The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » Hearing Protection & Enhancement

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hearing Protection & Enhancement
WhiteMtnCur
Knows what it's all about
Member # 5

Icon 1 posted February 26, 2005 12:31 PM      Profile for WhiteMtnCur   Author's Homepage   Email WhiteMtnCur         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been wanting to start wearing a pair of the hunting ear muffs that enhance sounds below a certain decibel level and mute or "compress" them above that level. I've looked at numerous models that claim a lot but am leery I'll end up with a pair that enhances wind noise, making them useless.

Does anyone have any experience hunting with any of these? Are there any good models out there that really do work well and don't enhance wind noises?

Thanks.

Posts: 97 | From: Nevada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted February 26, 2005 01:48 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought and tried both the Peltor Tac 6's and the Remington brand (R2000?). Didn't like either one for field use. The wind noise was a big part of it, but also just the discomfort and general clunky feeling. You, or someone else might try the same units and like them a lot better than I did. Or, there may be better units to try. But for me, these were a no-go.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 27, 2005 11:03 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
There is the solution I'm using these days. particularly because of my hearing loss, I have a couple of the new digital hearing aids.

They can be programed for your particular situation, and they can also have a program for particular circumstances, such as windy conditions. Actually, I have two programs installed, right now that are useful for hunting. One is an across the board 6dB reduction in my personal amplification, specifically for shooting at the range. The other is called "traffic conditions" while driving, but it mutes the background wind noise.

I have another selectable program that increases the amplification by 6dB, so you can see that I'm on the same wavelength as Trevor and Dave.

These things are a lot more money than ear muff systems, and I certainly wouldn't consider them unless you really have profound hearing loss, as I do. But, if money is no object, they will do the job.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Byron South
Knows what it's all about
Member # 213

Icon 1 posted February 27, 2005 11:11 AM      Profile for Byron South   Author's Homepage   Email Byron South         Edit/Delete Post 
I've recently been using the Walkers quad muffs. They offer surround sound that is great. They take some time to get used to, but I'm beginning to like them alot. Through the years I've done to much shooting without ear proitection and my hearing has badly suffered. I guide hunters and do quite a bit of filming and some how end up to close to the muzzle of my client or shooters on occation. The muffs are great for this and being able to hear a mouse fart at 200 yards is kinda neat. The downside is that they do enhance wind noise as well but not bad. The Walkers have a frequency adjudstment that you can adjust to minimize it to some degree. They are adjustable and it takes time to learn to get used to how to adjust them, but I would definately recomend them. The Walkers also cancel out the harful noises.

[ February 27, 2005, 11:13 AM: Message edited by: Byron South ]

--------------------
"Coming to the Call" predator hunting videos. Volumes I, II, III and IV. Order two or more and pay no S&H www.comingtothecall.com

Posts: 313 | From: Texas | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters