The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » Summer Ivory, The Beauty and the Beast

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Summer Ivory, The Beauty and the Beast
ninthinning
Knows what it's all about
Member # 900

Icon 1 posted May 28, 2007 08:47 AM      Profile for ninthinning           Edit/Delete Post 
No hunting in New York for a few months. Learning how to scrimshaw. This is my favorite animal call with a little cave man art.

-
The beast.

-
 -
 -
 -

--------------------
Their horses are swifter than leopards, fiercer than wolves at dusk - Habakkuk 1:8

Posts: 67 | From: Colden | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted May 28, 2007 09:21 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Beautiful!!

I've always wondered about making things like that, but know that I've never been good with fine details.

But I sure do love to see the work that others can do!

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 31, 2007 12:42 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I had two sets of warthog tusks and an ostrich egg in my luggage, confiscated by US Customs, returning from safari. Unknown to me, I was required to go through a broker, which I still could have done, but it sure smacked of "broker welfare" to me so I told them to shove, I mean, take them.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ninthinning
Member # 900

Icon 1 posted May 31, 2007 04:44 PM      Profile for ninthinning           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,
These are practice, I should subtract $20 from the price of each call. Some of the other call makers really are great artists, they intimidate me with their talent. Wart hog tusk is pure ivory and perfectly legal. Takes two or three hours to make but always takes days to get just right.

Leonard,
That's a real shame. There was no legitimate reason for that. Wart hogs are abundant and unprotected.

I am trying to make a call to carry when you only carry one call. This one does duck, elk, rabbit, the new chirps, loud howls, peacock, most prey in distress and today my son and I were using one to locate gobblers.

Great site you have here, thanks for letting me post.
9th

--------------------
Their horses are swifter than leopards, fiercer than wolves at dusk - Habakkuk 1:8

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted June 05, 2007 06:55 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Eric, I received the calls today. I need your phone number. I really do want to talk to you.
IP: Logged
RagnCajn
ADDS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted June 05, 2007 08:16 PM      Profile for RagnCajn   Email RagnCajn         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Eric. I bought a snakewood turkey pot from Eric last year. This thing was pretty. It had a copper plate under a glass plate and the sound was crisp. I put it up in my shop and went to pull it out before turkey season. The wood had warped and cracked. this is the nature of wood and I understood that. I sent Eric a message telling him to build me another and let me know how much it would be. He would have nothing to do with it. Said to send it back and he would take care of it. I sent it back and about two weeks later I got a package in the mail. It was a new snakewood pot with two new strikers and an exotic horn howler added for my inconvenience. No charge. Eric, I am interested in one of those warthog tusks. Can you engrave an aligator on one for me?
Posts: 362 | From: Shreveport LA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
ninthinning
Member # 900

Icon 1 posted June 06, 2007 07:48 AM      Profile for ninthinning           Edit/Delete Post 
RagnCajn,
I'll make one with an alligator. Still practicing and look forward to scrimshawing something new. As I said above its more towards the caveman end of the art scale.
Thank you,
9th

--------------------

RagnCajn
ADDS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted June 06, 2007 06:55 PM      Profile for RagnCajn   Email RagnCajn         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds good. Let me know when it is ready. Thanks
Posts: 362 | From: Shreveport LA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters