjunkie gets the maple burl and the "spectacular set", JD the cherry/cherry set, and Andy the work horse (and a turkey striker for the boy).

When I jump in my little truck (after WE buy the pistons) and zip out to the woods, you guys will be riding with me, in spirit.

Thanks.

Krusty  -

--------------------

bowjunkie
Member # 887

Icon 1 posted July 01, 2007 06:03 AM      Profile for bowjunkie           Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty , the funds went out yesterday ya should get em before the end of the week

thanks Ed

ninthinning
Member # 900

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2007 01:12 PM      Profile for ninthinning           Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty,
Thanks for the big assortment of reed materials. Very kind of you.
9th

--------------------
Their horses are swifter than leopards, fiercer than wolves at dusk - Habakkuk 1:8

Posts: 67 | From: Colden | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2007 01:44 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! free reed material? I need some. 3-4 maybe?

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
bowjunkie
Member # 887

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2007 02:24 PM      Profile for bowjunkie           Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty, got my calls today and all I can say is WOW these are fantastic [Smile]

thanks again
Ed

Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2007 02:35 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Ninthinning,

You're welcome, if you are going to play with the double-stacked reeds, I figured you should try it with an assortment of materials and thicknesses.

I've got a piece of bloodwood on the shelf, ready to make you a call, when I get done with my motor.

Leonard,

Yeah I have always offered a free sample pack of reed material.

When I first started playing with calls, one of the hardest things, was coming up with good reed material.
Many of my earliest calls were made with styrene packaging material reeds. These eventually lost their spring, and went dead.

Then I found a source for large pieces of sheet material (2' x 4' and 5'), so I supply some of the other call makers with material at a cost, and give the smaller "scrap" pieces to callers to keep their calls running.

It's a little public service that has brought me a lot of satisfaction.
More times than I can remember, someone brought and old call back to life, of made a hard to use call better.

Every once in a while, somebody who got a free sample will send five or ten bucks my way, and buy enough for call making.

I have;
Lexan, in .010" and .015".
Polyvinyl in the same .010" and .015" as well as a limited amount of .020" (that some of the guys are using on their wolf howlers).
And a clear Mylar, in .015" that is basically the same as the tan mylar, but see through.

If the return address on the tube you sent me is still good, I'll send a sample of everything but the .020" polyvinyl.

Krusty  -

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2007 03:44 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
K, the call you made for me has two reeds, .008 and .012. I tried to take them apart and the thin one broke at the glued bend. To me they look like styrene?

But, I think I am looking for 15, maybe even 20 thou? Maybe a small piece of the 12 if you have it? I only need enough for one reed, or so? I don't need to make a half a dozen. I'm not real keen on the double reed. That is what I was trying to do when I broke it. Maybe a couple bands?

Yes, same address, been here almost 32 years.

Thanks, LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2007 04:11 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Ed,

I missed your post while I was writing, I'm glad you like what you got.

Leonard,

Yeah something just off .010" and .015" sounds like it might be the styrene.

Not everybody is "keen" on the double reeds, same thing holds true of duck calls.
I don't take it personally. [Smile]

I'll send some reed materials your way.

Krusty  -

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters