The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » A request for input (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: A request for input
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 16, 2014 11:47 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm? I have shot coyotes in Mexico from the U.S. side, climbed the fence and dragged them back. In retrospect, pretty stupid!

On the other hand, is the border, the fence, or the stone monuments some distance beyond the fence? In that case maybe I wasn't actually in Mexico?

Of course, I could be making this up?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31460 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2014 04:40 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Who is the patron saint of lost causes anyway? LOL
That would be St. Lance of Abilene... [Smile]

Go for it, you have my support!

[ April 17, 2014, 04:41 AM: Message edited by: booger ]

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Wily E
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2014 05:26 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Lance,

SD does not allow you to discharge a firearm from a public road during a big game firearm season. Deer or Antelope. That might be your middle ground. I would absolutely exempt landowners who own the land. By using the wording, "during a big game firearm season", you still allow the shooting of coyotes at the time of year when they are doing most of their damage (Feb. - July).

I think that is your middle ground.

Here would be my wording:

It is unlawful to discharge a firearm from a public road right of way during any big game firearm season. The only exceptions to this law would be for a landowner or land manager who owns or manages the property he is shooting towards.

Or something like that.

Leave the coyote issue completely out of it (except for the landowner exemption) and address the problem (shooting a firearm from a public road right of way). Public would be defined as a road that is maintained with public funding (state, county, or township).

Just my thoughts.

Upon further thought, you need to write an exemption specifically for Leonard and his night calling rig. Impressive enough to deserve the right of passage. LOL!

~SH~

[ April 20, 2014, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: Wily E ]

IP: Logged
Wily E
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2014 03:44 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Lance,

Checked into this a little bit further with two different conservation officers. There is two laws currently in effect. One pertains to shooting at big game from a public road right of way and the other involves a protruding firearm. I actually received conflicting opinions which only serves to further confuse the issue.

As it stands, you may not shoot at a big game animal from a public road right nor can you have a gun protruding from a vehicle during a big game season but as I understand it, you can shoot at a coyote if you have permission from the landowner you are shooting towards. It used to be that you could not discharge a firearm from a public road right of way during a big game season.

Here's the bottom line as I understand it. If you shoot at a big game animal from a public road right of way during a big game season you can be ticketed. If you have a rifle protruding from the vehicle during a big game season without firing, you can be ticketed. If you have a gun protruding from a vehicle during a big game season and you shoot it at a coyote with permission from the landowner you are shooting towards, you are not in violation.

How do you like that for confusion?

~SH~

[ April 27, 2014, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: Wily E ]

IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2014 07:00 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, I agree. I hope to meet with our local warden and share some of the points that have been raised here as well as the list of states that has been compiled and what has been provided as to road hunting. I don't know about other states, but getting a prosecutor and/or judge to take an offense seriously in Kansas seems to be a problem. I've seen some pretty egregious offenses pleaded down to all but nothing when the dust cleared. Is very frustrating for wardens who just want to do their job.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters