The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Finally, PBS makes a program worth watching

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Finally, PBS makes a program worth watching
Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2014 04:29 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a great wife who saw this PBS special so she recorded it for me. It talks about the big eastern coyote, AKA coywolf. Researchers found a breed of wolf in Algonquin Park, Canada called the eastern wolf that can breed with both wolf and coyote. They act as the genetic bridge that created the coywolf. Luckily, PBS has this video available on line. Enjoy:

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365159966/

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1924 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2014 11:33 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Try this linky

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episodes/meet-the-coywolf/meet-the-coywolf/8605/

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2014 08:45 PM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a feeling if this "coy-wolf" term catches on it will rub me more than set and yotie (every variation there of) combined.

Unless this can be turned to somehow proclaim that the wolf is fully recovered nation wide. I see no advantage to tying wolves to coyotes.

Edit: Enjoyed it otherwise.

[ January 24, 2014, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: Bryan J ]

Posts: 599 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aznative
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2014 11:22 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
You are right Bryan. They have somehow tied the Burro to wild Mustangs, thus they are now protected under the Mustang protection act. Also Ravens are now considered Raptors and are protected yet their numbers are numerous.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2014 11:47 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting choice between a bird that doesn't need protection and a reptile that does.

-

These are my baby hatchlings, I actually have three. In the wild, ravens are prolific predators of baby tortoises. So, I believe the Feds SHARPSHOOTERS, (hate that word) are authorized to occasionally kill ravens. But heaven help the poor slob that mistakes a raven for a crow!

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: hard to judge scale here; but of these two, the larger is smaller than a tennis ball and the little one one is golf ball size.

[ January 26, 2014, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2014 01:55 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
El Bee;
Do you remember a few years back when the endangered Golden Eagles got onto (I believe) Santa Cruz Island and were killing the endangered Island Foxes ??
I don't remember what the outcome was but there was much hand wringing over it by the people who really care-you can help-send in your donation of just pennies a day...................

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2014 02:39 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't recall that, koko? Sounds believable, except the "endangered" part. Neither Bald Eagles nor Golden Eagles need protection, near as I can tell?

I know the Cleveland Amery group was fighting the eradication of goats and hogs from most of the channel islands. In a misguided effort to "save" these poor creatures, and stop the Navy from shooting them, they gained permission through the courts to capture them with helicopters. I don't remember if they caught one or none, in this cluster fuck? But, it didn't work. Then the Navy wimped out. I don't know what's going on out there, these days but I think there are still quite a few goats and bison on Santa Catalina Island? San Clemente? Who cares? You can't set foot on that one, nor Annacapa, on that one you risk a citation, on San Clemente, probably arrest, unless you get yourself blown up from unexploded ordinance?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2014 03:23 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Nevada has been trying to kill as many ravens as they can for years. To help the sage grouse eggs.

From what I hear, they have given up on killing them. Now they are making an effort to deny them sustenance, by cleaning up road kill quickly.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2014 03:43 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
"..........cleaning up road kill quickly"

That must be those `shovel ready` jobs o bama created.

The wild / feral goats that were rescued were held near Castaic for adoption.
Nobody did.
Nasty creatures that no one wanted.
When they no longer had publicity value they were quietly sold to a `ranch` near Cherry Valley that charged trophy fees.

I used the word `endangered` when perhaps I should have said `protected`.
Very protected.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2014 04:38 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
I heard second or third hand from someone within the AZGFD, "When they are alive and in the air, they are ravens, when they are dead and on the ground, they are crows." YMMV.

Coy-wolf is somewhat offensive to me as well. I suppose anything is possible. After all, we have Labradoodles.

Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
Aznative
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2014 04:52 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
Jimanaz: The manager at my favorite gun store claims he called AZ Game and Fish and told tbat

--------------------

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2014 05:44 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I did enjoy the show, but don't subscribe to the 'coy-wolf' moniker either. They're just big coyotes to me, and I friggin' love trying to kill them crafty suckas.
These eastern coyotes do act somewhat differently than coyotes do elsewehere. But there are simply too many other environmental factors involved to single out the presence of wolf DNA as the only explanation for it.
Shit just don't work like that, IMHO...

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Eddie
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4324

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2014 06:06 AM      Profile for Eddie   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't care what there going to call it. What difference does it make? If they will let you hunt it then get it on. That's the way I see it.
Posts: 275 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
jimanaz
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2014 01:15 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
Just watched it all the way through. I bet a couple of our residents would like a go at that dog toy collecting, "untrappable" coyote. Also a nice bit of decoying right at the end, lol.

My neighbors saw, followed, and photoed a coyote in my 'hood a couple weeks ago. The chase started just outside my yard and went on for quite a while during the middle of the day. I'm sure my coyote hating dog and this rascal have exchanged pleasantries. I had to see the picture for proof. No golf course or other open type refuge for a couple miles. A true urban coyote.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2014 02:03 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Do I detect a certain pride in having your urban coyotes in the LAND OF THE WHITE PICK UP?

Yes or no, I kind of like having them around, here in THE LAND OF THE FRUITS AND THE NUTS.

The body count, (as I know it) is about a dozen or so cats in the neighborhood. I had one walk along the top of my 6ft. block wall several years ago. Quite a treat, actually.

But, ours are kinda seasonal. Have not done a study, but when they are around, it's in clusters.

Only a couple months ago, the people across the street "had" three black cats. One day, broad daylight, their dog started getting real excited and they let her out the front door and she immediately engaged in a tug of war with a YOY pup coyote over one of their black cats. Georgia won the contest but the cat was dead, what with several humans trying to help. Previously, the only remains they found of "Gretsky" a few years ago, was his head, half way down the block. I'm sure they have a different attitude than I, although I have lost three cats on this side of the street.

So, I can't really call ours, "URBAN" coyotes. But, the word goes out when they are on CAT PATROL in the neighborhood. Interesting tactic, one on either side of the street. Cat flushes, runs across the street and immediately gets chomped by the other coyote. Yum!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

jimanaz
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2014 03:23 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
No pride, I was actually shocked. I knew she had taken a picture of a dog. It wasn't. I know coyotes live in and around the PHX area in very healthy numbers. I just didn't think my 'hood would be particularly attractive. Might be a good place to make a living, but a tough place to lay up. Live and learn.
Rick Howard
Member # 4481

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2014 09:18 PM      Profile for Rick Howard   Email Rick Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this, or something similar, on a CBC show called "nature and things". The fella doing much of the research has a web page. His intent is to limit hunting. He has recommendations to state agencies laid out on his web page.

http://www.easterncoyoteresearch.com/

I don't like the term coy-wolf either. From what I understand either does the author but, he likes the term with intent to offer coyotes protection aligned with what is givem to wolves.

Interesting stuff though. I liked the show.

Posts: 12 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2014 03:36 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't like the term coy-wolf either. From what I understand either does the author but, he likes the term with intent to offer coyotes protection aligned with what is given to wolves.
Which tends to make one suspicious of this whole "coywolf" designation.
Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2014 07:23 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to The New HuntmastersBBS.com, Rick Howard. Glad to have you on board.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Rick Howard
Member # 4481

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2014 08:40 AM      Profile for Rick Howard   Email Rick Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Sir. I have been signed up for a bit. I check in from time to time. I like the content here very much. Some familiar faces (well screen names) around here too.
Posts: 12 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged
Cayotaytalker
DOES NOT TEACH/SUSPECTED OKIE
Member # 1954

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2014 09:11 AM      Profile for Cayotaytalker   Email Cayotaytalker         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the Info in the Nevada Hunt book could cause a guy to say "Huh' to his self. So far as to some of the remarks about the ravens.
I'm talking about the hunt books dating back to say about six years ago and older.
It seams to me they almost came right out and said shot them. That was in the front of the book and towards the back of the book they brought up the fact that ravens were migratory birds.
Now of course this is coming from the depths of my memory banks and is not any where close to the hard facts.
But it really did make me kind a wonder.
I just never shot any.
And just like any one that lives out here in the west knows it's wide open and few people and law men between.
So if a guy busted a few ravens who the hell would know anyway.
And farther more who the hell would care.
And just for the record as sports men , gun owners , hunters. When should never break the law when we are in the out doors.
So I don't advocate breaking the law.
I've called in a lot of ravens in Nevada as well as hawks and golden eagles.
In fact I'm most likely the best bird caller on this here rock!
The Arizona ravens are a hell of a lot wilder they see a pick up truck just slow down a little and there gone.
As far as the coy wolf comments.
Well Coyotay good coy wolf bad.

And if you like that great wisdom keep me in mind I'm making a bid for the white house in 2016.
Yes I have to move you see Tepee full of shit.

--------------------
Now thats prime coyote country!

Posts: 403 | From: LasVegas Nevada | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters