The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » the price of custom calls?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: the price of custom calls?
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 5 posted July 21, 2004 05:27 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just curious.

I have noticed that some goose and duck calls command a very high price, compared to predator calls.

I don't hunt waterfowl. What's the reason? Is it craftsmanship, or tone, or what? Popularity of those sports vs. coyote hunting? Are you paying because somebody won a duck calling contest and therefore his calls cost a lot more?

Straight, pound for pound, seems like custom predator calls are more reasonably priced?

Any ideas?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
brad h
Knows what it's all about
Member # 57

Icon 1 posted July 21, 2004 06:00 PM      Profile for brad h   Email brad h         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't duck hunt either, but it seems to me like duck hunting is the "golf course" of the general hunting community, kind of a white collar thing. I know a few of our recent presidents duck hunted. When was the last time a president of our country called in and dusted a coyote? I'll bet it's been a while.
Just based on the popularity comparisons I'm sure there's a lot of people with a lot of money who will spare no expense to leave the city for a week of duck hunting. Weather or not the quality excedes that of predator customs, I really don't know. I've noticed custom turkey calls kinda fall along the line of the duck prices as well, and there's no limit to what you can pay for a production shotgun.

Brad

Posts: 346 | From: Glendive MT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted July 21, 2004 06:35 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
How refreshing! Someone that isn't complaining about why I charge what I charge. [Smile]

Maybe it's because we're nicer people?

Honestly, I think that waterfowling and turkey hunting have both been at the high end of the popularity curve nationally for a long time, whereas predator calling is just now getting any attention. Think about it... until just the last two years, ou never saw an article in the big name mags about calling coyotes. Now, they all have a coyote on their front cover at least once a year. I have often said that calling coyotes will be the next "bowhunting" in this country and that for once, I'm finally in on something before it's fishbreathing and gasping its last dying breaths.

As calling catches on more and more, and I mean generally across the country as opposed to the SW where it's been popular for years, and demand grows, the prices that customers are willing to pay will advance as well. Better stock up now while the prices are still good.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tackdriver
Member # 203

Icon 1 posted July 22, 2004 05:59 PM      Profile for Tackdriver   Email Tackdriver         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,
I am with you.
I am just starting out in waterfowling, and as AZ is a no-electronics state, have, just one set of mouth calls, and they seem fine to me.

One thing I have noticed about the duck calls is a lot of them are re-sold under different names, and maybe with a slightly different color or reed, but basically you are paying for the brand, and the knowledge that you will have good service.
Browning sells some calls that fit this profile.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 22, 2004 08:25 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, that's true, Tack.

Reminds me, my Orvis Hunting Catalog arrived today. Had a couple of jim dandy calls priced at $159.

Wouldn't want to get one of those scratched, let alone, (gulp) wet!

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted July 23, 2004 01:39 PM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Today's Duck calls are strictly a ego trip. I was fortunate to be able to hunt some of the best Duck leases in South West Louisiana during the late 60's till 1985. The days of lead shot , And ten bird limits.

Trust me when I say I have shared duck blinds with some of the finest Duck callers there is. Not a single man blew a call that cost more than $12.00. Many were home made from cain.

The price of some of today's Duck calls make me laugh. They are for the yuppie ducky crowd.

On the flip side I think some of today's custom predator calls are way under priced. Think of what a good machinist are welder will charge per hour to do a job.

Ronnie

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted July 23, 2004 05:41 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Varmit Hunter, yuppy type prices. I will gladly pay for quality but dang, some of those things are priced sky high.

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted July 23, 2004 07:26 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm lucky to own quite a nice little collection of custom calls. Even luckier in that each of them has been a gift, or a trade. Haven't paid for any of them. But there are a few of them, that I know damn well had to have taken a full 8 hour day to make, maybe more. Like Ronnie just said, figure the rate a skilled craftsman makes, and those SHOULD be some mighty damn expensive calls.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted July 23, 2004 09:10 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
I received in the mail today a "smoke' acrylic predator call made by Ryan at "RAW" calls. DDDDDamn- I'm not easily impressed anymore but this one did it. Absolutely first class all the way. From the transparent plastic tube that it was packaged in to the logoed black velvet draw-stringed sack that contained the jewel itself this is in a class of it's own. I like the sound produced by this call also. It has the good solid sound that hardwood has instead of the "tinny" sound of plastic. We traded across so I have no idea how much this call costs. Like Ronnie says, after factoring in a skilled technicians wages sticker shock could be a danger.

[ July 23, 2004, 09:12 PM: Message edited by: Rich Higgins ]

IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 23, 2004 09:21 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, I know what you mean!

As it happens, I have almost an exact same Higgins Howler as yours, complete with the large inlaid coyote head on the front.

I don't see how Rich could have made it in (only) eight hours? Although it was a gift, I wouldn't part with it for any money; but it has to be worth several hundred dollars, just as a work of art.

But, we are talking about different things.

A call such as that is justified. However, the Cabelas catalog, and others, is full of one hundred dollar, semi-production duck calls.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

crapshoot
Member # 225

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2004 06:39 PM      Profile for crapshoot   Email crapshoot         Edit/Delete Post 
 -
This is my most pized posession when it comes to custom calls. It was made by a friend of mine, Travis Lindley. Like yours Loenard, it was a gift also and I would never part with it for anything. I dont even dare take it out calling. It just hangs off the head of my coyote rug and looks pretty. Someday I too hope to be a proud owner of a Higgins howler. [Smile]

[ July 24, 2004, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: crapshoot ]

Posts: 44 | From: S. Nevada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2004 09:21 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! You got a beauty, crapshoot! Too bad it won't go hunting, but the right decision.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2004 07:56 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Crapshoot, Travis and I swapped howlers and mine looks very much like yours. I hung mine on the wall where it will remain. I can visualize sitting down on my Lindley howler on some stand, crushing those fragile carvings and crying like a baby.
Leonard, I sure am glad you like your howler. You sound good on it too.

varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2004 09:28 AM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Have only taken my Higgins's Howler on two stands. Even though I had it in a bag, In a pack. Strapped to my front four wheeler rack. I was a nervous wreck.

I can hear the fireman asking my wife, "You are saying he went back into a blazing inferno, For a Cow horn?."

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2004 01:47 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I use my Higgins howler a LOT. A lot of days, I carry it all the time.

Just a few days ago, I used it to bring in an adult and two pups.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
WhiteMtnCur
Member # 5

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2004 04:11 PM      Profile for WhiteMtnCur   Author's Homepage   Email WhiteMtnCur         Edit/Delete Post 
After I received my Higgin's Howler, it spent most of it's time hanging up looking pretty. I couldn't get over the sound quality and eventually took it hunting. It hasn't left my bag of "necessary hunting calls" since then.

It's no longer shiny, and somewhere along the way the silver coyote inlay on one side came off. But it's the best howler I've ever used.

If I lost mine I'd be willing to dig pretty deep to get a replacement.

Posts: 97 | From: Nevada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2004 07:36 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Trevor! Where have you been, dude?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2004 08:05 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Trevor, been awhile. Send the howler to me and I'll cast a new onlay for you.
WhiteMtnCur
Member # 5

Icon 1 posted July 26, 2004 08:49 PM      Profile for WhiteMtnCur   Author's Homepage   Email WhiteMtnCur         Edit/Delete Post 
I took a job in Wyoming for the winter/spring and didn't have internet access. I'm off those ranches now as the big-game hunts are about to start so I'm back in Utah (and online).

Did I miss much?

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 26, 2004 09:30 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I just want to know if you have been night hunting with that light I sent you? Do you like it?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

WhiteMtnCur
Member # 5

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2004 01:52 PM      Profile for WhiteMtnCur   Author's Homepage   Email WhiteMtnCur         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I've actually used it quite a bit. This past winter it was often getting a workout 2-3 night a week. I'll never go back to any traditional spotlights.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2004 02:00 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Great, glad you like it.

I have been preaching, for years, that the whole dang country is in the stone age, as far as R&D on that type of night hunting equipment. [Smile]

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

brent Saxton
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2004 10:49 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Custom duck calls have a big price to go with them! And some turkey calls to! I agree with alot of what has been said about the cost. But some of those duck calls has to take a long, long time to make! I have made turkey calls for years and some that I put in NWTF contests. Some of them I could never get enough money out of to cover all the time I put in them. Collectors buy alot of them. When I traveled and done sport shows, hunting show, at first there were several turkey call makers arounf but now....WOW...They are everywere! And its almost like the need to make a better more fancy, call was the need to be able to sell. I dont think predator calls have got that far yet...But I am seeing alot more call makers and some very, very fine work out there. Some of the call makers should be geting alot more money out of there predator calls! I like to trade and if I sell then thats fine but its more of a hobbie/fun/relaxing thing for me. And knowing that someone is geting a call that has alot of heart put in it is the thing that makes you feel good. But I think some day you will see the high prices in some predator custom calls, some of them are in a class of there own now!

Kee

howler
Member # 197

Icon 10 posted July 31, 2004 11:49 PM      Profile for howler   Email howler         Edit/Delete Post 
Brad h,
I'll bet the last Pres that dusted a coyote did it about 100 miles east of Glendive. over near Medora, right !!

--------------------
Powder River let'r Buck

Posts: 53 | From: Glasgow, Montana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
brad h
Member # 57

Icon 1 posted August 01, 2004 09:46 AM      Profile for brad h   Email brad h         Edit/Delete Post 
Howler

I'll bet you're right, considering the outdoorsman Roosevelt was. He was probably the biggest hunter of the presidents.

Speaking of that, it's interesting to read about the similarities between now and 120 years ago. A lot of the techniques and thought processes concerning hunting haven't changed, just advanced.

http://www.pbs.org/weta/thewest/resources/archives/seven/w67trmem/w67tr09.htm

[ August 01, 2004, 09:59 AM: Message edited by: brad h ]

Posts: 346 | From: Glendive MT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters