The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » Eye Candy (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Eye Candy
JD
HONORARY OKIE .... and Tim's at fault!
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2007 05:26 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
When I got home tonight I saw the package on the counter & what could it be you ask, why it`s my new maple Krusty Krier, damndest little call I ever did see!! Sounds like a million bucks too! Good range, plenty of rasp if you need it & a spare reed to boot.

Thanks Crusty, I appreciate the quick service & the quality of your work.

btw.....I like the shape, the pics didn`t do it justice, I`m very pleased.

--------------------
Jason
--------------------------------------

What do Obama & TA17Rem have in common........both are clueless asshats!!!

Posts: 1456 | From: NE. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2007 10:08 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man, I forgot about lanyards. [Frown]

I also went and picked up a new bag of bands, the ones I have are pretty old (some are weak and cracking).

I'll send replacement bands to you first few guys, along with a (simple knotted) two call lanyard.

9th,

Dude, this is like pulling teeth. [Smile] You gotta tell me what you want, or at least gimme a hint?

Tim,

Nope, that's not what shape it is. [Razz]

That's what I like about you though, I always understand where you're comin' from.

Smithers,

When I read what you wanted in a call, I didn't have much to say, I figured the call that was already on it's way to your house would speak for itself.
I'm glad it made it safe and sound, and that you like it.

JD,

Thanks.

The double stacked reed is the darnedest thing eh?
It's been popular in duck calls for decades, and in closed reed calls for nearly as long, I can't believe it didn't crossover (to open reed calls) long ago.

It's certainly not my idea, but it is a good one.

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
brad h
Knows what it's all about
Member # 57

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2007 10:50 PM      Profile for brad h   Email brad h         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey K,

Beautiful work! I pleased to see you're still at it.

I've put down a lot of coyotes with a lot of custom calls and I still remember in detail the one that bit on the call I used that you built.

Good to see you're still on track callwise. If you ever want give anymore Juniper a run let me know.

Brad

[ April 25, 2007, 10:51 PM: Message edited by: brad h ]

Posts: 346 | From: Glendive MT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ninthinning
Member # 900

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2007 05:25 AM      Profile for ninthinning           Edit/Delete Post 
How do I contact you?

--------------------
Their horses are swifter than leopards, fiercer than wolves at dusk - Habakkuk 1:8

Posts: 67 | From: Colden | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2007 09:42 AM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

I have a rosewood call for you, I was able to get two out of the piece of wood you sent.
I used a polyurethane finish, and it won't dry, I think I am gonna have to strip it off and start over.

I haven't tried using the juniper yet. But I am using some of the "exotic" woods you and other people have sent me

9th,

Umm you just did, in this thread. [Razz]

You can contact me by e-mail, if you want to keep it "off the boards".
I'm also in the phone book, so you wouldn't be the first guy to call me out of the blue.

On the top of this post is my e-mail link, and it's listed in my profile.

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2007 07:09 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty,

I finally got to the Post Office today.

Wow! You do some great work!

It's been to windy to take it out and try it on a coyote, but it sure scares the hell out of my wife's cat! [Wink]

And the little stretcher board is just too cool! It looks just the right size for these little ground squirrels that run around here. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted May 07, 2007 01:23 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,

I'm glad you like the call, and the lil' stretcher board.

Dang thing better not scare coyotes. [Wink]
It's made from the mesquite you sent me, I really like that wood.
I made a few more of the "quarter round" shaped calls from mesquite, but your's is the most unique.

I used a dark walnut stain, to give it that dirty antique look, the lighter wood was way too bright and yellow.

I've got more of those stretcher boards, I'll send you a few, if you wanted to actually stretch critters on 'em. [Wink]

JD & Smithers,

Sorry about the delay on the fresh bands and lanyards... the Post Office sent them back for more postage, because they weren't "flat".
One of them (Smithers') just went back out today.

Krusty  -

--------------------

csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted May 09, 2007 06:27 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty, I appreciate the offer of a 'fresh' band and lanyard.
The band that is on the call looks fine but you never know.
The Post Office wants every penny they can get. If a parcel is over by an ounce or too bulky for an envelope, they will send your parcel back. It amazes me sometimes how finicky they are.

IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2007 03:53 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty, as you know I have a few of your calls. But the post from Geo, Ackley really has me intrigued. With George's permission, I would love to have you make a duplicate of his call for me. If he says OK, wouldja/couldja do it?
Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2007 03:17 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
NASA,

I had told George I wouldn't duplicate his call, but it is a great design...
If Big George says it's okay, I'll give it a shot.

It actually was a difficult call to make, and the first attempt ended up in the smoker. [Big Grin]
Getting the two closed reed sleeves in place with just hand tools was sheer luck. [Smile]
And the call ended up fairly long and large, to not make it look "portly".

What's funny is, I did not like the sound of that call.
It was really loud, and the two voices were just out of tune enough that it drove me crazy.
But I don't like the sound of the double barrel Burnham's, that this call was styled after, for pretty much the same reasons.

The big hollow hardwood body did give George's call a rich tone, that a plastic call can't match.
And his results using it can't be argued, it suits him perfectly.

It cannot be said too often, the sound you make, and the call you make it with, has little to do with ultimate success or failure.

Krusty  -

--------------------

NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted July 15, 2007 11:40 AM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, generous George has blessed the duplication of his call. Jeff, I hope you remember all the details of how you tuned that call for Geo. This will be a great addition to my lanyard.
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted July 15, 2007 11:54 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It cannot be said too often, the sound you make, and the call you make it with, has little to do with ultimate success or failure.
Krusty, there is another subject that will generate a good thread if you post it.
IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted July 15, 2007 12:01 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
NASA,

That's mighty nice of George. [Smile]

I got your e-mail, and I went out and got started on your call the other night.

I'm currently out of reeds.

Think about the voice... do you want high pitched or low, and do you want two of the same voices or a mix?
George's call is "stereo", high pitched cottontail.

Krusty  -

--------------------

Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted July 15, 2007 12:10 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich,

I thought that's what the other thread I started WAS about... isn't that the original quote (of myself) that I messed up?

Krusty  -

--------------------

NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted July 15, 2007 01:02 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty, I'll be using the call mostly for cats. I'm guessing a mix of high pitched sounds should be productive. Especially if they can be played individually as well as in concert. That would give me a range of three pitches.

I can't wait to try it out on the local kitties. [Big Grin]

Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted July 18, 2007 12:37 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich,

From now on, when you want a discussion started, do it yourself. [Smile]
That way I won't have to get pissed off, when it becomes "about me".

You know where you want to go with that quote, and I don't.
Be my guest. (*and I mean that in the nicest way)

NASA,

I have the call body all done.

I don't like it, just like George's call, it's fat, and blocky, and ugly... not a "flowing" artistic creation.
Top that with a crack I found deep inside the wood, after roughing out the body and spending a fair bit of time on it.
I stabilized it with superglue and completed it, but I fully consider the call a "second".

We're going to have to order some reeds.

In a given reed selection, there is still a fair amount of pitch variance.
I could make you a "harmonica" with a handful of the same reeds.

Here's the deal... you order 12 reeds (LVDR-002) from THOgamecalls.com, I'll sort through and put two of them in this call, giving it three separate voices, and send it your way.

And then I can bring some of my closed reed calls back from the dead, with the remaining reeds.
Right now, they're just pea shooters. [Wink]

Krusty  -

--------------------

NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted July 18, 2007 03:16 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Reeds forthcoming, as soon as I hear back from Al. Verifying stock on hand. A 2nd, huh? Not to worry. If it does the job, that's really all that matters. Thanks.
Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted July 18, 2007 06:09 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
NASA,

You have my 26th Ave address? (*As opposed to my 22nd Ave address, of a few years back)

Here's a scan of your call, and a Circé 3n1.

-

It's squished vertically, not horizontally like George's
That was in an attempt to do away with the worst part of the crack(s), which appear as black lines in this angle.

-

The crack should pose no problems, I solidly filled them , and left the body a little thick.

As always, the calls I make are covered by the conditional warranty... the only condition is, you do not break the finish in an attempt to modify the call.
Otherwise I will fix or repair, replace, or buy back, any call anyone ever has a problem with.

It's not something I want to do as a general practice, but I have replaced a call eaten by a dog, one a gun case was dropped on and broken, and even one that got lost.

To anyone who has one of my calls, purchased directly from me or not;
Please take advantage of this, and if you have a problem, tell me.

Krusty  -

--------------------

NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted July 18, 2007 09:07 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, everything's a go and the reeds will be in the mail tomorrow.

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters