The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » Fawn Decoys......

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fawn Decoys......
Curt2u
Knows what it's all about
Member # 74

Icon 5 posted August 09, 2003 03:23 PM      Profile for Curt2u   Email Curt2u         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys! Was trying to call bear the other day. I was using a fawn decoy at the time. I was set up at the fringe of a large meadow along a creek. There were patches of pine and oak through the meadow.

I had 4 coyotes come across the large open meadow to the fawn cries coming from the Foxpro. They came to the backside of a large patch of trees. I could see them milling around behind it but every time I got a bead on them they started moving again. When they finally got a good look at the fawn decoy it seemed to freak them out. They were eager to get there till they saw the fawn. They didn't wind me but slowly left the area. Never did get a shot. Didn't really matter as I wasn't after coyotes. I was wondering if any of you have had this kind of reaction to a fawn decoy.

Not very brave coyotes around here I guess. LOL!

Take care, Curt

Posts: 236 | From: NW | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2003 05:38 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Curt, it doesn't surprise me at all. I have really mixed results with decoys and coyotes. I have them come into a snow goose decoy that varmit hunter sent me, but they are frightened off by a Sceery turkey decoy about half the time. My little blonde Pomeranian sometimes draws them in and sometimes they head for the next zip code when they see her. Maybe the next time you use it they will run off WITH it.
IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2003 07:26 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I used a tanned, cased coyote stuffed with soft foam, for a while. I came to the conclusion that it scared off a lot more coyotes than it attracted. (based on actual observations)

Now, this brings a question to mind. Just how effective is a visual decoy, as an attractant? Now, how about howling, in the same vein? I wonder if a howl may discourage certain coyotes, coyotes that would come to a prey distress?

Just wondering.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31460 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curt2u
Member # 74

Icon 1 posted August 10, 2003 06:16 AM      Profile for Curt2u   Email Curt2u         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like I'm not the only one that has weird stuff happen with decoys. I used that Rigor Rabbit for awhile when it first came out. Now that thing flat scared off coyotes. Those that weren't scared put the brakes on and just watched. The Rigor Rabbit may be different now but the old one had a cycle where it would shake violently. It was quite loud too. Had coyotes in the woods just swap ends and leave. LOL

Good point Leonard. I'm no biologist by any means. I'm sure there are dogs that may get spooked by howling occasionally. I personally can't recall seeing one turn tail on a howl. Quite the opposite in fact. I call some wide open areas where I can see the coyote react to the call sometimes and am surprised how young dogs will readily respond to a howl. Sometimes it is all it takes. Course for all I know maybe 2 more are running off in a draw. LOL!

I will admit that on the average the coyotes that do respond to my howling are older, mature coyotes it seems. The more confrontational the howling, the older they are. I normally try to keep it non-threatening unless challanged. Had some real trash talking sessions with coyotes that finally came in. Seems like older coyotes every time if I remember right.

Seems like around here, day in and day out, the success rate is a bit higher adding howling. Don't know if it is because a lot of people around here use the common distress sound and it lets the coyotes guard down a bit adding a howl or what. I know many people do great without ever howling in other areas.

Take care, Curt

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted August 10, 2003 07:31 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Curt, I've never used a fawn decoy before. I have messed around with a couple of other decoys on the market though. To sum up my experience with decoys for coyotes is that the reaction you get is unpredictable. I've had coyotes pick up the pace and come hard and fast to get the decoy. Had them stop and not come a step closer once they notice it. Turn tail and leave once they see it also. Actually had coyotes ignore the decoy totally and keep coming to the sound (When handcalling and the decoy is placed out in front of me).

There were times when I thought the decoy was a big help and other times when I know it hurt things. I'm sure in some terrain and areas a decoy can help. For me, and the terrain I call I don't use the decoy anymore.

As for howling I use it alot and I think it helps much more than it hurts, but there are times when I think it may have a somewhat negative effect also. I haven't seen one turn tail and run from howling either. There are times when it may slow down their response and make them more cautious in the approach. It's anybody's guess what's going through the mind of each different coyote and situation though.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 10, 2003 09:14 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, we may never know. In fact, it's understood that we ain't gonna figure out coyotes completely. Check back with this page in a hundred years and see just how much we've learned.

Don't take this wrong: I have hunted in some of the most productive coyote areas on the face of the earth. Combination of hard work and blind luck.

I have reached the conclusion that there is no place I can stop, to make a stand where a coyote will not hear my distress cries or howls. The question becomes, where's the best place to shoot them when they appear.

I have used howls without response. I have used distress, without response. I have switched, and had response. But, in these special areas, it is not ever a case where there was no coyote around. And, usually, they don't require special coaxing; the trick is to be ready, and dump every one you see.

Occasionally it happens where they heard me, but they won't come in, howls or prey distress, doesn't matter. I have no clue, as to why the situation changes, I just know that they can be turned on and off, collectively.

Sometimes, they all howl, chatter from all points of the compass; and sometimes, I'm reluctant to howl, because they are unusually quiet.

But, in some ways, in these certain places, it is a luxury to know that the reason you don't see a response is not because they aren't there.

It still requires figuring out. Solutions can be different, day to day.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Curt2u
Member # 74

Icon 1 posted August 10, 2003 10:49 AM      Profile for Curt2u   Email Curt2u         Edit/Delete Post 
Lonny, it always freaks me out how similar the calling seems to be out in your neck of the woods. We have a lot of the same things going on it seems. [Smile]

Leonard, well said as usual. Have to agree with everything you said as well. Weird how what works great one time, won't work another. What works good one season, sometimes doesn't work worth a hoot the next. It is like a switch is being flipped. Other things just need a rest and start being effective again it seems. Humbling sometimes. [Smile]

One thing I forgot to mention. I haven't used it enough to know if it will continue to work but I was given a fawn skin by Bob Ruse out in Walla Walla. It is just big enough to drape over a caller. I haven't had anything run from this yet. Probably the smaller less intimidating profile and lack of movement. Dunno. Coyotes seemed eager to get at this form of decoy, but they may have been just as eager without it. Like Leonard said, it still requires figuring out. There seems to be very few constants in this calling game. LOL!

You guys take care, Curt

varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted August 10, 2003 08:11 PM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Going to put my neck on the chopping block on this one. I represent Feather Flex Decoys. We make the Fawn, And the Rigor Rabbit. I have had the same experiences as you.

I have seen the Fawn jumped on so hard. I thought the Coyote was going to impale himself on the stake. Have seen them do a 180 with after burner on. Dammed if we know why.

Now the one that blows my mind is the Snow Goose decoy. They only weigh 4 ounces. When we first came out with them. The company sent me 36 with directions to stake them in a rice field, To see how they would stand up to the weather.

At the end of two weeks there was not one single decoy left with a head on it. Some had been cared of 200 yards and chewed to shreds. Like the Coyote thought if I chew on this thing long enough I will find some meat.

That first year. I would kill at least one Coyote every foggy morning after I started my Goose calling.

I have used the Snow Goose while blowing a rabbit call in places were there has never been a Goose. Trust me, They are going to jump it.

All I know, Is that is one of those things they know, And there not telling.

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 14 posted August 10, 2003 08:51 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Varmit Hunter, Thanks for sharing your experiences with the snow goose decoy. Sounds like that might be the best decoy going. I always enjoy your humor and no bullsh!t answers. [Smile] Take care.
Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curt2u
Member # 74

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2003 03:44 PM      Profile for Curt2u   Email Curt2u         Edit/Delete Post 
varmit hunter, ditto what Lonny said. Hope you didn't think I was rippin' on your products. I have had some positive results with the fawn decoy for larger predators. Talk about hassle free transport. I really like it. Was quite funny to see the coyotes reaction to it. Another day they would probably attack the dang thing. LOL!

The rigor rabbit I used mostly in the thick woods so the coyotes were very close when they finally would see it. I think that's why they got alarmed. I have since modified the rigor rabbit I own. I took an old shotgun magazine spring and cut a 1 foot chunk off it. Removed the weight off the rigor rabbit motorized base. Attached the spring sticking straight up and wrapped the spring with cloth camo tape. Tied a strip of deer hide to the end of the spring. Now it is quiet and doesn't seem to spook them as bad. Slowly flips the piece of hide around. I used it in the open stubble fields a bit last season and a few quickly came in close and some would stop and watch it from 50 yards or so. None ran off so far though. Haven't used it much yet.

Take care, Curt

WhiteMtnCur
Member # 5

Icon 1 posted August 13, 2003 05:56 PM      Profile for WhiteMtnCur   Author's Homepage   Email WhiteMtnCur         Edit/Delete Post 
This does kind of change the subject, but it's food for thought.

Earlier this year I took my 10 month old Dorn Dog calling with me to start training it to decoy. He'd been on trapped coyotes all season, and knew coyotes well, but had little experience with called coyotes. He was a timid dog anyway, if you said his name loud enough he'd roll onto his back and piss on himself.

I howled in a large coyote that came in slow with his head low and hackles up. My dog and the coyote didn't see each other until the coyote came up out of a break and was 50 yards from my dog. The coyote tucked his tail and followed his same trail pretty quickly. He stopped at 250 yards and I shot him: male, 4-5 years old, 35lbs, scarred on his face. So much for the badass coyote coming to kick as intruders butt.

I've had some pretty interesting experiences when calling with dogs. But this one still perplexes me.

By the way, that Dorn Dog is no longer timid around called coyotes.

Posts: 97 | From: Nevada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 14, 2003 09:25 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I just don't know about decoys, in general. Depends on the situation.

If you had a book of matches, and they were useful to light a cigar or a campfire, but every third match blew up in your hand, you might evaluate the overall advantage, and limit your fire building to essential stuff, or in the case of decoys, maybe(?) use them in obvious cat habitat.

When you think of it, what are you trying to do with a decoy? If you have a remote speaker, that's where they will be focused. If you are hand calling, it's different, but the same deal...they will be focused on you and your position; not some fake rabbit, ducking and weaving, over yonder.

So, if you lose an animal because he was spooked by your decoy, whatever it is, then you might not want to take the time to set it up, since there are other ways to get an animal to check up for a shot. If I have anything in my setup that has the potential to spook an animal, I need to give it a hard look, and decide what actual advantage it offers.

Bottom line: whatever works. Enjoy.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Predator Spanker
Member # 82

Icon 1 posted August 15, 2003 05:17 AM      Profile for Predator Spanker           Edit/Delete Post 
Decoys have their place, I have had mixed results whih them however. Non intimidating decoys like feather and fur patch decoys have worked best for me. I find that a decoy in the wide open will keep the predators attention without spooking them as frequently. I have also noticed that sounds that are nonintimidating work the best with decoys.
Bunnies, Woodpeckers, other high pitch non intimating sounds. I never liked using fawn sounds or coyote vocalizations with decoys expecally the larger decoys. I have watched red fox come barreling in only to see a larger decoy and turn tail. I had younger coyotes about turn inside out when I made a fawn decoy move.
I had both coyotes and gray gox pounce on decoys also. The big picture here is non itimidating decoys. The other thing that has worked for me for Red fox is keeping the decoy between the caller and where I believe his approach will be. I don't call aimlessly I find calling towards cover such as a swamp or RR bed, or basically anywhere that is conducive to the food source is most beneficial so long as the wind works.
Most of the predators I kill have stoped or atleast slowed down when they made visual contact with a decoy. At that time they make a decision as to what they are going to do. This I find is a critical second. And this is what will make you or break you. My responce at that time is based on my gut fealings by reading the critters body lanuage. The sound creates the initial interest the scent plays on them but the decoy can either make it for you or break it for you. The personally of the predator responding should also determine if you need the decoy to move or not.
I find with every predator I have ever called up that they are looking for the source of the sound when they come in. Even the pups are not afraid of a little patch of fur, they are afraid of getting their tail kicked by big daddy though.

Posts: 11 | From: PA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters