The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Wounded bobcat in a brush pile

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wounded bobcat in a brush pile
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2013 05:17 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Happened about 4 today. Hit bad. Pretty pissed. Gonna have to go in after him. Not much more to say about this.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chris S
"SPECIAL ACCOUNT" HM's Facebook page moderator & runs with scissors
Member # 3888

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2014 08:09 PM      Profile for Chris S           Edit/Delete Post 
How'd that turn out?
Posts: 534 | From: Oakland County, MI USA Earth | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
the bearhunter
HM PROSTAFF & MIDWEST REGIONAL GURU VOTED MOST HANDSOME MINNESOTAN
Member # 3552

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2014 02:03 AM      Profile for the bearhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
bring a dog??
Posts: 1049 | From: minnifornia | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2014 03:44 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Only had that happen once the guy I was with took a marginal shot on a bobcat it headed for the brush. we had no problem locating it, it made so much noise we always knew where it was. I just took a shotgun and finished the job. It was bitch digging him outta there. Good luck Lance.

[ January 03, 2014, 03:46 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2014 06:01 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Good blood. Spent four hours disassembling what we could but failed to find it. Told Kevin that there's an iron clad rule when shooting cats: Kill them with the first shot or it'll take five more shots to finish the job. A coyote can survive a bad hit on sheer will to live. Cats just get too pissed to die. It was very disappointing to say the least. I start eleven days of annual leave today to target whatever will die for me and already have to skip today due to 30 mph wind.

Sorry for such a long post here. Seems that HM is becoming FB and instead of posting, we update our statuses. LOL

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2014 09:20 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I somehow missed this first post? But, I read it this morning with great interest. Why? Because, it's never happened to me! Not much has never happened to me as far as things that could go right or wrong in a hunting situation, but never this one.

I have had a cripple, now and then but I can't say that I ever lost one. Oops! I'm wrong, now that I think of it. I lost one in Utah, around Minersville, one night. We looked and looked and although we knew he was hit, just couldn't find him in no more than knee high sage.

As it happened, we were riding through that day (but much later) and decided to stop and try again. Almost immediately, we found where he laid, blood and a nice turd. Maybe he moved before we got out there but we followed a trail down a wash for close to half a mile then kept going, based on two of my general rules.

First, a bobcat that goes DOWN, instead of UP, is a mortally wounded cat. Second, if a coyote gets a half a mile away, I will probably never find him because the blood will stop, for one thing.

Never applied that personal yardstick to bobcats because it never happened but in the absence of another experience, it seemed to be a working hypothesis, in that case.

That's the only cat that ever got away. A bobcat will always climb, if he can and if he doesn't, I expect to get him because he will be either dead not far away, or I might have to finish him, but when they go downhill I am very confident. They are never in a hurry, either way.

One time, this cat went uphill, (and I eventually got him) he was just hit in the back foot, so that didn't prevent him from climbing. Never knew how or why my scope got knocked off, but that was the reason for such a bad hit. But, they are big babies, stopping to lick, etc. A coyote has no time for that shit, they need to get the hell out of Dodge!

Actually, thinking about it, I have had very good luck recovering cats, and out here, brush piles are almost non existent. I'm wondering why you didn't get a couple dogs, Lance? Might have helped?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31448 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TundraWookie
Knows what it's all about
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2014 10:56 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Cats don't seem to fight a trap much either. I've seen lynx caught by a toe just sitting there waiting. Canines and wolverine will really destroy the place (or themselves) to get out of that trap though.
Posts: 857 | From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2014 11:14 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Roll up a sleeve and reach up in that brush pile, far as ya can.
When you feel the cat, keep pokin' at it til it grabs a hold. Then, just pull your arm back outta there with attached bobcat...

Okie cat noodlin' 101

And don't forget the vidcam!!!

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2014 11:44 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, thanks Fred. Can't wait to try it. After I get the hang of sticking a wet noodle up a wildcat's ass, I will give it a try.

I don't think a "sleeve" would look like a "sleeve" after that stunt.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31448 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2014 11:58 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe one of our resident Okies can post an instructional vid?

I was under the impression that noodlin' is standard testing criteria for Jr. high school Regents exams in Okieland...

In all seriousness, I have a cat/hound huntin' video from Maine and they bay quite a few up on the ground. After watching a big tom wreck some hounds, I think I'd rather try to stop a chainsaw by hand than try to grab one of them suckas!!!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2014 01:13 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Bobcat; AKA Razorblade with a heartbeat.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eddie
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4324

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2014 04:51 PM      Profile for Eddie   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
OK boys just because its a new year you don't have to come up with the Okie jokes. You done went and put old Tim out to pasture and now you lost your little cat too. Get a dog and go find it. If its in a hole get some old barbwire double it and twist the cat out it ain't that hard. Hell even you fellows from back east and out on the west coast could do it. There you go another problem solve by us OKIES!!! You guys would be lost if we weren't around. One thing about a Okie we don't have big egos just a lot of common sense, somebody got to live in the middle between you Yankees and people out on the west coast. [Big Grin]
Posts: 275 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2014 06:34 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin got a decent hit on him right about 4. he went down, laid there for about ten seconds, then resurrected himself before jumping up, "spinning like a hit coyote", then suddenly lining out and going like hell over a terrace and to the creek. Through the creek timber, across a small field, down into another creek timber, up the other side and into a brush pile. He seems to have known ahead of time where he was going. K ran through ankle deep mud and plowed fields in chasing him and when he got to the pile, he could just see the mid section of the cat through the brush. he backed off and shot at him, he lurched, and he went deeper into the brush pile. This was about 4:30 or so. He spent the next hour or so trying to get in after him before it got completely dark and he didn't have a light. He called me. First light the next morning, we went in and found a spot under some brush where the cat had laid up and left a decent 4-inch puddle of blood. We started pulling branches out to get deeper into the pile where we couldn't see well. The pile is pretty old because a lot of the branches were half rotten. At the same time, once we got into the core, we were dealing with tree trunks a foot wide totally packed in with rubbish from woodrat nests and dirt that had accumulated over the years. Couldn't find any tunnels or holes large enough to accommodate a squirrel going in or we would have looked. Without a front end loader, there was no easy way for us to disassemble the pile any further. There was snow around about half the perimeter of the pile and no evidence that the cat had escaped over any of that snow. We were on hands and knees examining the bare ground at ten and twenty feet out and found nothing. We checked snow along the creek's edge further away and nothing. People around here use hounds for coons. The only houndsmen that remain are hard core competition types. Even though cats are worth more, running bobcats is considered running trash and those dogs are strongly discouraged from doing that. Now, I have a two year old rat terrier that would love the chance to go hunting, but the wife would neuter me for even suggesting that we put Taz on that trail. Her obsession with squirrels is bad enough. LOL

We hated to walk away, but there just wasn't enough there to make us think he was anywhere around. [Frown]

Oh, and BTW, LB, I'd be careful with that "working hypothesis" bullshit, ya know. That kinda talk makes ya racist.

[ January 03, 2014, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2014 04:11 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
You're right, Eddie. Okie jokes should be made all year long, not just around the New Year!!! [Razz]
Anymore, I have more Okie friends on speed dial than Yankees, and there is always some sort of ball busting goin' on!!!

Sorry ya lost that cat, c dude...

Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2014 01:58 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, ked. I didn't lose him, but my buddy did and I'll drop everything to go help track something down when it's needed. You have to make the effort.

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters